User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 10:42   #1
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about
No Score for planets in Vacation Mode

I think it would be good if when a planet went into vacation mode, it's score wasn't counted (for either itself, allie, or gal) until it came out of vacation mode. So if a planet was to hide in vacation mode because it was afraid to loose roids, I don't see why this planet's score should be counted towards their alliance until they come out again. It would also stop planets doing it at the end of the round to save their ships/roids, as if they did, their end rank would be void and they would lower the score of their allie. It would mean that no-one would do it at the end of a round.

So what i'm suggesting is the tick a planet goes into vacation mode, it's score temperarily goes down to '0', until the tick it comes out again where its score goes back to normal. It would mean that if somone genuinely had a holiday, it wouldn't matter at all, because as soon as they come back everything is back to normal. It would also mean that when an allie goes on mass vacation mode, it's score drops temperarily (so everyone can see what they're doing, and that they're harmless and such). I think this would be better because an alliances score should represent the score of the alliance that's available and playing, not planets that are hiding away to protect their roids. And if an alliance makes lots of players go into vacation mode tactically, they don't deserve to keep the score of those planets while that happends.

As I think that the score alliances have on the alliance rankings should represent their strenght, and so the more score, the stronger they are. If some planets are in vacation mode, then the allie doesn't have the strenght from those planets, so I don't think they should be counted until they come out again. (Although it's true that alliance rankings don't actually represent strenght/amount of ships/value as value and score are different things, but still..)

Although I guess this could have a downside in that alliances could purposely hide their strenght so they don't get hit, but in a way this would be the same as having players outside the allie tag, if anything it would be less effective as they could'nt join in attacks and late defences like planets not on the allie tag could. And if anything this would bring another element into the game....

Anyway, i'm interested in what other people might think.
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 10:46   #2
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: No Score for planets in Vacation Mode

This kind of hiding could be abused by alliances, hiding their big planets in vacation mode and suddenly be #1 at the end of the round.
Galaxies with planets in vacation mode would suffer even more incomming than they do now.
If I'm not mistaken vacation mode is disabled the last few days of each round.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 10:52   #3
god113
Ex-Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
This kind of hiding could be abused by alliances, hiding their big planets in vacation mode and suddenly be #1 at the end of the round.
Galaxies with planets in vacation mode would suffer even more incomming than they do now.
If I'm not mistaken vacation mode is disabled the last few days of each round.
True. Although if big planets are in their for too long their score would drop way down. But I guess that it could lead to the last week or so with several big allies all hiding in vacation mode so the winner couldn't be predicted.

And in responce to what you said about gals suffering more. It wouldn't actually make any difference, as seeing a planet in {} brackets and with '0' score would just mean the same thing. I guess that if people were searching for small score galaxies on pilkara or something it would make a difference, but i'm not convinced it would make much of a difference.
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 11:12   #4
FernandeZ
The good old times

FernandeZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a good idea. i like it.
R11.5 || VsN - MO
R12 || VsN - MO / 1up

/me hugs Myzztica, you sexy little thing!
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 11:42   #5
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Its a terrible idea, and u know it!
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 11:42   #6
god113
Ex-Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
Its a terrible idea, and u know it!
haha.. Please expand
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 13:40   #7
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

doing that would drop gal average score wouldn't it

now what could we do, if we could suddenly play with the average gal score....

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 21:57   #8
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the idea, but yes there is a lot of abuse ppl can use it for.
Maybe just affecting alliance score would be fair to do, but would still hold the score in universe.
Just think if goes in vacation should not be part of the alliance as such till the get back out vacation because they aint doing nothin for it other than adding score.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 11:22   #9
god113
Ex-Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy
doing that would drop gal average score wouldn't it

now what could we do, if we could suddenly play with the average gal score....
i'm not sure to be honest. Apart from stats on things like sandmans and pilkara, does it make any difference?
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 11:55   #10
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by god113
i'm not sure to be honest. Apart from stats on things like sandmans and pilkara, does it make any difference?
might make you look like a good target

i really don;t see the point in this idea tbh, we tend to rmeove people from vacation mode at the end of the round anyway, so what does this get us extra?

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 12:02   #11
god113
Ex-Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
might make you look like a good target

i really don;t see the point in this idea tbh, we tend to rmeove people from vacation mode at the end of the round anyway, so what does this get us extra?
I was more thinking for midround time (if/when) lots of planets from one allie go into vacation mode, and so it should affect the allies score. It isn't really a big thing, more just me being a bit pedantic even. Simply because vacation mode is used 50/50 maybe for people on holiday and for people hiding in there, so I was trying to think of a way that it could be less effective. And so if you going into vacatoin mode makes your allies score drop, it makes it less attractive to just do to hide.
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 12:33   #12
Forest

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: [Discuss] No Score for planets in Vacation Mode

Or it makes it attractive.

LCH for instance put 10 plaets into vac mode, lose the score, wup look as if they ahve won, and everyone bashes 1up. Then they come out and win.

Great idea.
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 17:18   #13
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: [Discuss] No Score for planets in Vacation Mode

Quote:
LCH for instance put 10 plaets into vac mode, lose the score, wup look as if they ahve won, and everyone bashes 1up. Then they come out and win.
Couldn't they accomplish the same thing now by removing the vacationing planets from the alliance and then re-adding them when they come out of vacation mode?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 17:56   #14
Forest

Yes they could, but thats a lot more hard work, and lot less obvious, than certain ppl going into vac mode.

ATM the system in place is working, and isnt broken, so why try and fix it?
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 17:56   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Couldn't they accomplish the same thing now by removing the vacationing planets from the alliance and then re-adding them when they come out of vacation mode?
don't give them ideas!

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 18 Dec 2004, 10:00   #16
Vencedor

Vencedor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Ok, at first glance I liked this idea
But, thinking about it, it'll be abused like Forest ssaid ...
Quote:
Or it makes it attractive.

Great idea.
Altho there are ways of doing the same kind of thing this round, it would prolly be much more abused.

2: Kane of Earth II 3: Caution of The Death Drop!
4: Gencore of Tyrian 5: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian^
6: Gencore of ^Tyrian II^ 7: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian II^
8: Caution of the Death Drop - From round 3 9b: SEE R3
9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
10: Yalvon of Hunderi 11: Kithal of Jadoor
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 11:41   #17
god113
Ex-Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vencedor
Ok, at first glance I liked this idea
But, thinking about it, it'll be abused like Forest ssaid ...
Altho there are ways of doing the same kind of thing this round, it would prolly be much more abused.
Well precisely, anything like that can be done already. I guess there is a small chance that it would encourage the use of such a tactic, but it would be extremely obvoius anyway. All it would take is for a few people to point it out on AD and everyone knows. And so they go to attack the allie with their big planets in vacation mode.

Quote:
ATM the system in place is working, and isnt broken, so why try and fix it?
To be honest I don't think it is working, as vacation mode is sooo often abused. And we both know it
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 12:47   #18
Forest

Its abused by pl going in to hide form incoming yes.

But, those planets will be brought out befpre end of round.

This proposal will do nothing to stop ppl hiding fomr incoming, it will infact make the idea of hiding more attaractive, as it will also give there alilance a smaller profile, and therefor less incoming.
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 14:56   #19
Pinkerton
doo doo dah

Pinkerton can only hope to improve

no score for planets in exile either...I searched a few planets that where in an alliance I knew of and they where in exile with fat scores....they are likey out of exile by now...but the alliances can exile thier big planets and have the same benefit as being on vacation

The last couple of days you should open up the exile planets also.
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 13:33   #20
Kal
Inactive peon

I think this is a bad diea and largely not very useful - declined

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Closed Thread