User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Oct 2003, 01:50   #1
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
simpsons vs futurama vs family guy vs south park

inspired by the "star trek series?" thread, I thought I'd turn to the four great comedy cartoons of our time...

Now I like all of them, and think it's a real injustice that only two of them are still in production. If I had to name a favourite, I'd choose The Simpsons because it has more "all time classic tv moments" than the others, but this may be because of the quantity of episodes made. New episodes just aren't special anymore.

The lack of taste/unintelligence of American audiences/TV executives is blamed for the axing of Futurama and Family Guy. Maybe this is the real reason the world hates America?

Finally, South Park - the weakest of the four, saved by that comic creation equal of Homer Simpson himself, who else but the wonderful Eric Cartman.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 02:21   #2
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Re: simpsons vs futurama vs family guy vs south park

family guy > the simpsons > futurama > south park
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 02:24   #3
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

dilly wins \o/
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 02:28   #4
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light

OH PLEASE....
Simpsons all the way man. They have provided us with many years of entertainment. how can you not have them top?!?!?!?!

:jester:

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 02:29   #5
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I downloaded the South Park movie the other day. I'd forgotten how damn funny it is. Some of it wasn't as funny as I found when I was 15 or so, but it was still hilarious.

But the Simpsons beats it by a mile. I don't know ONE person who doesn't like the Simpsons. It has humour for everyone.

I don't like Family Guy very much.

Futurama is ok, there is so much potential for it, but most of it is wasted. If the characters were easier to get into (like The Simpsons), it'd be a hell of a lot funnier.
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 02:29   #6
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn
dilly wins \o/

was there any doubt? :beerchug:
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 02:31   #7
AliasX
- Sex Therapist -

AliasX is an unknown quantity at this point

South Park > *
<meaple> I want 2 c ur cum
<Pyr0> patience young padowan
<AliasX> oh jeasus
<AliasX> this channel did turn gay
*** yahwe ([email protected]) has joined channel #forums
<Oye> that cant be a coincidence
<meaple> he heard you
AliasX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 02:33   #8
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly_D
was there any doubt? :beerchug:

YES, MUCH DOUBT and its still there. YOUR WRONG my misguided friend. Family guy is good, but nothing beats Simpsons.... :crackhead:

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 02:57   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's a tough one.

The Simpsons has many great points, many great quotes ('The voters view you as something of an ogre' 'Why, I ought to club them and eat their bones!'), however we've all seen it SO MUCH. The episodes of genius are just that though. Eg: You Only Move Twice, Homer vs the 18th Amendment.

Futurama, for all intents and purposes, is the geek version of The Simpsons. Many science fiction references, jokes about computer operating systems, this is one for the nerd end of society.

Family Guy is, in places, one of the most insanely funny things ever written. Eg; 'Where it says name I'll write 'Deceased', and where it says sex, I'll say 'No thanks, I'm DEAD'. It's BULLETPROOF.'

South Park is highly underrated for the most part, mainly because people only saw the first two or three series then gave up; however, the later episodes are more intelligent, more surreal and more funny. Check out Fat Butt and Pancake Head or Scott Tenormen Must Die. Or of course the Towlie episode.

Of the 4, south park is the weakest, although not by the distance that most people would have it. Despite their shorter runs, I also believe that Family Guy and Futurama have a lot to offer.

Hence:

1= Futurama, Family Guy
3 Simpsons
4 South Park
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 02:58   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

And to anyone who puts futurama lower than 2nd: BALDERCRAP. If you need me, I'll be in the angry dome.
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 03:24   #11
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

Simpsons > *

I can't believe anyone doubts about this!
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 03:50   #12
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As examples, the last two new episodes I saw were...

Brake My Wife, Please
Judge Harm revokes Homer's license, and he discovers the healthy joys of walking, while Marge becomes stressed by the added running around to the point where she accidentally runs him over. Now Marge has to nurse him on top of everything else and they realize they need to visit a marriage counsellor. Homer realizes he must do unselfish deeds for his wife to save their marriage. Guest stars Jane Kaczmarek as Judge Harm.

This started with an unfunny scene in a sea life center, then Homer bought some unfunny gadgets for his car, crashed it and had to walk. Marge subconciously hates him. He makes it up to her with a romantic gesture. (AGAIN). Jokes were few and far between. It may well have been the worst simpsons ever, were it not for all those ones where Lisa is the central character.

The Bart of War
After his latest bout of mischief results in another encounter with the Springfield police department, Marge and Homer elect to place Bart into a program of supervised afternoon activities -- in the form of a quasi- Native American tribe dubbed "The Pre-Teen Braves." But tribal war ensues when his clan is forced into a game of community service one-upsmanship with an opposing group of do-gooders: "The Calvary Kids."

The mischief revolved around some very thin jokes made while destroying Ned Flanders' Beatles memorabilia collection (never before mentioned). There were two classic moments when Nelson hallucinated that a tree was his long-lost father, but the rivalry between the gangs was uninspired (and the repetitive accidental killing of wild animals by Milhouse's dad was just tedious.) It ended with everyone singing the Canadian national anthem in a thinly veiled attack on Americas pro-war attitude (out of place in this programme.)

The point I'm making is that while I love the Simpsons, the writers are running out of ideas, and it is not heresy to say it's not as good as it used to be, and hasn't been for some time. I hope the DVD sales of Futurama and Family Guy persuade some tv exec somewhere that more should be made, as they both ended on a high.

Perhaps the problem with this whole discussion is that any of the 4 shows, at their best, is equally as good as the others. Now which idiot started this thread?

Last edited by 1-X; 8 Oct 2003 at 03:53. Reason: typo correction
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 05:52   #13
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Nofutcha will become famous soon enoughNofutcha will become famous soon enough

I think the simpsons is widely regarded as the best because it came first and we all grew up with it. The others came later and while they are still equally funny in their own ways, we aren't as fond of them as we are with our old friend the Simpsons.

It all depends what i saw recently. I was watching Duckman this afternoon and at the time it seemed funnier than the four mentioned here.

#phnx
Nofutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 08:22   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The Simpsons wins by virtue of brute force. The sheer quantity of top moments puts it top. The more recent episodes are dire though - they are bizarrely trying to emulate the more surreal shows like Southpark/Futurama/Family Guy and the episodes really suffer.

Futurama had great potential, but I don't think it ever lived up to it. Aside from Bender (and to an extent Fry) the characters are weak (there's no real reason for Amy/Hermes at all, and little reason for Zoidberg). Some of the ongoing jokes in Futurama are good though (the Hypno-toad, the alien newscaster) but no episode I've seen even vaguely matches 'You Only Move Twice' or 'Last Exit from Springfield'.

Family Guy in a lot of respects is simply a Simpsons rip-off (Peter=Homer, Quagmire=Moe, Joe Swanson=disabled angry Flanders) but it's still brilliant. It's the original concept of the Simpsons taken to it's logical extreme, and they have a lot of material which is too "edgy" for the Simpsons. (e.g. the one where Peter learns he's black, the bit where Quagmire finds the cheerleader, or where Brian becomes an adult movie director, etc). Plus it has Stewie who rocks.

Duckman is probably the most underrated of all them (I know it wasn't mentioned originally, but it's just been brought up). Some of the individual episodes match the best of the others (e.g. Noir Gang, ****tails for Four) and some of the characters are brilliant (Duckman himself, Cornfed, King Chicken). But overrall it doesn't have the consistency (much of the fourth season is sub-par) and was cut short before it really got going.

I never really rated Southpark, but maybe it's as Mark said; I just gave up after seeing the early ones.

As for great animated series though, all go watch Sealab 2021.

1. The Simpsons
2. Family Guy
3. Futrama
4. Duckman
5. Southpark
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 08:22   #15
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Family Guy > Futurama > Simpsons > South Park

I want to kill the person who cancelled the first two.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 09:59   #16
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

MrL and Proteus are correct, and win the prize.
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 10:05   #17
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

South Park
Futurama
Simpsons
Family Guy
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 10:13   #18
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embroglio
South Park
Futurama
Simpsons
Family Guy
Poor.
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 10:58   #19
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the simpsons... people have mentioned "you only move twice" a lot in this thread. Im ASSUMING that thats the one with scorpio in it when they move to cyprus creek. That has always been my favourite simpsons episode and in the top 3 sitcom episodes of all time for me easily. Overall, the simpsons have made a huge amount of absolutely fantastic episodes, i still remember the days when 6:00 on a sunday was the time the whole family came together from whatever else they were doing and watched the simpsons double on sky one... must have been about 8-9 years ago by now... jeez. I'm never ever going to forget all the quality time i have had thanks to the simpsons.

Family guy... it is actually very funny and has a stupid amount of belly laughs per episode (about 1, which is a helluva lot more than i get from anything new these days) and a lot of little "titters" which is always good. I must admit to not having seen the more recent episodes though. Much to my shame, due to the much reduced amount of television i have been watching in the last year or so

Futurama... it did have its moments, but really, it also bored me stupid at some points. Its probably the only one i would actually turn off in the middle of an episode. For some reason my 9 year old brother loves it over all others though, crazy little thing. I just dont find it that funny. Sorry everyone.

South Park... ooooh... well, the problem with this is, it is highly dependent on what kind of mood im in when i watch it. I have watched some episodes and laughed my head off and others where i have just erm... not. It confuses me as well, but overall i think its still a very funny series but possibly a little too dependent on my mood. Also the film is fantastic, so it gets extra points for that.

overall

Simpsons > Family Guy > South Park > Futurama

of course thats just my opinion
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 11:35   #20
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd put the Simpsons top. It's the rarest beast among satires - motivated by sympathy for its targets, its observations on human nature cut deeper than any other show (not just the four listed here).

i haven't seen enough family guy or south park to comment properly. But, what I have seen has frequently been hilarious. Unfortunately they mostly lack the range and/or finesse of Groening et al - causing the humour to grate at times.

so, simpsons>futurama>family guy>south park
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 11:38   #21
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you damn geeks and your futurama...

bah...

Unread 8 Oct 2003, 12:40   #22
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

Never saw family guy,

But
Simpsons > Futurama > South park
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 13:12   #23
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Futurama > Simpsons > Southpark > Family Guy

I know my choice for second place makes no sense, but well as undoubtly classic as Simpsons is having seen every episode at least 10-20 times each is starting to make it look a bit dated.

Futurama.. full admission here to being a geek, ergo it appeals to me greatly. It's fresh and has the pedigree of Matt Groening behind it so quality is assured. Perhaps I just have the right level of geekyness to fully appreciate the humour in every episode. "Tennage Mutant Leela Hurdles" in my books is up there with the classics.

Southpark.. First couple of seasons cracked me up, now though I'm starting to get bored with it. Part of this may be due to some scheduling ****ups that made me miss some important character developments. I keep hearing things about 'Timmeh!' and 'Sexual Harassment Pander' but I've got no clue what people are talking about, also I missed the apparent permenant death of Kenny!?

Family Guy.. I'm sorry but I just don't get this one. Maybe once again I've missed something but White-Collar Slob type humour just doesn't appeal to me.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 13:24   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Sexual Harrasment Panda is a panda that talks about sexual harrasment.
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 13:26   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
(there's no real reason for Amy/Hermes at all, and little reason for Zoidberg)
That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard you imbecile!

[splat]

WOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOP!
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 13:26   #26
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Family Guy.. I'm sorry but I just don't get this one. Maybe once again I've missed something but White-Collar Slob type humour just doesn't appeal to me.
You have missed something.
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 13:29   #27
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
WOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOP!
indeed

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 13:32   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I can do a great woopwoopwoop.

And a superb Futurama Richard Nixon.
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 13:41   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

It's spelt 'Mars' dear.

ps

And now, america's most popular series...

Everyone Loves Hypnotoad!

[vvjjjjjjooowwwww]
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 14:03   #30
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

my girlfriend doesn't like The Simpsons...

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 15:02   #31
H1TMANish
BlueTuba

H1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant future

simpsons > *
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 16:31   #32
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Family guy
The Simpsons

I don't really like South Park or Futurama

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 16:40   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Am I missing something here? Surely Peter is blue collar? I know he wears a white shirt, but he's a factory worker and later a fisherman. They sound like pretty blue collar jobs to me.

In fact, the chain of comedies that these shows follow are all relatively non-office worker type :

Married With Children (Al, Shoe Salesman) -> Roseanne (Dan, Mechanic) -> The Simpsons (Homer, Nuclear Technician) -> Family Guy (Peter, factory worker).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 16:42   #34
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Simpsons
Family Guy
South Park
Futurama
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 17:11   #35
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

1. Simpsons
2. Family Guy
3. Futurama
470. South Park

As mentioned many times before, 'You Only Move Twice' is genius.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 17:40   #36
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Family guy wins for the small child alone.
Fin.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 17:46   #37
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

simsons season 14 > *
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 17:59   #38
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Family Guy - Every episode i see seems to mock a film (in some way or other) to get its jokes

Futurama - Basically the Simpsons but with different characters (Fry = a young Homer)

Simpsons - When you've seen every episode so many times it starts to fade

South Park - Seems fresh/original in ideas and concept etc in comparison to the other 3

I refuse to follow your Draconian laws and rate them in order of preference.
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 18:32   #39
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Futurama wins for a number of brilliant ongoing jokes. Hypnotoad, the alien newcaster (PUNY EARTHLINGS) and any episode with the huge aliens in it (the ally mcbeal rip-off one, REMOVE THE HUMAN'S LOWER HORN etc). Simpsons pushes it close but it really does have that extra "what the ****" quality which makes it better.

Futurama, Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park.
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 20:13   #40
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

Look at it this way, if you hadn't seen any of them and watched them all for the first time, Simpsons would win hands down. It still does for me. It appeals to nearly every different type of person so well. There are a lot of incredibly subtle jokes that you can watch episodes dozens of times and still not notice them. I'll leave on this note:

The goggles do nothing!!
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 20:14   #41
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Marge's voice annoys me.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 20:14   #42
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

Also

(Sideshow Bob's Mayoral Compaign Commercial)
Voice: Mayor Quimby supports revolving door prisons. Mayor Quimby even released Sideshow Bob. A man twice convicted of attempted murder. Can you trust a man like mayor Quimby?

Vote Sideshow Bob for Mayor.

http://www.nohomers.net/SBA/sounds_2F02_N_10.wav
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 22:08   #43
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

anyone who's seen the appropriate "diamonds" bit on the appropriate family guy will appreciate how great the whole thing is/was

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2003, 23:11   #44
Archi
Mack Daddy

Archi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm all those are good. The Simpsons do have some classic lines in it, and was the standard to which they were all set (I remember watching them on the Tracy Uhlman show before they had a show of their own.
Monty Burns: Schindler and I have a lot in common we both made ammunition for the Nazis, only mine worked dammit!

A character that everyone has forgotten about on Futurama is Zap Brannigan, he is obviously a spoof of Capt. Kirk, the shame about it is I am sure that they had the late Phil Hartmann's (Lionel Hutz, Troy McClure) voice in mind when they made him.

No one has mentioned Butters on South Park and his alter ego Professor Chaos flooding the world with a garden hose. Or the Super-Best friends using a giant John Wilkes Booth to stop a giant Abraham Lincoln from destroying Washington.

Family Guy is one I just started to appreciate lately, it even has Adam West as mayor :-)

Duckman I used to love with his boorish behavior, but the last season just did a nose dive, it is like they castrated him and turned him PC. Totally disgusting :-(

Sealab 2010 is pretty funny though, and I believe underated, it is along the vein of Harvey Birdman attorney at law. Having Harvey represent Race Bannon in a gay child custody battle with Benton Quest over who would have visitation rights over Hadji and Johnny Quest made me fall out of my chair. :-D
Unread 9 Oct 2003, 06:53   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom
anyone who's seen the appropriate "diamonds" bit on the appropriate family guy will appreciate how great the whole thing is/was
Diamonds
She'll pretty much have to
Unread 9 Oct 2003, 15:29   #46
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Am I missing something here? Surely Peter is blue collar? I know he wears a white shirt, but he's a factory worker and later a fisherman. They sound like pretty blue collar jobs to me.

In fact, the chain of comedies that these shows follow are all relatively non-office worker type :

Married With Children (Al, Shoe Salesman) -> Roseanne (Dan, Mechanic) -> The Simpsons (Homer, Nuclear Technician) -> Family Guy (Peter, factory worker).

Actually you're absolutely right, I always get the two confused.. but yes I did mean blue-collar.

Basically I prefer slightly more intelligent humour instead of going for cheap laughs like that. Mind you, I did enjoy Married With Children as I consider it in a slightly different class of humour (yes it was still blue-collar slob but it knew at least where to draw the line between funny and just plane stupid).

=[DJ Bass]=