User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

View Poll Results: How long should rounds 14 and 15 last?
8 weeks 82 27.70%
9 weeks 42 14.19%
10 weeks 172 58.11%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 7 Jun 2005, 22:09   #51
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold
Re: Round 14 and Round 15 lengths

Yes Paddy, I pointed that out back in 2000 as well...
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 22:47   #52
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

i voted 9. i also agree that the between rounds length is the real issue though.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 15:35   #53
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

a round should have 1337 ticks in fact (which is very close to 8 weeks)
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 09:43   #54
Santrie

Santrie is an unknown quantity at this point

I voted for 10 weeks because the game need a time for development and growth. Then follow a time where the alliances fight against each other and at least it need a time to confirm the position. In my eyes 8 week is to short to show the power of the game.
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 17:36   #55
Jinstarro
the Jinsomniac

Jinstarro is on a distinguished road

8 weeks. I wont play round 14 because of summer vacation, and i really dont want to play pa during christmas.
Jinstarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 17:40   #56
fedz

fedz can only hope to improve

should be longer than 10 weeks
fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jun 2005, 04:09   #57
ElvenStar

ElvenStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesseH
hmmm

how bout 16 weeks?

then round 14 can have utter decent beta testing and finish nicely before christmas, while round 15 can then be properly tested from christmas till early januari and kick off in the new year :-P

also it would take away the idea of less value for money, as it would nicely increase the value for money even, and as wakey pondered, there will be plenty of time to adapt to major changes in the game :-)

16 week rounds have my vote! (18 if possible!)
wessah as usual you have my vote .... 16 - 18 weeks ( 20 would be even better [ then we can still finish before christmas for all you n00bs ] )
Unread 13 Jun 2005, 18:49   #58
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

As long as possible. I want value for money
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 01:09   #59
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
even WW1 stopped on x-mas day, the two sides had a football match.
Only one of the christmases though - remember that there were 4 of them.

Plus, they had other things to do as well - such as burying their dead :\.

Having said that, IF pa runs over christmas, pause it on christmas day - but make it like a 48 tick stop as my christmas day is your christmas eve, and my boxing day is the yank's christmas day etc.

just a thought - /me wonders at whether PA could be sued for religious discrimination for not pausing over other 'holy' days...
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 04:54   #60
fedz

fedz can only hope to improve

longer than 10 weeks
fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 07:48   #61
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali
10 weeks for both rounds... war doesnt stop for a holiday that not everybody even celebrates..

10 weeks gives best play out of a round and crucial things happen in the last weeks. also gives best value imho
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 12:47   #62
Melesse
The Nephilim

Melesse is an unknown quantity at this point

Value, pah! I pay 15 bucks a month for WoW, and I hardly get to play. Even if the round only lasted 6 weeks, I'd consider this one of the best values of any game I play (short of BGII...I payed 80$ for it and it's expansion, and have prob played it 200 hours or more).

Melesse
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 15:07   #63
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melesse
Value, pah! I pay 15 bucks a month for WoW, and I hardly get to play. Even if the round only lasted 6 weeks, I'd consider this one of the best values of any game I play (short of BGII...I payed 80$ for it and it's expansion, and have prob played it 200 hours or more).

Melesse
Good point. I agree that PA is very inexpensive. I bet most of you spend a lot more than the cost of a full PA round on any given weekend's night. On the other hand i also think that time is not the same as value. A longer round doesn't necessarily mean you get more fun (=value imo) out of it.

PS: With the time i spent on (in) it, Morrowind is still unbeatable for me, although BGII might beat it in value.. barely.
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 20:46   #64
Remberasha

Remberasha has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Personally --

I think the round should not be done by a dated deadline but by a certain number of ticks. This would make sure that in case of occasional time shifts, game pauses, resets, and other problems that all players would be assured to get in their fair share of turns.

Lets say 1500 ticks until the game ends (or something like that), and you could even have a tick countdown counter (for the end of game) as well as the standard tick counter.

Remby
Unread 14 Jun 2005, 23:34   #65
truler

truler is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
just a thought - /me wonders at whether PA could be sued for religious discrimination for not pausing over other 'holy' days...
Thats just sad.... /me wonders if you can be sued for bothering us with your religious crap
truler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2005, 09:45   #66
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Well if the ticks are back to one hour then 10-12 weeks is good, but if goes back to 2 hours a tick, then 20 weeks would be needed
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2005, 09:49   #67
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
Well if the ticks are back to one hour then 10-12 weeks is good, but if goes back to 2 hours a tick, then 20 weeks would be needed
Is it me or you who is missing something here? Did the ticks actually ever run at 2 hours?
(yes i'm aware there was some april fool's joke about 2 hour ticks)
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2005, 14:24   #68
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
Is it me or you who is missing something here? Did the ticks actually ever run at 2 hours?
(yes i'm aware there was some april fool's joke about 2 hour ticks)
I think hes made a mistake myself :/
2 hour ticks was funny though hehe

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2005, 18:36   #69
Holyboy
pe0n

Holyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

8 weeks might mean i actually finish a round, :P
[HomaX] Forever!
Holyboy is offline   Reply With Quote