User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 25 Jul 2005, 23:33   #1
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

kamikaze69 is an unknown quantity at this point
You specified an invalid number of ships.???

Last round, under the fleets page, you could click on the number of a ship in a particular fleet and move ALL to another fleet. Now, if you try and do that same function, it spits out the answer as named in the title of this thread.

Can this be fixed please?

I want what is rightfully MINE . I have much, but need MUCH MORE !!!

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
kamikaze69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2005, 23:43   #2
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of
Re: You specified an invalid number of ships.???

Ace.

By fixing(?) one bug, they made another one.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 00:00   #3
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

atleast this one doesn't seem abusive, just a pain

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 00:15   #4
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

am i right in saying all functions other than the javascript all option work?

my theory is that Kloopy did the "all" option in a way that gets filtered out by the new code - as when i use the javascript interface and specify a number of ships it works correctly.

i'll point pishmishy at this thread to investigate it

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 00:45   #5
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

How insanely hard can it be to explicitly convert the input to int, and make the "all" function use the numerical number for all available ships, which is stored in the js anyways?

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 03:24   #6
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It isn't hard. It was probably just "shotgun debugging"

Unread 26 Jul 2005, 05:25   #7
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

The old code used to treat any 'zero' amount as 'all'. The half-assed fix for this bug now seems to do something like:
Code:
if (($val = atoi($val)) < 1)
	error!;
Meaning that zero values are filtered as 'wrong'.
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 09:12   #8
pishmishy
Planetarion Developer

pishmishy will become famous soon enoughpishmishy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze69
Last round, under the fleets page, you could click on the number of a ship in a particular fleet and move ALL to another fleet. Now, if you try and do that same function, it spits out the answer as named in the title of this thread.
Fixed. The Javascript hadn't been properly calling the CGI scripts and this hadn't been noticed until tweaked the fleet's page to fix the other bug.
pishmishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 09:15   #9
pishmishy
Planetarion Developer

pishmishy will become famous soon enoughpishmishy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRat
How insanely hard can it be to explicitly convert the input to int
How do you sensibly convert an arbitrary string that someone decided to pass to the CGI script into a number? Best just to throw an error which was useful in this case as it showed up the Javascript as broken.
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 09:15   #10
pishmishy
Planetarion Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
It isn't hard. It was probably just shotgun debugging
Am glad you have such confidence in me
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 09:18   #11
pishmishy
Planetarion Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtothez
The old code used to treat any 'zero' amount as 'all'. The half-assed fix for this bug now seems to...
No, the code treats -1 as 'all'. The Javascript decided that passing 'all' to indicate all was a good thing. Which it wasn't. The 'half-assed' fix you mention throws an error if you input a non-integer value as the number of ships to move.
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 09:22   #12
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishmishy
are you surprised?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 14:34   #13
TheRat
Retired

Quote:
No, the code treats -1 as 'all'. The Javascript decided that passing 'all' to indicate all was a good thing..
Oh, so the JavaScript decided? It's a good thing it wasnt human error then..

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired

Last edited by TheRat; 26 Jul 2005 at 14:47.
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 14:37   #14
TheRat
Retired

Quote:
How do you sensibly convert an arbitrary string that someone decided to pass to the CGI script into a number?
A standard 'all' defined in the JS is hardly arbitrary. Also, thats not what I meant. I meant to lose the string, and instead have the js pull the number of ships in that fleet from the array which is allready present in the JS. That way, you'll be dealing with numbers only and dont need some "1337 h4x" to deal with 'all'.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 14:55   #15
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:

You got Dilbert as avatar which implies you got a clue (as the rewritten ticker also seems to prove, nice job there as so far it ticks a lot faster than the old one). However, this quick-and-dirty fix did make you look like a whacker again, who is playing around with a brittle system.
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 21:48   #16
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

AND NOW, with pishmishy fixing this, you can only move one type of ship at a time!!!

what happens if I want to send my Mozzies, and my Spids, and my Vips on an attack??? I have to perform the movement 3 times??? That's not right either. Last round you could stack so many things together...

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 21:58   #17
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

works for me

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 26 Jul 2005, 22:01   #18
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
works for me
you need ships to test it
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 22:07   #19
Kal
Inactive peon

i do have ships... - admin tools

using the js i moved 33 ships of each of my 3 types to fleet alpha

using the standard interface i moved 33 of my 3 types to beta

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 27 Jul 2005, 03:38   #20
TheRat
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
i do have ships... - admin tools

using the js i moved 33 ships of each of my 3 types to fleet alpha

using the standard interface i moved 33 of my 3 types to beta
So the JS decided to do as it was told this time ? Damn, I need to learn how to write those AI fleetmovement scripts ^^

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 03:54   #21
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

strange. my JS is only letting me move one type at a time - though i can move multiple in the old skool pulldown menus that i prefer.

heh.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 04:08   #22
TheRat
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
strange. my JS is only letting me move one type at a time .
The JS is obviouslt recognizing Kal as an admin, and decides to play nice to avoid deletion/modification.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 04:29   #23
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRat
The JS is obviouslt recognizing Kal as an admin, and decides to play nice to avoid deletion/modification.
lol

thats just amazing

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 07:01   #24
Chaos

Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

Doesn't work for me either. just noticed it today. and it annoyed the hell outa me.
R7-R11 : HR HC / NoS Head Techie / NoS WC
R12 : Retired <- GF gives ultimatum. PA or Her.
R13 : HR Peon -> BC -> MC (GC of Winning Gal)
R14 : HR HC
R15 : Retired <- GF dumps me cuz of PA.
R16 : HR Peon
R19 : Omen BC
R20-R30 : Retired
R31 : HR Peon

Someone give me a dictionary.
Cuz I don't seem to know what retired means. =/
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 09:46   #25
Supersander
'cause sex isn't enough

Supersander has a spectacular aura aboutSupersander has a spectacular aura aboutSupersander has a spectacular aura about

You only noticed it today, so basically you dont ever use it really, but still it annoys the hell out of you?
Supersander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 10:57   #26
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersander
You only noticed it today, so basically you dont ever use it really, but still it annoys the hell out of you?
The problem has only arisen in the last day or two mate SOME people arent superhuman like us, you know .
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 11:35   #27
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
strange. my JS is only letting me move one type at a time - though i can move multiple in the old skool pulldown menus that i prefer.

heh.
I thought everyone used those old skool pullown menus.

The clicky green stuff makes me panic.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 11:54   #28
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I loved the new fleet system, last round. Now it's just crap
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 15:33   #29
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
I loved the new fleet system, last round. Now it's just crap
Sorry, I've been away moving into my new flat and have no internet.
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 16:28   #30
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloopy
Sorry, I've been away moving into my new flat and have no internet.
come back and fix everything please :/

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 18:39   #31
Kal
Inactive peon

someone write down EXACTLY what they are doing that means it only lets them do one movement

are people queing multiple movmenets and then ignoring the extra ones or what?

i click on the number of ships to intiiate my moves and that worked fine.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 27 Jul 2005, 18:47   #32
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

ok, try this Kal:

You are a Xan no doubt...You see your fleet composition if your base??? all the green numbers??? well if you click on one of the numbers, and click ALL and move it to what would have been your Alpha fleet. THEN you click ANOTHER number in your base fleet and move it to what would have been your Alpha fleet, it REPLACES the old movement that WOULD have happened.

Now, if you used the system last round, it would have pasted the movement BELOW the one you just created, instead it replaces it. So, you CANNOT queue up 2-3 (or for some poor Zik) up to about 8 movements at once was what I was doing back in R13.

Does that explain it?

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 18:56   #33
Kal
Inactive peon

i'm cath actually

i'll give it another try, but i;m convinced it worked fine for me yesterday

don;lt suppose the people with problems are using a non-ie browser or something like that?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 27 Jul 2005, 18:59   #34
Kal
Inactive peon

ahah, so its a problem specific to all again

ok i'll get pishy to have a look

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 27 Jul 2005, 19:40   #35
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I use Firefox. But I think web stuff shouldnt just be coded for IE. Especially as IE's dominance is slowly decreasing...
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 20:20   #36
Kal
Inactive peon

i agree, i was just trying to find out if its browser specifc, but i've managed to reproduce it on ie now

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 27 Jul 2005, 21:33   #37
Heartless

It did actually work fine for me with Firefox.

But then again I only tried if I could stack ship orders at all. I did not try to move all ships.
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 00:11   #38
Neferti
part time ghost

Oh you can stack orders. Just not ones involving 'all'.
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 01:32   #39
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
Oh you can stack orders. Just not ones involving 'all'.
Even those worked for me in Firefox.
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 10:46   #40
Neferti
part time ghost

Maybe they fixed it, not had to try it for a couple of days...
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 15:07   #41
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

I tried about 12 hours ago, no luck there, not sure this morning since I have no fleets to work with yet.

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 15:55   #42
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

still no good guyz, I am using Firefox v1.0.6, does that matter any???

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 00:05   #43
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze69
still no good guyz, I am using Firefox v1.0.6, does that matter any???
i'm pretty sure the browser has nothing to do with it...
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 01:01   #44
kamikaze69
[F-crew] member

sometimes it does matter. On a Java designed website 'Buttons' don't work on Firefox...we have this issue with our network in my workplace, but that's off topic, lets fix this issue.

R13 - [F-CREW]
R14 - [F-CREW]
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 01:51   #45
Heartless

I stumbled across your problem once, it happens in one very specific case only, though.

Too bad it happened when I was pretty tired, trying to reproduce it atm.

EDIT:

Just managed to reproduce it, might even fix the JS myself and send in a fix :P

Steps to reproduce (assuming you are already on the fleets page):

1) Click on a shipname, for example "Beetle". Select the "From" fleet, then select "all" and select the "To" fleet. This will add the movement order as expected.
2) Now click on a different shipname, for example "Viper". Select the "From" fleet, then select "all" again, then select the "To" fleet. This will not add a new movement order but replace the existing one.

The "from" and "to" fleets in your movement orders do not have to be identical, it will overwrite the existing movement order whenever you got select to move "all" of a specific type.
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 10:18   #46
Neferti
part time ghost

Yes Heartless, now you see the problem. I hadnt come across it in a few days as I hadnt needed to use the move all commands like that, but I did last night and it's still there