User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 29 Nov 2005, 13:05   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Kernal_stack_in_page_error

This error has seemingly started happneing over the past week ish...

It never appears when im at the PC..

Now i think i know what has caused it but id like some expert opinion on why it would do that....

I checked the computer logs and at precisely 2:01 everynight the pc would suffer a seizure and crash and reboot. I turned off rebooting and had a look around to see what happened at 2:00am.....

Turns out MS Antispyware was sheduled to run a spyware scan every night at 2.
I shut this off and voila no more blue screens to wake up too.

However time passed and the BSOD returned. Id leave the PC for a few hours and return to the blue screen with the kernal error showing. I googled for it and apparently its either memory/corruption/hdd dying or some other serious system fault.

Downloaded memtest and ran it through a couple of cycles. Memory checked out fine.

Ran scandisk and it said something was using the hdd or somesuch so scheduled another test upon reboot. Rebooted. IT checked and found nothing wrong with the pc.

So i thought HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZ

This had not been happening prior to installing Avast! antivirus (nb3 recommendation )
I had a look around in the settings and found nothing of real relevance. I found it odd that it seemed to happen only when the PC was idle.... but my pc wasnt idle all the time. IT would kick into the screensaver. I disabled my fancy and funky screensaver and set it back to windows default.

BSOD continued to appear.
I then returned to looking at Avast and had failed to notice thaty it does some sort of backup thing "VRDB generation" and low and behold its set to run during the screensaver.

Now ive disabled it and so far (fingers crosssed) the BSOD hasnt returned. What worries me somewhat is why have two programs (MS antispyware and Avast) both had to have scheduled scans turned off and 'background processes' disabled whilst the screensaver or whatnot is running to ensure my PC doesnt lock up?

Has anyone else found this problem?

Im curious because although i think ive fixed it with some detective work im still not totally sure why it would even happen in the first place.

Any thuoghts?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2005, 13:16   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Kernal_stack_in_page_error

thats strange.
tried running sfc to see if any system files are broken?
(theory being if it breaks when something is scheduled, there might be something wrong with the scheduler / windows to cause it? )
Unread 29 Nov 2005, 13:22   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ive reshacked one or two files so it would probably kick up a fuss about that (the sound icon is now white instead of its crapness more so i can see it with a black taskbar)
Unread 29 Nov 2005, 13:22   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

i suppose i could check and backup any changes ive made then put them back in. its asking for the windows CD a lot tho which does not fill me with hope
Unread 29 Nov 2005, 13:33   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

it needs to compaire them with the versions on the cd ( which being read only should be in pristine condition and not affected - in theory) , thats why.
still yeah it would probably complain about those sound icons and other stuff.
Unread 29 Nov 2005, 13:43   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

it ran and nothing came up....
Unread 29 Nov 2005, 13:48   #7
Phil^
Insomniac

hm :/
then im out of ideas im afraid. i cant think of any logical reason for that to be happening
Unread 29 Nov 2005, 14:44   #8
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

You didnt provide us with a screenshot or info about the BSOD but if you are willing to invest some work you should be able to find the reason with using these tools:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilitie...sExplorer.html

Due to the nature of your problem and that you likely cant use a remote kernel debugger, you may have to start with FileMon and work from there. Did you check the "event viewer" entries?

ps: make sure in case of a BSOD that the most recent entries of the log are actually flushed to the logfile - otherwise you wont even see what triggered it
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2005, 14:18   #9
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I had an even more bizarre fault once. Turned my machine off overnight and when I started again quite a lot of programs and files were reporting "File Currupt" in a dialogue box. I searched everywhere on the net and Microsofts knowledge base and could find no reference to the message anywhere.

I scanned my HDD, had no errors on it. Scanned my memory, no errors either. Scanned for viruses or spyware, nothing found. Did a system file check, no difference. My machine contonued to run fine for weeks after but I could not get rid of the message from appearing occasionally. Finally I gave up and re-installed windows and never had a problem since. Was totally bizarre.
Unread 1 Dec 2005, 00:16   #10
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
I had an even more bizarre fault once. Turned my machine off overnight and when I started again quite a lot of programs and files were reporting "File Currupt" in a dialogue box. I searched everywhere on the net and Microsofts knowledge base and could find no reference to the message anywhere.

I scanned my HDD, had no errors on it. Scanned my memory, no errors either. Scanned for viruses or spyware, nothing found. Did a system file check, no difference. My machine contonued to run fine for weeks after but I could not get rid of the message from appearing occasionally. Finally I gave up and re-installed windows and never had a problem since. Was totally bizarre.
That sounds like the kind of errors you get when either you HDD malfunctions, or a machine that lost power while writing to disc.

Beware of standby on laptops I should add, already costed me a format when my HDD went wacky because the battery ran out while it was on standby.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2005, 18:45   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

a) James stop using fancy screen savers you big faggot
b) Odd, try uninstalling the virus scanner and re-enabling the MSAS scan and see if it still happens. If not, get a different virus scanner.

Still, it does seem odd.
Unread 1 Dec 2005, 19:22   #12
JammyJim
Godfather

that arnt fancy
they are really slick

http://reallyslick.com/