User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Jun 2005, 17:45   #1
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
CTF speedgames with private galaxies

You know you want to.

Hell, screw speedgames, get another box and run proper tick length CTF games with private galaxies.

Last edited by Banned; 11 Jun 2005 at 17:52.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 18:09   #2
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: CTF speedgames with private galaxies

CTF wouldnt be good with full length ticks. But private gals in CTF speedgames sound cool
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 18:45   #3
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Under the current system I dont think it would be that good. To me with the scoring system as it is theres little incentive to get the flags until closer to the end.

Now with a scoring system where you got points for capturing a flag, for holding the flag for a set period and then for having the flag at the end would imho make it a great deal better.

What I'm thinking is the current scoring system for ending with a flag, a point everytime you steal a flag and a point for every 5 ticks you hold a flag (not counting your own)
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 18:53   #4
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Under the current system I dont think it would be that good.
Then address the system rather than the concept.

Quote:
To me with the scoring system as it is theres little incentive to get the flags until closer to the end.
Fair point.

Quote:
Now with a scoring system where you got points for capturing a flag, for holding the flag for a set period and then for having the flag at the end would imho make it a great deal better.
Probably a good idea.

Quote:
What I'm thinking is the current scoring system for ending with a flag, a point everytime you steal a flag and a point for every 5 ticks you hold a flag (not counting your own)
But none of this addresses how CTF speedgames are a bad idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
CTF wouldnt be good with full length ticks.
Why not?

Quote:
But private gals in CTF speedgames sound cool
The CTF concept does indeed lend nicely to the pace of speedgames.
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 18:59   #5
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

thinking outloud here under the current galaxy system private gals are possible - assuming:
they work like buddy packs but with a higher max size
they are created by a shuffler at tick 36
the shuffler creates the galaxy and deletes all non-private planets
signups are closed after tick 36

a more complex system closer to old style private galaxies would be possible as well (with some galaxies private and some random) but would require signficant code changes/reversions.

I personally would quite like a private gals system as described for a long CTF round - i.e. totally private so it really is the best of the best competing.

The one problem would be if we didn;t have enough people wanting to do it.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 19:07   #6
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
thinking outloud here under the current galaxy system private gals are possible - assuming:
they work like buddy packs but with a higher max size
they are created by a shuffler at tick 36
the shuffler creates the galaxy and deletes all non-private planets
signups are closed after tick 36.
That sounds like a great way to do it. This also allows for randomers banding together and trying to compete.
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 19:12   #7
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned

But none of this addresses how CTF speedgames are a bad idea...
Well if you take a second to actually read what I wrote I didnt say the idea was bad just under the current system it would be. I'm hardly going to start posting "What a fab idea lets do it at once" when theres a flaw in the current setup that weakens the whole premise of the idea. As such I posted what I think needs changed to imho make the idea viable.

The point of the suggestions forum is to help build on peoples ideas and to work out problems not to blindly start raving about an idea just because theres a small part of it we agree with, after all it was people doing that that helped force features like private galaxies through in a half baked implementation that probally did more harm to this game than it did good
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 23:41   #8
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

How fast are we talking about in speed games? Because the ticker really isn't good enough for anything more than about 15 minutes on the 4k planets we have. Assuming, say, 1k planets, we'd still only be able to do 5 minute ticks. Nothing like the 1 min ticks I fondly remember enjoying in the old days. We -could- look to dragging the optimised ticker from R14 development and seeing if that helps though.

But is this thread suggesting we do the upcoming speed game as CTF? Modifications to the scoring and anything else related can be discussed and changed, of course. I'm happy to organise, maintain and run CTF as a speedgame, I think it'd be quite exciting.
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 04:28   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

5 min ticks are fine. i dont know about other people but when a page takes like 15 seconds to load, you could get incoming and not being able to do anything about it till it was ETA 6 due to your 1337 connection .

5 min ticks are ideal, come to think of it.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 12:01   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Hopefully, post speedgame the ticker will work more efficiently as maintance is planned in the near future. For this upcoming speedround some version of CTF looks to be a popular option. Remember the point of this was we did it as much to see if the idea needed refining (and if it did, how) as to enjoy it, which most people seem to have done.
I'm all for private speedgames though, as that's what my origional idea intended (although this could obviously lead to blocking)
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 12:10   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Personally I love the 1-2 minute ticks from private betas. 5 minute ticks would balance connection problems with speed perfectly
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 14:31   #12
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

private gals and CTF

I;m cuming in my pants :/

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 17:34   #13
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

I love CTF, so much better than a normal rd.
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 17:41   #14
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Question Re: CTF speedgames with private galaxies

This CTF game is really fun, for me atleast, and definitely adds variety to the 'normal' PA which may have been getting stale for some people. Works best as a speedgame though IMO, as you often need multiple caps on a single targ to get a flag and the intensity and speed of speedgames should/could allow this.

But, this is just from theory, I've never played a speedgame and don't intend to due to teh fact I Can't bear the idea of sitting at a screen for days straight :|

Last edited by Gate; 12 Jun 2005 at 17:48.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 19:48   #15
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

How big were you thinking of for galaxies? 10 I assume? I wonder if it would be better to have even smaller galaxies...
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 20:11   #16
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

private galaxies for the coming SG would be more trouble than its worth unfortunatly as it would need a fair few code changes.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 23:18   #17
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
How big were you thinking of for galaxies? 10 I assume? I wonder if it would be better to have even smaller galaxies...
I was thinking around 15, with limitations on alliances. So that galaxies would be the actual teams. Obviously there are ways to get around the alliance limitation, but without alliance def you'd have to think up new ways of doing it.
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 23:39   #18
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

CTF speedgames would have to have private galaxies.
Only reason it works in havoc is cos we exiled so many people in the proper round to get active people playing.
Unread 13 Jun 2005, 07:43   #19
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

Quote:
CTF speedgames would have to have private galaxies.
Only reason it works in havoc is cos we exiled so many people in the proper round to get active people playing.
...and that is only the case in like 30 galaxies. In my gal in the round it was very active, though now that we've hit CTF havoc the only other active person exiled. I think this is the case in many galaxies though.
Unread 13 Jun 2005, 08:45   #20
notsure
[TGV] Wots It

notsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to behold

My gal has been very active during CTF - with only a few planets not playing....it's definitely made the whole concept more fun, and if anything has increased the comraderie of our gal which was already great during the main round.

TBH, I found myself mainly doing defence during the main round, both due to the needs of my alliance, and my timezone meant that I had to be up at ungodly hours to claim alliance targets...with the speed of CTF, and it being gal centred, I'm having a lot more fun.

The speed also means I find myself taking more risks - after all lose a few ships - and I can have them rebuilt in a couple of hours (resources permitting ofc), means I'm more likely to attack planets I would have passed on during the round - the whole ctf concept also facilitates this....
Unread 13 Jun 2005, 10:07   #21
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
I was thinking around 15, with limitations on alliances. So that galaxies would be the actual teams. Obviously there are ways to get around the alliance limitation, but without alliance def you'd have to think up new ways of doing it.
You'd have to make clusters very small or nonexistant too, surely? Otherwise you could see cluster alliances springing up for the duration.

And yes, removing bash limit on flag bearers for an actual game of this is good IMO.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2005, 11:39   #22
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
You'd have to make clusters very small or nonexistant too, surely? Otherwise you could see cluster alliances springing up for the duration.
Yeah, because cluster alliances are bad!
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 19:44   #23
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

I think CTF Speedrounds would be good. With Priv gals. Even with Random gals tbh.

But system does need to be changed. So like :

1 Point for every roid stolen.
5 Points For your own roid being in gal.
2 Points for having Flag's at end of rnd.

etc
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 19:51   #24
_Kila_
break it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee-
...and that is only the case in like 30 galaxies. In my gal in the round it was very active, though now that we've hit CTF havoc the only other active person exiled. I think this is the case in many galaxies though.
hehe I stole Seal from you

This is why it wouldn't work without private gals. You will just end up in a random gal with those annoying randoms who sign up but do not play.
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 19:58   #25
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

why the hell would people pay for a speedrnd account and not play actively?!
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 20:11   #26
_Kila_
break it down!

people don't pay for speedround accounts... paying for a speedround is not cool
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 23:06   #27
ANdrode
..comeback kid

ANdrode is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Paying for a speedround is nigh impossible if details are released *late*

(Aka, the wednesday before, or even later)
ANdrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 23:29   #28
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
welcome to pa.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 23:46   #29
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

well

CTF with 10man alliance Galaxies
(Alliance count limited to say.. 50 members to make everyone competetive in a speedgame where activity is lower).

Its the very basic concept of CTF and should really be the norm.

Lets just call it a alliance CTF tournament