User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Sep 2006, 09:30   #1
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

SpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really nice
Ship names

I wasn't sure to post this in here, or in the suggestions forum, so feel free to move it.

Right, the title is pretty clear I think, and I suppose it is a good place to post ideas about ship names? I had a look around and couldn't find anything like this.

Anyway, having a look at the ship stats and names, even if this is still not a definite choice for round 19, I think that the zik thief & cutter should be exchanged. The thief doesn't steal, and the cutter last round was a frigate.

Also, some of the xan ship names don't seem very in line with the idea of ghosts & stuff that it used to be. The bomber & the peacekeeper look a bit wrong to me. Maybe it would be good to find again those names like Illusion, Ghost, or others (Spook? )

The terrans too could use names like Fern, Centaur, Basilik, Hydra...

I hope people will use this thread to give more feedback, and maybe lead to some better ship names.
Unread 23 Sep 2006, 09:48   #2
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Ship names

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyVince
Also, some of the xan ship names don't seem very in line with the idea of ghosts & stuff that it used to be. The bomber & the peacekeeper look a bit wrong to me. Maybe it would be good to find again those names like Illusion, Ghost, or others (Spook? )
Illusion/revenant etc were only ever used in my stats (r17), and illusion/mirage/ghoul/vampyre were unpopular amongst some. Later ship designers decided to

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyVince
The terrans too could use names like Fern, Centaur, Basilik, Hydra...
We used to have a Centaur, and I think at one point the basilisk might have been a cath ship? (can't remember if it was used or if it was just in someone's test stats)

We've had the occasional change that has been taken up though: Barghest for terran, phantom and wraith are back for xands, recluse for caths. And there's the names that get rejected (mandrake was a terran ship in r17) So there's the occasional change that's happening.

Personally I would like to see a return to the 'ghosty' names for xand, and I'd like to see the Syren replaced, since it's really just a singing woman, which is not bigger than a pegasus or a chimera. Hydra or Kraken are the ones I'd like to see replace it.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2006, 10:24   #3
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Gate, stay away from threads about ship names fs
Unread 23 Sep 2006, 10:30   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Hydra was very definately a Terran ship name originally - in the R6/7/8 ish era, and perhaps later. I remember because in R6, i was a Cath with massive amounts of BW which were Frigates, and some Tarantulas for their random fire (heh). anyway, 15k Hydra - frigate pwning Terran cruisers - landed on my planet and over three ticks killed most of my BW about a week before the end of the round and fully raped my fleet. So i was going to finish with a pretty good rank, but alas didnt end up doing very well.

The pwnage was so bad i still remember it vividly .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2006, 11:48   #5
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

nothing will ever beat the ship name perriwinkle for the ziks
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2006, 11:51   #6
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
Gate, stay away from threads about ship names fs
You have me to thank for the cath struct killer being called 'firefly' last round tbfh.

And we all know firefly's awesome, right?
Unread 23 Sep 2006, 11:54   #7
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Hydra was very definately a Terran ship name originally - in the R6/7/8 ish era, and perhaps later.
The names also used to make a bit more sense.

Hydra, for example, being a thing with many heads was well equipped to deal with various smaller ships (FR/CO wasn't it?), the dragon being a big bitey beasty was equipped to deal with similar sized ships, whilst the chimera, having 3 different heads had T3:all, and so on.
Unread 23 Sep 2006, 12:14   #8
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Hydra was very definately a Terran ship name originally - in the R6/7/8 ish era, and perhaps later.
The Round 6 Hydra was an absolute hilarious monster against Frigates, and it was toned down significantly in subsequent rounds, with changes as large as removing some of it's guns in addition to their power

I also have memories of Hydras slaughtering Black Widows, although I was on the favourable side when during one of the first World Cup qualifiers, my ~2500 Hydras managed to fleet catch a 30k Black Widow fleet, and chewed through about 27k of them in a single tick. It was pretty glorious

The Syren also used to be a highly undervalued ship. It was a Cruiser with ETA 5 which made it completely unusable for attacking or out-of-galaxy defending, but at the same time it was by far the most cost-effective Terran ship in terms of killing Destroyers and Frigates, and was also pretty good against Corvettes. Having a large amount of them around generally made you an awesomely unattractive target.