User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 2 Dec 2005, 02:32   #1
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future
Computer wont boot up

A buddy of mine gave me a pc to look at that wont boot up. Nothing at all shows on the monitor and I hear no post beeps to indicate anything and the speaker is hooked up. (I assume this eliminates ram)

Power supply is fine

Ive swapped out the agp vid card for a pci to no avail

Ive swapped the processor for the same make and model. It does heat up if i leave it running for a few.

Ive put the hard drive in my pc and it has an os on it.

My guess is its the motherboard. Either someone has messed with the jumpers or its fubared.

Any ideas?
Unread 2 Dec 2005, 03:20   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Computer wont boot up

my bet would be the mobo as well, if not the bios
has he tried flashing it, only for it to die half way?
Unread 2 Dec 2005, 04:53   #3
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

It wont flash at all. I thought of replacing the bios chip, but its not easily found and I cant be arsed to buy one in case thats not the problem :P
Unread 2 Dec 2005, 05:05   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i was more asking if he was flashing it before, and now its broken because of it
but its imo either the mobo which needs replacing, or the bios chip
Unread 2 Dec 2005, 05:07   #5
Fyodor
Behe

thanks bub