User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 15 May 2009, 12:53   #1
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
PDS as structure

Ok the word PDS will scare and annoy alot of the old school.

But I have this (which may have been suggested before):-

1) The new PDS is not part of the fleet production!

2) PDS is a structure (Class = ST) and needs to be built like any other construction. This is to try and keep them safe from overkill incoming.

3) PDS fires after ST Killers (so last line of defence).

4) Each PDS structure has a number of guns with which to fire on incoming ships (so it can be included in the main combat tick).

5) You can have 3 types of PDS Light, medium, heavy.

6) Each class fire on its own meta class, Light=Fi/CO etc).

7) You could even get special PDS which EMP/Steal ships (they would prob need to open to all races).

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2009, 13:28   #2
sale
Bavarian Barbarian

sale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of lightsale is a glorious beacon of light
Re: PDS as structure

I see a problem witch balance.
Nobody wuld build PDS if it does damage like ships the same value.
If it would do more damage it would be overpowered at the first few ticks and later on it would be getting weaker and weaker.

With the same value in ships you can either defend (like the pds - on a better init) or even attack.

Later in the round a FC would be much more valuable than a PDS ( assuming PDS is also a construction and so affected by the research and limited to max 150 buildings)

Can you describe the idea?

PDS were removed before i started to play so i dont know the affect they had and how they have been included in the game.
sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2009, 15:35   #3
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

This idea has been suggested before, probably several times before by now, I personally think it is interesting and should be considered, but those who remember PDS's don't generally remember then fondly and so I don't think there is any hope of them coming back.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2009, 15:39   #4
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

So basically people are gonna have to send sk's on every attack to try and avoid any losses?

no thanks
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2009, 16:07   #5
Bubert Samson
Come Closer, I Have Candy

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough

To balance this out wouldnt we need to add SK classes that coincide with pod classes so that everyone had a chance against these PDS?

And then, once everyone had these SKs, you would lose buildings every time you get landed on because it would probably get to the point that no attack fleet is complete without SKs.
Unless of course you want to add ships that only target PDS, making PDS pointless.

A resounding "no" from me.

[ROCK] || Conspiracy Theory || Ascendancy

Rounds Played: 3-9 16-19 23-33

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Bubert Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2009, 16:21   #6
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
Ok the word PDS will scare and annoy alot of the old school.

But I have this (which may have been suggested before):-

1) The new PDS is not part of the fleet production!

2) PDS is a structure (Class = ST) and needs to be built like any other construction. This is to try and keep them safe from overkill incoming.

3) PDS fires after ST Killers (so last line of defence).

4) Each PDS structure has a number of guns with which to fire on incoming ships (so it can be included in the main combat tick).

5) You can have 3 types of PDS Light, medium, heavy.

6) Each class fire on its own meta class, Light=Fi/CO etc).

7) You could even get special PDS which EMP/Steal ships (they would prob need to open to all races).
PDS got took out for a reason, stat wise its either always overpowered or underpowered/useless. Your solution doesnt change that fact.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2009, 16:23   #7
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

[quote=sale;3174212]I see a problem witch balance.
Nobody wuld build PDS if it does damage like ships the same value.
If it would do more damage it would be overpowered at the first few ticks and later on it would be getting weaker and weaker.

With the same value in ships you can either defend (like the pds - on a better init) or even attack.

Later in the round a FC would be much more valuable than a PDS ( assuming PDS is also a construction and so affected by the research and limited to max 150 buildings)

Can you describe the idea?

PDS were removed before i started to play so i dont know the affect they had and how they have been included in the game.[/QUOTE]

Basicly they were stay home defence. That you cannot run or take with you on attacks. The problem with them was (since they wasnt moveable) that they a) left score on base to be killed or b) alliances/gals didnt suport their building, since u cant def others nor attack with them c) since it wasnt moveable unit the stats had to balance it to make it worth something -> which will cause a stay home, no fleet movement scenario and become pretty much untouchable without big losses for enemy, whom ever mass builded them. Obiviously most were focusing on killing enemy fleets, which were able to damage you on your home planet also. Hence there was little to no units targeting pds primary, else they werent worth to even consider to build.

I personally dislike also any units that u cannot move nor run because of the reasons a and b. How ever I have nothing against more weaponary systems.

The PDS could rather be made as some sort of missile launcher system, that u could use to weaken your enemy before landing. Depending on strucure amount versus possible shields you can build to counter them. How ever I believe cov-opers have some system allready to damage others fleet?

There are how ever million possibilities to add weaponary, shields, mine fields to protect you and so on... Lets just find the most attractive ones. I would find it best to support cov-opping as a wider use by allmost everyone and add there enough usefull stuff to make them attracting to use.
Unread 15 May 2009, 16:35   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

PDS is a retarded idea, stop bringing it up.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2009, 17:49   #9
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

The only way i think pds should be brought back would be as home defence against sk's only , it would be a structure but would only fire at sk ships and be fired at by sk's , if it was to come back in any other way then it's a resounding NO
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2009, 18:16   #10
Bubert Samson

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo View Post
The only way i think pds should be brought back would be as home defence against sk's only , it would be a structure but would only fire at sk ships and be fired at by sk's , if it was to come back in any other way then it's a resounding NO
Yeah, but even then since SKs are rarely used unless in times of war, it doesnt seem worth it to spend the res on some construction you might need instead of (for example) a finance centre that will benefit you much more.

- Edgar Allan Poe
Unread 15 May 2009, 20:07   #11
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubert Samson View Post
Yeah, but even then since SKs are rarely used unless in times of war, it doesnt seem worth it to spend the res on some construction you might need instead of (for example) a finance centre that will benefit you much more.
For some reason the PA community has decided that SKs are the equivalent of nuclear bombs. Probably because while destroyed ships can in theory be rebuilt at any time given enough resources structures cannot. I think this perspective is miss guided and SKs should be used a lot more, which would make the suggest form of PDS worthwhile.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2009, 06:41   #12
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

well there I agree with Monroe!
Unread 16 May 2009, 07:40   #13
Bubert Samson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
For some reason the PA community has decided that SKs are the equivalent of nuclear bombs. Probably because while destroyed ships can in theory be rebuilt at any time given enough resources structures cannot. I think this perspective is miss guided and SKs should be used a lot more, which would make the suggest form of PDS worthwhile.
If the problem of losing structures every landing became a prominent one, I would probably agree that there should begin to be something that would counter that beyond normal means, but the fact of the matter is that it is not, so I see no reason we should have this.

- Edgar Allan Poe
Unread 16 May 2009, 08:14   #14
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If you want a few other ideas on this, here's a few threads I picked up on PDS as a structure
[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

Some of these include threads discussing protecting your planet / structures in other ways (e.g. every one built reduces hostile damage against fleets at your planet by 0.25%)
Unread 17 May 2009, 13:56   #15
Vassy
Boozer

Vassy is on a distinguished road

And another thread on pds, same answer will prolly be NO

MrLobster's suggestion doesn't change anything, why build them?
Vassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2009, 18:21   #16
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassy View Post
And another thread on pds, same answer will prolly be NO

MrLobster's suggestion doesn't change anything, why build them?
Building them means you still do damage to incoming fleet, even if you have run your main fleet.

SK only kill a % of structures per tick, so you cant kill all structures in one go.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2009, 21:20   #17
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
Building them means you still do damage to incoming fleet, even if you have run your main fleet.

SK only kill a % of structures per tick, so you cant kill all structures in one go.
A PDS structure would only kill a % of fleet per tick, so you can't kill all fleet in "one go".

Granted, salvage would play some role in this, however I don't see the merit of it given the "get 60 FC's, enough amps to do a FA scan, and misc constructions to make it worthwhile" strategy.

I'm just not convinced. I'm not shooting it down outright, I'm just not convinced.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2009, 21:36   #18
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

I think if something like this was made we'd need some kind of research tree to allow you to build multiple constructions at once.

That would certainly add some crazy new tactical routes to the game.
Unread 17 May 2009, 22:02   #19
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see anything wrong with having multiple researches and constructions at the same time.

Group two(?) of them together to force some choice, but ffs, it's not SimPlanet. Get on with the action.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2009, 09:00   #20
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Threads about PDS make baby Jesus cry...

Personally I don't want to see SK's in every attackfleet or structures that shoot at ships.
Can't really explain why, I just have this feeling it would suck alot.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2009, 15:03   #21
Ave

The Constructions are uterly dull clicking right now, I cba to visit the page after the very first weeks. Hence I wouldnt mind if it added something to the combat and made me visit there possibly.