User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 May 2004, 16:22   #1
DMZ
Ceçi n'est pas un avatar

DMZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Mobile phones?

After many years swearing I'd not get another one, I'm in the market to buy (not rent) a new mobile phone.

To give some idea as to my general level of cluelessness, the last mobile phone I owned was the size, shape and weight of a small brick. What I'm looking for could basically be summarised as:

Plusses:
+ High resolution screen
+ WAP, GPRS
+ Bluetooth
+ SSH client

Minuses:
- Camera (no thanks)
- Pasty shaped
- Over £200
- Short battery life

Ideas? Suggestions?

Last edited by DMZ; 30 May 2004 at 16:28. Reason: keyboard crumb typos!
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2004, 16:30   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Mobile phones?

SPV e200, Nokia 6600
Unread 30 May 2004, 16:38   #3
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

similar question.

best phone after the p900, bearing in mind the following:

price, assuming contract phone at roughly 25 quid a month (network/specific deal unimportant) to be below 100 quid

fairly decent camera

mp3 player, preferably with mp3 ringtone facilities

large or easily expandable memory

java games a large plus

go go go
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2004, 16:43   #4
DMZ
Ceçi n'est pas un avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
SPV e200, Nokia 6600
It sounded interesting as something I'd not considered, but from what I can see, the SPV E200 is a discontinued model that was only available to Orange rental? Very short battery life, too - ah well.
Unread 30 May 2004, 16:51   #5
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
P900 or t610
He doesn't want a camera.
Other than that I'd go for the t630 or z600.
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2004, 17:09   #6
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

A lot of today's phone's got a camera on it. You might want to buy a phone that's good and has a camera but you don't have to use the camera.

My current phones are the Nokia 6820 and 3200.

The best I'd say is 6600.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2004, 17:44   #7
DMZ
Ceçi n'est pas un avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
A lot of today's phone's got a camera on it. You might want to buy a phone that's good and has a camera but you don't have to use the camera.

My current phones are the Nokia 6820 and 3200.

The best I'd say is 6600.
The camera isn't really that much of an issue, but given the choice between one with and one without, I'd go for the one without.

The 6600 looks a bit chunky, but would satisfy all the criteria, certainly the higher Nokias are the only ones likely to have SSH clients - probably looking at something cheaper like the T610 - not sure what advantage the T630 has over it other than being "newer?"
Unread 30 May 2004, 17:49   #8
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

I need a new phone, because my current one keeps switching itself off in the middle of calls (I think the battery is loose). I haven't the faintest clue about phones, though, so my decision is probably going to be based on which one looks the nicest.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2004, 17:50   #9
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

There's a Symbian version of Putty, so looking for phones that run that, rather than ones with a builti-in client might be a better idea...
Unread 30 May 2004, 18:28   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've got an SPV, which rocks. I just need to get an SD memory card for it, so I can use it as an mp3 player
Unread 30 May 2004, 20:06   #11
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point

T630 or a Z600, both are Sony Ericsson
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2004, 02:02   #12
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As long as it's small enough to be inconspicuous, looks reasonably nifty, has decent reception so you can talk to people, and has SMS capabilities without too much complication, what else are you really going to use it for?
Unread 31 May 2004, 02:06   #13
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

As an mp3 player.
Unread 31 May 2004, 02:10   #14
DMZ
Ceçi n'est pas un avatar

Personally I need GPRS, WAP and possibly the ability to run a SSH client to be able to talk to the multitude of servers in my care without lugging a laptop around with me everywhere I go.
Unread 31 May 2004, 02:26   #15
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

im just hoping that by november (end of my curent contract), they will release a 3g phone that is as small as the current crop of 2g phones. I could then make use of the extra free minutes 3 uses.

Perhaps 3 should introduce stripped down phones (none of the extra crap on current 3g phones - i.e make them similar to the 2g phones we have today). They would encourage people to switch (due to the extra free minutes), and when phones become small enough that also provide 3 services, to worry about selling those. Right now they should focus on brand loyalty and release stripped down phones that will get people to swtich to their network in hordes.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2004, 02:45   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My main problem with my 3G phone (I got one of the early NEC ones) is the utterly apalling battery life.

I've not used it since about 2 months after getting it.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2004, 09:11   #17
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Nokia 6230.
Unread 31 May 2004, 10:26   #18
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nokia 7600? How big is that on 3?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2004, 11:15   #19
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
I've got an SPV, which rocks. I just need to get an SD memory card for it, so I can use it as an mp3 player
How much was it? We got to play around with coding for them a while back, wanted one for mucking about with. Plus I do have to shift my current phone, she be ****ed.
Unread 31 May 2004, 11:21   #20
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

I got it for free in combination with a 1-year contract for 20 euro a month.

The only thing which one could complain about is it's battery life when you use it a lot, eg play movies, mp3's and whatnot on it for a good portion of the day - although that is mainly caused by the fact SD memory cards tend to suck some battery power
Unread 31 May 2004, 11:27   #21
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Might see if I can fiddle an upgrade then, I'm paying Voda £20 a month at the minute and have had my phone for 18 months or so, I demand newness!
Unread 31 May 2004, 18:54   #22
DMZ
Ceçi n'est pas un avatar

idimmu has the edge - my shortlist is down to the Sony Ericsson T610, T630 or P900, depending on how long I have to spend wading through networks and tariffs.
Unread 31 May 2004, 18:55   #23
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I wouldnt bother with the P900 and the T610 has been out ages.
Unread 31 May 2004, 19:53   #24
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
I wouldnt bother with the P900 and the T610 has been out ages.
the P900 is the best phone on the market and what does age have to do with quality?
Unread 31 May 2004, 19:56   #25
Stew
Made of Twigs

I have the p800 now and I'm fed up with it.
I know people with the p900 who are getting fed up with it.
It has the attributes sure but the size will piss you off eventually!
Unread 31 May 2004, 20:00   #26
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
I have the p800 now and I'm fed up with it.
I know people with the p900 who are getting fed up with it.
It has the attributes sure but the size will piss you off eventually!
the thing is though, the p900 isn't actually beaten by any other phone ever in anything except size and honest to god when you have something as good as the P900 who gives a shit? Anyway, it's only big when compared to tiny tiny phones
Unread 31 May 2004, 20:03   #27
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
the thing is though, the p900 isn't actually beaten by any other phone ever in anything except size and honest to god when you have something as good as the P900 who gives a shit?
The camera's shit in the dark.
Anyway I thought the above and thats why I got mine, but you dont use all the functions all the time, you do use its size (in the sense that you carry it) all the time.
Unread 31 May 2004, 20:07   #28
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
The camera's shit in the dark.
Anyway I thought the above and thats why I got mine, but you dont use all the functions all the time, you do use its size (in the sense that you carry it) all the time.
1)Night mode :ninja:

2)Where are you carrying it that it's too big? Its size has never been a problem other than 'if this was slightly smaller i could fish it out of my pocket slightly quicker'
Unread 31 May 2004, 21:21   #29
DMZ
Ceçi n'est pas un avatar

Of course, the K700 will be released within the next month.
Unread 31 May 2004, 21:28   #30
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
1)Night mode :ninja:
Its still shit on this, plus for night mode to work properly you have to hold it still for a while so it adjusts.
Unread 1 Jun 2004, 01:51   #31
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
Nokia 6230.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2004, 09:17   #32
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Samsung a800 or a300, or the t500