User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Nov 2003, 19:04   #1
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough
Which essay? Microeconomics this time

1. What factors, according to economic theory, are the main determinants of the effects on employment of introducing a minimum wage? Discuss the likely direction and magnitude of the employment effect in practice.

2. What are the costs of road congestion? Critically evaluate the policy instruments for reducing congestion in use or being considered (in the UK and/or other countries).

Thinking 2 as I can just shit on all the current policies. Anyone differ?
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 19:15   #2
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Which essay? Microeconomics this time

Go with 2. But try to bring up some possible solutions as well.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 21:17   #3
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about

Bath have offered me a place for economics. is it fun?!?!?!

I would do 2 becuase then you can talk about:
1 - congestion charge
2 - increased road tax
3 - the like £10bn investment in motorways the ogvernment announced a few months back
4 - investment in public transport/capaigns for people to use it
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 21:20   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Unread 26 Nov 2003, 21:20   #5
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

I like 2 because I can just basically say the government are being shit, and be justified. I can also be a total commie too if I feel like it.

Economics is okay, just hope you don't get John Sessions as a lecturer. Not very good at explaining imo.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 21:22   #6
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I would do 1 but that's because I did a module on Labour Economics in the third year which covered it.
Plus you can act all clever and say that a minimum wage actually increases employment.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 21:32   #7
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about

labour economics sucks, i saw a graph about how when wages get high then the supply of labour decreases becuase like they want to go and play golf and shit.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 21:33   #8
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

If you are a first year I think you should concentrate on doing Turan's Modern World Economy essay, and then email it to me.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 21:37   #9
Super
Sub

I didn't do Modern World Economy. I heard it was for fags.

Why do you want the essay?
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 21:39   #10
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super
I didn't do Modern World Economy. I heard it was for fags.

Why do you want the essay?
You heard correct.

I am trying to do it now, but haven't been to many lectures so have no idea what I am doing.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 01:33   #11
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
1. What factors, according to economic theory, are the main determinants of the effects on employment of introducing a minimum wage? Discuss the likely direction and magnitude of the employment effect in practice.

2. What are the costs of road congestion? Critically evaluate the policy instruments for reducing congestion in use or being considered (in the UK and/or other countries).

Do 1, do the normal bollocks of if above market qty creatin involuntary unemployment and comment on effects dependin on elasticity of supply of labour, then talk about monopsony andfind out min wage increases employment :shock:

Well thats wot I'd do...
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 01:50   #12
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
which economic theory?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 01:51   #13
Super
Sub

Communism
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 01:58   #14
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
andfind out min wage increases employment :shock:
It doesn't...

Do 1.
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 01:29   #15
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entium
It doesn't...

It does with monopsony because the supply curve is horizontal until meets original supply curve so break in MR curve where cuts MC. Duh.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 01:53   #16
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
It does with monopsony because the supply curve is horizontal until meets original supply curve so break in MR curve where cuts MC. Duh.
In real world there's neither a monopsony nor a horizontal aggregate suppy curve, so why bother with it?
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 03:42   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Communism

Communism isn't so much a theory as a collective delusional semi-emotional drivel-filled coma-inducing semi-Hegelian attempt at convincing simple-minded people that this really is a science and not the inane decreasingly applicable rant of a group of men violently reacting against all tradition and authority without a critical attempt to determine actual truth.

Of course we could also apply that to Rand, Christianity and Plato so who cares really?
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 13:33   #18
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'd do 1 as it's easy it's simple labour economics, also it doesn't increase employment it causes unemployment especially amoung young people, either way it doesn't matter as it's effect was nullified when it failed to keep pace with inflation.

Not sure about 2 as I've never really thought about it..
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 13:51   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
reacting against all tradition and authority
Sadly, this bit doesn't apply to most people calling themselves 'Communists'. They're generally far too acceptant of authority (and tradition for that matter, albeit a different tradition).

You need to be like me, T&F,or someone like Rosa Luxemburg to be a communist and properly reject authority.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 14:06   #20
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
You need to be like me or T&F to be a communist and properly reject authority.
Dont you both work for the government?
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 14:29   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Dont you both work for the government?
No. I work for a quasi-chairty / social landlord.
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 14:47   #22
Nodrog

Quote:
No. I work for a quasi-chairty / social landlord.
I thought you were a state housing officer.
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 14:49   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I thought you were a state housing officer.
No, I was going to be a housing officer (for the same company) but I work as a "Rent Account Manager" now. I get to go to court soon, although apparently you have to wear a tie
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 15:01   #24
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Sadly, this bit doesn't apply to most people calling themselves 'Communists'. They're generally far too acceptant of authority (and tradition for that matter, albeit a different tradition).

You need to be :cool: like me, T&F,or someone like Rosa Luxemburg to be a communist and properly reject authority.
Nah man I was talking about Marx and Engels rejecting authority just because. Now most communists are just horrible sell-outs.

PS I saw a women reading a Marxist newsletter on the bus the other day. I laughed, so hard :)
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 15:03   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Nah man I was talking about Marx and Engels rejecting authority just because
Hardly.
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 15:04   #26
Nodrog

Quote:
No, I was going to be a housing officer (for the same company) but I work as a "Rent Account Manager" now. I get to go to court soon, although apparently you have to wear a tie
But she told you she was 17
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 15:04   #27
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Hardly.

Excuse me doctor, I think I know a little something about medicine.
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 15:09   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
But she told you she was 17
Apparently the courts didn't like my "But I thought her school books were for effect" pre-court defence. Bourgeoise justice, huh?
Unread 29 Nov 2003, 01:06   #29
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Tobe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

1 st one requires such basic theory and explanation that you can go in depth with

2nd one transport sucks dick and no matter how good you think your essay is its really terrible