User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 4 May 2005, 16:31   #1
MotoX
Stolen

MotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these parts
Cathaar wins....NOT

I can’t win this round and only for the reason I went Cathaar :P

So now I need to rethink what to do the rest of the round; maybe act as flak for some Zik friend….

Question : Why is it that hard to make the races equal, almost every round some race dominates more then others ?
And it has become more and more important which race you go for to succeed in this game.

I could understand if the beginning was hard when it comes to ship stats but now we’re in Round 13.
Unread 4 May 2005, 16:46   #2
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
Re: Cathaar wins....NOT

I realised this pretty early on, and have found it difficult as i decided to play properly and not just xp whoring around the placewith a small value. Sure i have a big cr fleet, but with so many corsair heavy ziks around and decent sized xans, cr attacks are probably lowest success rate in game atm hence i am finding it hard to roid anyone over my value ( which is only people i usually attack as im not a newb basher). def wise i keep getting slaughtered by bs waves (850 being most in 1 wave lol)
So yeah i too need to decide whether to either start hitting smaller targets lots of times for lots of roids and little xp, or keep trying to attack bigger value zik/xans in the hope eventually some cruisers get through.
Since my bw are up to nice size i may try getting through on terrans with de/cr and see how heavily it get covered.
But afraid staying in top 100 wont last much longer for caths, infact u only need to look on sandmans to see caths really are struggling.
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 17:00   #3
MotoX
Stolen

MotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these parts

Yep, there are only 6 of us left in Top 100 now
Unread 4 May 2005, 17:32   #4
Furyous

Furyous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to behold

Totally agree. And I'm sure that it's not just Cathaar players who have made this observation. As stated, the universe stats speak for themselves. I chose Cathaar because I came back this round after a year break, and I had always used to play Cathaar (extremely poor reason, I know). A shortage of killing ships has always been an intrinsic fault of the race, but in the past I always remember that extremely good initiative/effectiveness and roiding options/ability made up for this fundamental shortfall, such that Cats stood as good a chance of doing well as any other race. It seems now that although Cathaar's have a few more killing ships, they have lost their significant advantages in effectiveness / cost (i.e. the ships need to be more effective or cheaper).

Alas this round, it is too late, and while I advised my RL friend to play Zik (who is now doing very well, thankyou), I can only continue to soldier on against endless attackers, while at the same time attack small planets, or other Cathaar players. boo!
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 17:48   #5
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I think that these stats are the most balanced we've had since PaX (PaX stats sucked though). I think that ziks, xans and terrans are all quite nicely balanced, but unfortunately, caths got a bit owned.

The 'killer EMP' idea in suggestions is quite nice IMO, and could make attacking caths less viable...
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 17:52   #6
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

It doesn't have all that much to do with the stats.

The fact is that Cath sucks in "siege" rounds, which involve large alliances kicking the crap out of each other on a nightly basis. In rounds where one side wins with relative ease, Cathaar do much better, because they are probably the best race attack-wise, but the weakest defensively (for their inability to kill anything much).

People who expect the races to remain equal in usefulness in every round are denying the effects of the "meta-game", the alliance politics and attack strategies that have a strong effect on the outcome of a round. This round, I'd say 1up are fairly Cath-heavy, but politics has been against them, thus depressing the performance of Cathaar as a race. Exilition have (until recently) been a stronger performer and are fairly Xan-heavy, boosting Xan as a race. Part of this might be because of their race choice, but it's equally possible that alliance politics are altering the performance of the races.

Your choice of race reflects how you expect the round to pan out - I picked Zik because I (correctly ) anticipated getting a lot of incoming and figured that I might be better off stealing ships from my attackers than going for a massive roid count. If you didn't put any such thought into your race selection, you only have yourself to blame imo.

For those that say "but I always place [race X]!", then perhaps you should consider being a more flexible player? I don't see why the stats should compensate for your inability to vary your tactics.
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 18:24   #7
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

Rob u make a very sensible post and id actually not thought about how the round would play out when i chose my race. I notice lots of 1up went cath yes and also many exilition went xan ( No good xan targets for me ) so does that mean that most wp went zik then? as most wp planets i been hit by are big zik/terrans and it may help explain why they are doing so well.
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 4 May 2005, 20:06   #8
Furyous

Furyous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
The fact is that Cath sucks in "siege" rounds, which involve large alliances kicking the crap out of each other on a nightly basis. In rounds where one side wins with relative ease, Cathaar do much better, because they are probably the best race attack-wise, but the weakest defensively (for their inability to kill anything much).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
The 'killer EMP' idea in suggestions is quite nice IMO, and could make attacking caths less viable...
Yup, perhaps as a future alteration, given that it is likely that future rounds will follow similar trends to this one (in that it is a 'siege' round, as Rob states), it would make sense to make each cathaar ship have a low initiative/high effectiveness emp shot, followed by a high (as in slow) initiative/very low effectiveness killer shot. It isn't out of all reasonable logic that a race with both emp and killer ships would combine the two in a 1-2 combo. Certainly more logical than prelaunched ships showing up on jumpgate scans!

Anyway, that would put an element of threat to attacking a cathaar player: they retain the advantages of emp effectiveness, and are still at a relative disadvantage as far as killing is concerned. I think this would be a much more logical system than some cathaar ships being killer ships and most of them (the important ones), being emp only.
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 23:19   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main problem is the amount of terrans around and then the other problem being the amount of Ziks and Terrans arround ie ziks with stolen BS.
Kinda really makes it hard for cats to get by but the way i look at it is they can only be xp whores tbh.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 00:39   #10
MotoX
Stolen

The thing is that if you chose the”wrong” race from start you’re out of the picture and can’t do anything about it.
Or you could say; you pay for a game you can’t possible win because you made the wrong start choice.
So now it’s more of a gamble who wins then pure skill as it should be.

(Yet there is one factor that can’t be questioned and that is the ships Stats which are revelled to the public eye before start – we could say – read the stats and you wouldn’t make the wrong choice!? )

But the question still stands; why after 13 rounds of PA aren’t the races more even?

And finally, adding a constructive idea…

Why not make it changeable, the races?

Let’s say you get the option once or twice in a round to convert your race, change it from Cathaar to Terran – transform all your spiders to Harpies etc. ofc the fleet value must be the same as it was before?
Unread 5 May 2005, 00:43   #11
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i have found my cr fleet to be ineffective in the last week due to ****ing in gal corsairs, however i think i have an answer...
Unread 5 May 2005, 01:57   #12
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Most of cathaar's players problems seem to stem from the same two points:
1) they get attacked alot
2) Their CR attacks arnt succeeding due to massive amounts of Corsairs (esp in-gal, lo sniborp ).

Obviously, the solution is not to be so inflexible. Cathaar are an attacking race, and this is an attacking round - there is no reason why caths shouldnt be doing better. This round, it isnt important to keep roids, rather to capture roids - as that is how you get XP and Score. Granted, it is important to keep your attack fleet alive - however it isnt so important to keep your roids.

That brings me onto my next point - Cathaar (along with all the other races) has two classes of pods!!! OMG?!!? who would have thought!!?!?! :\ Clearly, if CR arent working, build a Mos/Beetle fleet (again) and attack the big Xans. I have found 25k CO at ETA 7 difficult to defend against, as often my attacking fleet (Vsh, other FI etc) is out and so are all the other xan's FI fleets. It has a much higher success rate than CR against me.

All i have to say is that the caths that tend to be complaining are the ones who are too inflexible to pull their head out of their arse and smell the roses - ie looking at the situation and realising that their race is still very powerful, if it is used correctly.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 02:01   #13
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

On a side note, i think that my suggestion of making cathaar's two kill ships very efficient killers has been overlooked. It wouldnt make them offensively powerful if said kill ships are not in the same class as their roiding fleet - however it would go a long way to discouraging two race's from using that pod fleet to attack cathaars with - reducing the incoming and thus reducing the whinging.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 10:28   #14
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
That brings me onto my next point - Cathaar (along with all the other races) has two classes of pods!!! OMG?!!? who would have thought!!?!?! :\ Clearly, if CR arent working, build a Mos/Beetle fleet (again) and attack the big Xans. I have found 25k CO at ETA 7 difficult to defend against, as often my attacking fleet (Vsh, other FI etc) is out and so are all the other xan's FI fleets. It has a much higher success rate than CR against me.

All i have to say is that the caths that tend to be complaining are the ones who are too inflexible to pull their head out of their arse and smell the roses - ie looking at the situation and realising that their race is still very powerful, if it is used correctly.
The only problem with that right now is that Caths (like myself) have a lot of resources invested in that CR fleet. If they've specialised in CR, then they often have only a couple of thousand beetles and probably no mosquitos right now. It's pretty difficult to build 25k CO when you've been not been able to get a decent number of roids all round.

For a Cath CO fleet of 22k Beetles/3k Mosquitos (taking your example), The ships will cost 23,200,000 Metal, 34,600,000 Crystal, 23,200,000 Eonium.

That sort of resources hardly grows on trees. At the moment CR Caths are just trying to keep up by plunging all of their resources into CR. To do an about turn and build CO would take a lot of time (a couple of weeks?) and you're useless during that time.
Unread 5 May 2005, 10:35   #15
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

tbh i realise the caths are weak. But if they team up they can do rather well.

CR/FR is the main combo i use with my cath mates and its kinda killer

As regarding race choice, theirs stats u can look at them and get a fair idea of what race is gonna be domiant and what race the whipping boys. Hence why im zik
Unread 5 May 2005, 10:56   #16
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Yeah i think im going to switch to co fleet as i have 7k co atm which gets through say every other day but i invested in 2.3k cruiser which has becaome a nightmare fleet for me as even on good alliance wave attackes etc the cr seems the only one to ever get deffed against.

Two things i contemplating doing: Building a big co fleet and hitting, caths,xans,
Build up bw and try hit some terrans with de/cr
Although this may be an even bigger waste
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 5 May 2005, 12:04   #17
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

About the only problem with cathaar this round that is the fault of stats is probably the corsair vs the firepower of the tarantula. And if that ratio was better, that'd mean a cath cr pod fleet would target all anti cr ships. The main problem is what's stated ^^, about how cath are the weakest race defensively as most people can outflak them, and overpowering their EMP ability won't help. They can always be outflaked, that's the nature of EMP. I don't know that making a % of cath kill would help, and it'd certainly make it harder to balance the stats if the % was modified by researches etc.
Unread 5 May 2005, 12:32   #18
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

sorry appoco, I didn't know cat had a CR to DE ship, my bad....

Rob's hit the nail on the head here, and so has Sov.
and you can switch to a co fleet quite easily if you also do joint attacks with the cr.... either with other cats or with say a xan (xan fr cr plus cat fr cr, is just plain nasty)

But the trouble with cat has been in part due to the pod changes as well, emp doesn't stopo a flet like it used to (you could lock down all pods and flak wasn't all stopped, now it's the other way around) and if you're not killing then people will land....

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 14:17   #19
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

yes ok, all kill / steal ships then :P
Unread 6 May 2005, 11:38   #20
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This round, it isnt important to keep roids, rather to capture roids - as that is how you get XP and Score. Granted, it is important to keep your attack fleet alive - however it isnt so important to keep your roids.
Wrong. Roids have always been the most important thing. Roids give you resources, which translate into ships and value. That's your attacking power. XP is useless. If you can't keep the roids you get, you are screwed. And the truth is that Cathaar are the worse race at keeping their roids. Of course it's quite easy to say: Cathaar are an attacking race, go attack! If you haven't realized that a Cathaar loses about 1.5 roids for every roid he gets once he's decent sized, you are blind. (Which makes me really wonder what in heaven you are doing in #strategy)
Quote:
That brings me onto my next point - Cathaar (along with all the other races) has two classes of pods!!! OMG?!!? who would have thought!!?!?! :\ Cleaif CR arent working, build a Mos/Beetle fleet (again) and attack the big Xans. I have found 25k CO at ETA 7 difficult to defend against, as often my attacking fleet (Vsh, other FI etc) is out and so are all the other xan's FI fleets. It has a much higher success rate than CR against me.
Yeah, go CO at this stage of the game, and hit what?? Xans? any xan without a healthy number of lancers by now is just plainly stupid. So LOL. Terrans? Phoenixes. LOL. Ziks? ROFLMAO.
That leaves you with one target: Caths, and guess what, they are not the most roid heavy atm.

The only other viable option left is to find an attacking partner, and be his escort.
Unread 6 May 2005, 11:42   #21
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

What i am still wondering is why, if Jester already admitted that Cath's are neutered this round, he doesn't adjust some stats to give them a chance to fight. It has been done before, and it is not too late to do it.
Unread 6 May 2005, 11:54   #22
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k
What i am still wondering is why, if Jester already admitted that Cath's are neutered this round, he doesn't adjust some stats to give them a chance to fight. It has been done before, and it is not too late to do it.
go away, you winging nonse

normally i'm quite polite (ish) in my posts, but you're being inflamatory and unhelpful.

ps there's a difference between escorting and cross fleet attacking. try learning this difference.

Unread 6 May 2005, 12:32   #23
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy
go away, you winging nonse

normally i'm quite polite (ish) in my posts, but you're being inflamatory and unhelpful.

ps there's a difference between escorting and cross fleet attacking. try learning this difference.
I know the difference between escorting and cross fleet attacking. But as long as stats make Cathaar so vulnerable, the only party that benefits from cross fleet attacking is the attacking partner, since Cathaars can't keep the roids they get. So, with this current setup, it's almost the same as escorting.
The point in the post is a valid request, Cathaar are totally underpowered atm. I would like to know the reason cath stats are being kept like they are.
Unread 6 May 2005, 14:55   #24
E-Choke
Pipo P
Mumu Champion

E-Choke is an unknown quantity at this point

Any cathaar who thinks it's fair ?
Unread 6 May 2005, 15:55   #25
electron
electric storm conjurer

electron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Choke
If there's such a non-sensical player around, please also post coords so we can all show him/her he/she's wrong.
electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 16:22   #26
MrPubes
Lieutnant Commander

MrPubes can only hope to improve

I got a RL mate who is Cath with a pure CO Fleet.
He's kinda small on value, but he really caps a lot of roids and made a lot of XP with that. (30k+).
Needless to say he is very good on rankings, very very good when compared to other Caths ofc. ;-)
I sometimes lend him some Fireblades...and there he goes. Most of the Xans get wtfpwned by a big Co Fleet, really. (I probably would, too. Though I'm not too small.)
So it's not about Cath suxx0ring and being all lousy and shit. Although other races are a big stronger than Cath this round, they're still not bad!
Unread 6 May 2005, 16:46   #27
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Great guys, now you morons advertise to the whole ****ing game what was the only real weapon cath had left (the co fleet), why don't you just add 'build much anti-co and no cath will bother you) to the MOTD.

Oh and yeah, I'm a cathaar. Which really doesn't help my planet, which I started 400 ticks late, heh. Needless to say, I do agree with the sentiment that cathaar is weak. But I'm to be convinced that they should be tweaked. I admit I chose cathaar without expecting to commit to the game actively as I did so didn't look at the stats at all. So, I have noone but myself to be blame for letting myself into this situation.#

Frankly, most of you should adopt the same attitude since if you couldn't forsee or didn't, then tough luck.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 16:48   #28
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Make corsair co class.

Problem solved.
Unread 6 May 2005, 16:51   #29
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Yes, let's improve the ziks even more by extending their co fleet. Please do realise that everything has consequences, short-mindedness is fatal.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 17:13   #30
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Make the corsair target FR and the thief target CR.
Unread 6 May 2005, 17:21   #31
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Isnt it like this almost every round?
r2 it was the thief
r3 it was the warfrigate
r4 it was the spider/phonix/pod combo
r8 it was xan
etc etc

Most rounds have been unballenced, the good players figure it out before the round starts, the bad ones dont
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 17:30   #32
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh yes, lets change all the stats, not just the Cath ones. That way, we can piss off 77% of the players for the sake of 23% of them!!!

Morons.
Unread 6 May 2005, 17:34   #33
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPubes
I got a RL mate who is Cath with a pure CO Fleet.
He's kinda small on value, but he really caps a lot of roids and made a lot of XP with that. (30k+).
Needless to say he is very good on rankings, very very good when compared to other Caths ofc. ;-)
I sometimes lend him some Fireblades...and there he goes. Most of the Xans get wtfpwned by a big Co Fleet, really. (I probably would, too. Though I'm not too small.)
So it's not about Cath suxx0ring and being all lousy and shit. Although other races are a big stronger than Cath this round, they're still not bad!
Okay yes thanks ill build one ships class and attack 1 race for the whole round to be high ranking s that sound fun.....NOT

Most normal players want the chance to be able to do well by making use of all the ships both in attack and defece. To build just co and just attack xans /caths is not reaslly playing pa tbh but a tactic for finishing high ranks by xp.
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 6 May 2005, 18:14   #34
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX
I can’t win this round and only for the reason I went Cathaar :P

So now I need to rethink what to do the rest of the round; maybe act as flak for some Zik friend….

Question : Why is it that hard to make the races equal, almost every round some race dominates more then others ?
And it has become more and more important which race you go for to succeed in this game.

I could understand if the beginning was hard when it comes to ship stats but now we’re in Round 13.
I didnt see you contribue when the stats were carved out
Unread 6 May 2005, 18:36   #35
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
Not everyone gets a chance to contribute?
Unread 6 May 2005, 18:57   #36
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
Public beta?
Unread 6 May 2005, 22:10   #37
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity
Public beta?
i) there was no public beta for round 13, it was a 'preview' and the stats were allegedly finalised
ii) by the time it gets to public beta, its too late to make major changes/give a lot of input
Unread 6 May 2005, 22:40   #38
Jack Parsons

Jack Parsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
A large majority of people who order a hamburger at a restaurant make no contributions to the farming, processing, distribution or preperation of said hamburger. Yet some would complain if they found a stray pubic hair nestled in some lettuce, or if they got food poisoning from spoiled meat.

Movie watchers rarely have anything to do with the production of their entertainment but some people walk out of shit movies or demand a refund if some minor technical problem occurs.

This is my first time playing PA, but it seems that the entertainment value for Cat players is considerably less for reasons stated here and in other threads (not cat myself btw). It makes sense that they have been complaining somewhat or simply quitting/becoming inactive. Why waste time on a tick-based text-only game that is more chore then fun, where you have virtually no chance of success?

Might be what I'm doing, but that's besides the point. =]
Jack Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 22:44   #39
ComradeRob
wasted

Define "success".

I still think this has more to do with the fact that there are relatively few caths in the alliances which are currently winning. A great many players are likely to be unable to "win" due to no fault of their own - purely because their alliance loses. Race choice has nothing to do with that.
Unread 6 May 2005, 23:06   #40
Jack Parsons

Having a high score at the end of the round compared to other players of your skill level?

http://www.sandmans.co.uk/?p=rankpla...r2=DESC&page=1
http://www.sandmans.co.uk/?p=rankpla...r2=DESC&page=1
http://www.sandmans.co.uk/?p=rankpla...ue&order2=DESC

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and claim that caths in all alliances are struggling, but I'm just basing that on stats. You know, the ones that show the top cat atm with ~300 roids and 400k value. From what has been seen so far, the downward spiral of most cath's value and roids compared to other races (i guess their universe positions) shows no sign of stopping really, and there's still half the round left.

I also believe that newb caths are having just as hard a time keeping up with other newbs, if not harder.

Last edited by Jack Parsons; 6 May 2005 at 23:11.
Jack Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 May 2005, 22:34   #41
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k
I know the difference between escorting and cross fleet attacking. But as long as stats make Cathaar so vulnerable, the only party that benefits from cross fleet attacking is the attacking partner, since Cathaars can't keep the roids they get. So, with this current setup, it's almost the same as escorting.
The point in the post is a valid request, Cathaar are totally underpowered atm. I would like to know the reason cath stats are being kept like they are.
it's called xp.

Cathaar ALWAYS had a problem holding roids. they were always an agressive race. Nothing has changed, go out, get roids, lose roids, get more roids...... fs :/

Unread 7 May 2005, 23:12   #42
Neferti
part time ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy
it's called xp.

Cathaar ALWAYS had a problem holding roids. they were always an agressive race. Nothing has changed, go out, get roids, lose roids, get more roids...... fs :/
Get roids how? Most cats went for cruisers, and its too late to change now without suiciding, right? (I'm not one of those).
Unread 7 May 2005, 23:19   #43
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

I like the Viper stats, but the rest, I like the R12 stats for Cathaar better (except those stupid Defenders) where Roaches are NOT cruisers.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 00:00   #44
Jack Parsons

I guess the game stats aren't enough to prove that there's something wrong with caths? Doesn't the race choice ratio of paid planets show that more chose cath?

It's funny how people are blaming other customers for choosing one the available races. It's listed as the second easiest to use. Yeah guys, it should really be the custommer's job to examine a page of stats and plug in every possible factor to figure out if a race is going to suck donkey balls. Personally, I'd rather papercut my scrotum and then dip it in lemon juice.

People aren't going to buy something if it's not worth the money to them. Unbalanced strategy games that are sold for profit usually fail as far I know.
Unread 8 May 2005, 13:10   #45
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Quote:
Get roids how? Most cats went for cruisers, and its too late to change now without suiciding, right? (I'm not one of those).
so what you're saying is, it's not just my job to have to point out how pax works re XP, I now have to sit every cat player down and tell them how to construct their fleets beforer tick 72 as well and THEN they'll be happy?

see what I like is this.

if 1 guy makes a mess, well that's his fault
if 10 guys make a mess, then there were a lot of stupid people in one place that night...
if 100 guys make a mess, then it isn't the 100 guys fault, oh no it's the people in charge.

No, sorry, a muppet is a muppet. it was going to be painfully obvious that the only race to allow 3 ticks for defence against their primary fleet compared to 2 or 1, was going to have to have a special fleet or at least customised, and how many cats have done that? none. so doesn't that indicate that making the co your primary would have madethe most sense. PS cat co is armoured mo fos so don't come crying about lancers and how you can't stop them. get a mate, or get a different target.

BUT FOR GODS SAKE PEOPLE TAKE SOME FING RESPONSIBILITY

Unread 8 May 2005, 18:12   #46
Neferti
part time ghost

Calm down.
Unread 8 May 2005, 18:33   #47
Cannon_Fodder

Its only a commercial*

*product
Unread 16 May 2005, 15:39   #48
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Choke
Lo E-Choke Its generally fair, other than its to easy for ziks to be build a ridiculous amount of corsair. But its my own fault, im too stubborn to go CO. We British like an underdog, and im gradually creeping up the rankings each each day (even when i dont land ) To finish t250 for a CR fleet only Cathaar is imo a massive achievement this round. Thats my motivation this round. All other CR heavy cathaars - stop moaning, team up
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2005, 16:46   #49
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN
Lo E-Choke Its generally fair, other than its to easy for ziks to be build a ridiculous amount of corsair. But its my own fault, im too stubborn to go CO. We British like an underdog, and im gradually creeping up the rankings each each day (even when i dont land ) To finish t250 for a CR fleet only Cathaar is imo a massive achievement this round. Thats my motivation this round. All other CR heavy cathaars - stop moaning, team up
imo the co fleet isnt any better than the cr fleet.

too much targeting them and we dont got anything targeting the def.

Ofc u can team up.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2005, 05:52   #50
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
I tried to make sure everyone could contribute, even if they weren't part of the private beta.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote