User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Aug 2004, 16:17   #1
Esralith

Esralith is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this fair?

Just a quick question, if you think this is fair:
http://www.home.no/pain/dasboot.JPG

I am currently unpaid, without the ability to pay..

Last edited by Esralith; 6 Aug 2004 at 16:18. Reason: Tried to fix the image..
Esralith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 16:45   #2
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Is this fair?

yes and no.

Its basicly a result of unpaid accounts inability to play the game to the fullest, such as a paid planet would.

However, its also the players responsibility to introduce new players to the game so they might be willing to stick around.

so basicly, tell your GC that Idler does not approve of his idiocy.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 16:46   #3
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

This game is not about fairness. If you don't have a paid account then you are of no use to them. It's hard but it is true.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 17:27   #4
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

i have been inactive this round and going mainly random, useless to say that i have been exiled more than 9 times from medium galaxies, this game is about activity and a part of it is the strongest and the more active is the one who will be alive, sad but true and this is reflecting exactly how a war game should be run, i dont take it personally, i just understand them but on other hands, they could also give you a hand and help you or maybe pay for your account and make you an apprentice.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 17:57   #5
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

i tell new people in my gal they have to 'report' in atleast aswell.... i don't need inactive scan/multi accounts in my gal... if it's a regular player he doesn't need to be superactive.. but i DO expect people to show up every now and then.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 18:02   #6
Esralith

Esralith is an unknown quantity at this point

I have gotten someone to pay. Ive also joined an alliance. So all is greatsss!!! :gollum:

Last edited by Esralith; 7 Aug 2004 at 00:25. Reason: Update!
Esralith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 14:25   #7
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esralith
I have gotten someone to pay. Ive also joined an alliance. So all is greatsss!!! :gollum:
Awsome! now if we can get 10k more like you, we will be set
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 17:24   #8
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Ferretus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
This game is not about fairness. If you don't have a paid account then you are of no use to them. It's hard but it is true.
What a crap comment! This is a game (as you said) and by being a game, it should be enjoyed by all regardless. It is not about winning as there are upteen ?000's of ppl who aren't going to win, its about enjoying your time while you are here. That gal needs a good kick up the arse, the most important thing is activity. If that means you need to stick your head in IRC every now and then then fair enough, but not everyone can do that. To demand that you pay or be kicked is going too far.

Its ppl like that who really piss me off in this game! Grrrr (/me scurries off soapbox).

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Ferretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 17:27   #9
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

some people enjoy doing well. it's easier to do well with decent gal mates. if you're a free account you can't be decent. end of story.

were i playing i'd do exactly the same thing

-mist
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 17:28   #10
Gerbie
pe0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretus
What a crap comment! This is a game (as you said) and by being a game, it should be enjoyed by all regardless. It is not about winning as there are upteen ?000's of ppl who aren't going to win, its about enjoying your time while you are here. That gal needs a good kick up the arse, the most important thing is activity. If that means you need to stick your head in IRC every now and then then fair enough, but not everyone can do that. To demand that you pay or be kicked is going too far.

Its ppl like that who really piss me off in this game! Grrrr (/me scurries off soapbox).
I didn't say I liked it, it's just how this game works.

The owners need to maximize their income. To do that they need to minimize the amount of free accounts (cost, but no income) and maximize the amount of paid planets. Free accounts only exist for free account players to get the feel of the game and once they know how it works their challenge is gone: they need to either upgrade, or live with the fact that this game is designed to be crap for free planets.
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 23:13   #11
Hurragutten

Hurragutten is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as free planets cant see the other planets incomming they are of very little use for the gal
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 23:34   #12
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretus
Assuming you've paid for your account and in a decent alliance. You'd also want an active gal with no limitations on growth that are incurred on a free account. If i was playing this round (gave up after r10 because i didn't like all the changes etc), then i'd want an active gal like everyone wants, and to be fair a non-paid account is a pretty useless account for the galaxy concerned. For starters he can't see incoming on other planets, what use is he? A lot of unpaid accounts don't use irc, just go and look at the recruitment forum for proof of that!
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2004, 03:03   #13
Precursors

Precursors is an unknown quantity at this point

so if this is doable and fair, what is the point in putting free accounts in same gals with paid accounts?
so the behaviour of people playing the game is contradicting with PA team's game setup
Precursors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2004, 05:08   #14
Gerbie
pe0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precursors
so if this is doable and fair, what is the point in putting free accounts in same gals with paid accounts?
so the behaviour of people playing the game is contradicting with PA team's game setup
There are several reasons.
1. Being with unpaid planets is not only less fun for the paid accounts. It is also less fun for free accounts. If you want them to pay for something, you must show them it is something worth paying for. To get people to upgrade, people need to see what it is like for upgraded planets. They should want the same possibilities as other planets in their galaxy.
2. To put these people with people who did upgrade, these people will try to convince them to upgrade as well or even pay for them.
Unread 8 Aug 2004, 10:13   #15
XCan

XCan is an unknown quantity at this point

Any game that don't have a constant stream of newbies will die. Now only a constant stream is not enough, you need to keep them. By acting as the one the top poster showed you certainly is not keeping this small stream of newbie that you do have. The way Jolt's acting they might as well make everything p2p, what's the fun in being massacred by the paid planets and not stand much of a chance? Well certainly won't make the free ones pay.
XCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2004, 10:28   #16
Gerbie
pe0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCan
Any game that don't have a constant stream of newbies will die. Now only a constant stream is not enough, you need to keep them. By acting as the one the top poster showed you certainly is not keeping this small stream of newbie that you do have. The way Jolt's acting they might as well make everything p2p, what's the fun in being massacred by the paid planets and not stand much of a chance? Well certainly won't make the free ones pay.
I disagree on that it will not make the free ones pay. Some leave, others pay and others just get killed all the time. If they leave then that reduces server load (cost), if they pay, Jolt's income is increased and if they get killed at least we get more roids in the universe for the paid planets.
Unread 8 Aug 2004, 16:22   #17
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

This thing goes both ways. You have to be of some use to the gal you end up in. If you have a freebie account you are of no use to a gal that try to reach for top spots.

This round I have accepted anyone who is active and can be arsed to find themselves an alliance, and for most ppl in top gals it isnt really a problem to come up with an extra credit if that is needed.

PS I booted you for inactivity alch
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 05:58   #18
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

Well, i believe a "middle-therm" it would be the better option, i believe gals could keep 2 unpaid accs and give them the chance to stay there, talkin to them, teaching them, showing them IRC-use, and keeping them if they show interest in play actively even in an unpaid until the rnd end. I belive the experience would motivate them to try the paid game and get into an alliance.
I started this rnd as unpaid, just to see what changen in PA, and my gal mates were very helpful, giving me tips about the new game, what motivated me to search for an ally to accept me and pay my acc :P
I liked the game, feels like new stuff and ill keep playin for some rnds.
If wasnt for my gal m8s attitude, possiblily i would have left my acc after the unpaid
limit.
Remember that who lose when i dont give any chance to a newbie is the community, far more than your galaxy. We have a community extremely anti-noobs, and people seems not to know if part of the blame its of the community, who wants the game not ending but dont want to stimulate new players. (ofc there is some people who try).

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 18:48   #19
AzureWrath
Evil has returned

AzureWrath is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurragutten
As long as free planets cant see the other planets incomming they are of very little use for the gal
i wanted to say that harsh, but true. As someone said earlier, free planets are designed for new players to get a feel of the game, after a certain time however, you need to upgrade or expect not to stick around long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher
LCH is too far away, now they are the same roid amout as 1up
AzureWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 18:54   #20
Phant
Meep meep vs. 3.89

Phant is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel sorry for ya Intruder, Im afraid I've helped messing up your life
From now on I'll go back to flaming the noobs who join the gal. After all we're just doing them a favour in not getting them addicted to the game

But yes, if everyone had that attitude shown bu the first poster there wouldnt be many new people joining the game. Most often when we get a new person in the gal I mail him/her ingame with a welcome, tell him/her to visit the forum and that we have a channel on irc and how to get there. Ok, so we only got 1 person to come on irc regurarly in our gal cause of it, but it adds up to be a nice amount if it happens in more gals. Myself I aint aiming for a top spot, just to have fun. And the more active players the more fun for me (yes Im selfish )

So yes, what he does might be good for his gal but not for the game. Thats his choice, not mine though.
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 20:07   #21
Precursors

Precursors is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
There are several reasons.
1. Being with unpaid planets is not only less fun for the paid accounts. It is also less fun for free accounts. If you want them to pay for something, you must show them it is something worth paying for. To get people to upgrade, people need to see what it is like for upgraded planets. They should want the same possibilities as other planets in their galaxy.
2. To put these people with people who did upgrade, these people will try to convince them to upgrade as well or even pay for them.
1. so the way to make free accounts want to upgrade is by threatening to kick them from the galaxy? (cos this is what's going on)

2. or the way to convince free accounts to upgrade is by threatening to kick them from the galaxy?

I don't see how a free account player can be convinced to upgrade when he is threatened to get kicked out if he doesn't upgrade. Or is that how it was intended to be?
Precursors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 20:07   #22
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phant
I feel sorry for ya Intruder, Im afraid I've helped messing up your life
From now on I'll go back to flaming the noobs who join the gal. After all we're just doing them a favour in not getting them addicted to the game

But yes, if everyone had that attitude shown bu the first poster there wouldnt be many new people joining the game. Most often when we get a new person in the gal I mail him/her ingame with a welcome, tell him/her to visit the forum and that we have a channel on irc and how to get there. Ok, so we only got 1 person to come on irc regurarly in our gal cause of it, but it adds up to be a nice amount if it happens in more gals. Myself I aint aiming for a top spot, just to have fun. And the more active players the more fun for me (yes Im selfish )

So yes, what he does might be good for his gal but not for the game. Thats his choice, not mine though.
Well i am aiming top gal spot, but if we have some noobs in gal who can't roid enough for keepin me up to the ranks, no problem, ill roid for them all

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2004, 17:56   #23
aceshot
PA Support - Grafknd

aceshot is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont see it as fair, but da hard hitting truth

As said above, the person that made that gal overview message obviously thinks they can win

#afk (home of the afkness)
#pa - community channel
aceshot is offline   Reply With Quote