User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 21 Nov 2005, 16:22   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Switch/Router to work with Netgear SC101 (DHCP help?)

I just got one of the Netgear SC101 NAS drives to add some extra storage.

I have the following switch: http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...613&pfp=BROWSE

Plugging the SC101 into the switch doesn't seem to work and I can't detect the SC101 on the network. I think this is a problem with DHCP but I'm not really sure what I need to do or whether the switch I have is compatible with the SC101.

If anyone can advise me on how to get this working it'd be great. I think the most likely response is that I'll need to get a new switch/router and if that's the case I was hoping that people could recommend one that'll work with the SC101.

A wireless switch/router may be even better but it'd need to have at least one ethernet port for the SC101 to plug in to.

The network is setup:

USB Modem -> Main PC -> Switch (the one linked above) -> Other PCs and SC101

Hard drives are connected fine. There are three lights on the front of the SC101, hard drives, power and network. The first two are fine (green) but the network has a problem (orange).

I'm sure the problem is with DHCP but I don't really know what I need to know. The SC101 needs DHCP running for it to work but I don't know if the switch I have does this or how to check.

I suspect it doesn't and I should be looking at getting a decent switch/router.

Thanks for any help.
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 20:44   #2
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switch/Router to work with Netgear SC101 (DHCP help?)

Reading netgears support site would seem to indicate the the lights are normal.

I don't think your switch has DHCP, generally they don't. I imagine your modem has DHCP capabilities, but as you have it connected now there's no link between it and the rest of the network.

I would suggest trying one of the following:

If your modem has an ethernet port use that instead of the usb, that way it can act as a DHCP server (assuming it supports this feature) and serve net access to the rest of the network.

If it doesn't support ethernet, most usb modems (actually I'm assuming it's a broadband one not dialup) will appear as a virtual ethernet adapter on your computer. You should be able to bridge this with your standard ethernet adapter under xp to create a path that your modem can communicate to the rest of the network with.

The other way is to invoke xp's built in DHCP server. You can create a dummy dialup connection and share it, doing this will allow xp to act as a DHCP server, however I don't know if this will break your internet settings and prevent your usb modem from working properly.

The final solution is download DHCP Turbo. It's a freeware software based DHCP server and should allow you to get around the problem without buying additional hardware.
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 01:33   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There is an inbetween option - if you enable Internet Connection Sharing for your USB modem (it doesn't need to be dialup, this works with ADSL or Cable) then your Windows PC will start acting as a DHCP server.

Failing that then yes a hardware router would be an option. Switches do not have DHCP servers - they are strictly to transfer local network traffic (ie. traffic on the same subnet).
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 15:01   #4
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
There is an inbetween option - if you enable Internet Connection Sharing for your USB modem (it doesn't need to be dialup, this works with ADSL or Cable) then your Windows PC will start acting as a DHCP server.

Failing that then yes a hardware router would be an option. Switches do not have DHCP servers - they are strictly to transfer local network traffic (ie. traffic on the same subnet).
Thanks, I knew you'd be able to help

Don't I already have ICS on as I have USB Modem -> Main PC -> Switch -> Other PCs?
Could you explain briefly what I need to do to configure ICS to use DHCP?

Also would ICS work with the SC101 connected to the switch or would I need to directly connect it to the PC instead?

Are there any specific routers you'd recommend or would any do what I want? I guess wireless would be better as long as it had at least one ethernet port to connect the SC101 to.
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 15:25   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh, that's interesting.
Your PC is already acting as a DHCP server I assume, if other PCs are on the network. There's an easy way to find out - these instructions are for XP and need to be performed on a PC which ISN'T the one connected to the modem:

- Go to Run in the start menu
- type "cmd" and press enter
- type "ipconfig /all"

Somewhere in all the info should be a line listing your DHCP server, if you have one. The IP address should match that of the PC with the modem connected to it.
If you have one but the IP address doesn't match, find out which one it is and post back.
If there isn't one listed at all, then I'm a little confused!

I had a quick glance at the install guide for the SC101 and it seems that it should "just work" if DHCP is present. Hmmmmm.
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 16:38   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac

I thought about this, but when I went to verify it on my own system I wasn't given the option of enabling ICS on my interface, I geuss it's only certain interface types then.

Also some smart switches and a few of the really high end ones (couple of Cisco ones as an example) do indeed have incorported DHCP servers. It wouldn't surprise me too much if we started seeing some of these more advanced features creeping into home switches as is usally the way with most technology.

Ragnarak it sounds like most of everything should be in order, if you have ICS enabled then the DHCP server is already running. It might pay to look at other causes as to why the configuration software cannot see the network drive. Is there a firewall anywhere that might be preventing the software from seeing the device? Check to see if windows firewall is enabled or not on your adaper. Make sure no other firewall software is blocking things, common offenders are either zonealarm or norton internet security.
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 17:05   #7
Ragnarak

I've tried it running with no firewall and still no joy.

Also tried it connected directly to the main PC as well as via the switch and neither worked.

When another PC is connected to the switch, the main PC (with ICS/DHCP running on it) will automatically assign it an IP to the new machine, right? Should it automatically assign the SC101 an IP or is there a way to do it manually?
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 17:23   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Yes assignement should be automatic.
There is no way to manually assign an IP without having access to the OS of the device you want to assign it to - it's set client-side not server-side if you don't use DHCP.

I'm starting to wonder if your SAN thingy is actually defective, but before deciding on that I'd suggest taking it to someone elses network and trying it there to double check.
Unread 23 Nov 2005, 22:51   #9
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

smeg9 is on a distinguished road

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/sc101.asp

It seems to suggest that it has it's own DCHP built in...

Goto My Network Places --> View Network Connections

Right Click on Local Area Conection xx

Goto Properties..

Click on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" option, then click the properties button...

Now Choose "obtain automatically" on both of these. Click appy, windows will hang for a few moments.

Click OK.

Now, right click on Local area connection xxx again, this time goto status.

Click on the support tab, it should say "Assigned by DCHP".

If it does, run the wizard again, see if it finds it. otherwise, if you IP address is in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range, it didn't work.. Maybe I was wrong..

If ur on ADSL Get a DG834G Router (netgear) u can't go wrong
Unread 23 Nov 2005, 23:02   #10
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg9
http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/sc101.asp

It seems to suggest that it has it's own DCHP built in...
Does that not assume that you have a DHCP server running on your network, rather than the SC101 actually having DHCP built in?

In my case it's my main pc which is acting as the DHCP server isn't it?
Unread 23 Nov 2005, 23:23   #11
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

smeg9 is on a distinguished road

I am not sure, that is why I was getting you to try it. I am not sure if ICS will work as a "proper" DCHP client for non-windows devices.

Try out what I said, or try the programs that the others mentioned..

IF that fails get a netgear ADSL/Cable router.
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 02:40   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I'd still recommend trying it out on someone elses network before buying any extra hardware