User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 19 Nov 2005, 18:57   #1
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
windows reboots at startup

Hi all, I recently upgraded my motheroard to an MSI k8n neo2 with an athlon 64 venice 3200 processor, the rest of the specs are maxtor 60gb HDD a 6GB HDD, Radeon 9600 graphics card, RICOH CRDW and powered with a 400W power supply. Now I have disabled SATA and things like that as that was causing a different error on startup, but now the computer gets about as far as the windows startup screen (the one with the scrolly bar at the bottom) before it just reboots the machine. If I try running windows in safe mode, it also restarts, during/after trying to load a347bus.sys
and if I try to boot the computer in SUSE linux, it gets up to
........resuming device /dev/hdb1
Loading reiserfs
waiting for device /dev/hdb2 to appear:.... not found exiting to bin/sh

anyone got any ideas what might be wrong?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 03:25   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: windows reboots at startup

Swapping the motherboard and various other fundamental parts and expecting the OS to carry on working is just not realistic I'm afraid.
It's more than likely that both OSes are missing modules or drivers required to address your new hardware.

Try booting a Linux Live CD (I recommend Ubuntu) and see if it works. If it does then there's nothing wrong with your equipment and you just need to reinstall the OS. With Windows, you might get away with a repair install which keeps the registry and installed programs/users/settings in tact - boot off the XP CD, go to install (do NOT press R to repair, that drops you to the recovery console) select the partition, at some point it will prompt you to overwrite or repair.
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 05:23   #3
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Try what Megla suggested first.

It does seem to mostly be a driver issue. You could try removing a347bus.sys as thats only a virtual driver for alcohol 120%, but from experience the faulting module is usually the one loaded after the last one to be displayed on the loading screen.

If the windows install cd fails to recognise a valid installation of windows and does not give you the option of doing a repair install you can also try making a BartPe boot cd,this is essentialy a cut-down version of xp that can be run directly from cd, and will give you opportunity to access areas necessary to repair your windows install manually.
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 13:53   #4
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

I'd just like to say thanks. I reinstalled windows, since repair did not do the trick, and the computer is now running fine.

Ed

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote