User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Sep 2003, 09:55   #1
Nicole

Nicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really nice
Successful Parties

After having gone to the same university for four years I have finally attended a successful party. By successful I mean good-sized (this one had around 50 people total, but not all at the same time), most guests had a good time, and there weren't periods of boredom, or random people looking around all bored. This party was exceptional in that there wasn't a single argument, and there was a lot of mingling considering the varieties of cliques. I'm not big on house parties and I usually have to be very drunk to enjoy myself. However on this occassion I was only slightly drunk and had the best time I've ever had a house party.

Anyways the point of this is that I'm trying to figure out the elements that made this party so good. What are necessary attributes for a successful party for you? Keep in mind that I mean a loud alcohol-serving party, not a ****tail party or gathering. The hosts of this party had novelty things to make their party stand-out (jungle-juice instead of a keg, sign-in poster, mock-security) but these things can get old so there should be a constant set of attributes that make a party successful.

I'm rambling, but I'm honestly interested in what you all think makes for a good party. Thank you and have a nice day.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 09:57   #2
hilltop hoods

you were so drunk you thought you were sober
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 10:01   #3
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
you need the ppl to get on, a single argument can ruin even the best party.
you need a variety of drink, ppl like variation
you need to make it stand out, wether this is through party games or novelty items, it doesnt matter, so long as your party is remembered as 'the one where we played drunk twister/had a water fight/went halloweening with a real sythe (we were 22 years old when we did that one)
theres lots more, i might try and add them as i think of them
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 10:02   #4
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
those parties are so passe, get a decent club fs, you are not a ****ing teen.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 10:05   #5
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Knight Theamion
might be

thats a rather sweeping statement

there is chance for instance that i am only 17 !?!?!?!?
madi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 10:15   #6
Nicole

Nicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really nice
Quote:
You clearly have never been a female in a bar.

Moreover you have never been a lesbian with a group of gay people minding your own business in a bar in a rural, red-neck college town when a patron of said bar does one of the following:

a) congratulate you for kissing your girlfriend
b) tells you were disgusting for kissing your girlfriend
c) whips out his penis as an offering

Despite the people I normally prefer going out to the bar as well but this weekend was an exceptional party and I'm not entirely sure how it all came together like that. Also, drinking at the bar gets expensive. This weekend I had unlimited jungle-juice for the price of 3 dollars (I chose not to over-indulge, but it was strong) Easy on the wallet, and no sexual harassment!
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 10:38   #7
slick
Last Of The Soul Reaver

slick is on a distinguished road
1) you have to only know a few ppl.. the rest you shouldn't kno
2) You have to have some fun games, like shot comps and stuf
3) someone has 2 get sooooooo drunk that its funneh
4) a nice walk home

hmmmmm.... thats all i can think of......

You're just jealous coz the voices are talking to me!

Rimmer: Step Up To Red Alet!
Kryten: Are You Sure Sir, It Does Mean Changing The Bulb!

Death to the deamoness Allegra Gellar!
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 11:34   #8
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Clubs are so overatted. At least with a private party you can stock alcohol in bulk meaning cheaper drinks overall, including the ability to mix any drink you want (provided you have the right stuff). Somewhere you can sleep/passout that doesn't require a taxi-ride home. Your own choice of music instead of enduring all the latest top-of-the-pops material. You're mostly with friends and don't have to put up with the usual pub-brawling dickheads that infest public places. All the facilities you need for food, toilet, TV, pool-table that can be used whenever you feel like it.

As to what makes a party successful, there are a few things that work well, but I think from experience the most important is a controlled environment with happy partygoers.

Nothing is worse than trying to break up brawls all night and then cleaning up the mess the following morning (more the reason not to host the party at home).

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 11:46   #9
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
Re: Successful Parties

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicole
After having gone to the same university for four years I have finally attended a successful party. By successful I mean good-sized (this one had around 50 people total, but not all at the same time), most guests had a good time, and there weren't periods of boredom, or random people looking around all bored. This party was exceptional in that there wasn't a single argument, and there was a lot of mingling considering the varieties of cliques. I'm not big on house parties and I usually have to be very drunk to enjoy myself. However on this occassion I was only slightly drunk and had the best time I've ever had a house party.

Anyways the point of this is that I'm trying to figure out the elements that made this party so good. What are necessary attributes for a successful party for you? Keep in mind that I mean a loud alcohol-serving party, not a ****tail party or gathering. The hosts of this party had novelty things to make their party stand-out (jungle-juice instead of a keg, sign-in poster, mock-security) but these things can get old so there should be a constant set of attributes that make a party successful.

I'm rambling, but I'm honestly interested in what you all think makes for a good party. Thank you and have a nice day.
its the people which make a fine part.

ps. when did you exactly thought about 'elements of a good party'? during this party or after it?

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 11:48   #10
hilltop hoods

as the man said. of course, australians are the best at hosting and enjoyiong parties

XXXX Gold, XXXX Bitter forever
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 14:14   #11
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
40 computers and a LAN

lol
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 14:17   #12
treelo
Kyuss/qotsa > Deffeh ffs

treelo is an unknown quantity at this point
MDMA.

....and about 20 hours of music.

Waiting for the Sun.
treelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 14:21   #13
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
- Lots of alcohol.

- 2:1 ratio(n) of women to men (with alot of folks there).

- A couple of people who are 'clean freaks' who cant stand the sight of any mess and who will clean up all the mess afterwards because of their 'afliction'.

That's about it.

A packet of polos can also come in useful but they are not essential*.

*for the 'pass the polo round a circle of people alternating boy girl from mouth to mouth of each person' game
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 14:43   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Comedy 'Not The SDP' post.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 14:57   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
Best thing today.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 15:53   #16
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
Beaten to it

Also shouldn't there be a mountain of Ferrero Roche?
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 15:56   #17
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Cmdr_Cyrax
Beaten to it
Like hell.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote