User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 8 Oct 2005, 22:39   #1
Bravestarr
Whiplash

Bravestarr is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow ADSL contention ratios

How exactly do the 50:1 contention ratios work?

I live in a fairly sleepy village, and our telephone exchange has only recently been upgraded for ADSL. Im looking for a cheaply priced deal atm, but was curious how the contention ratios work.

Will the 50:1 be split up this side of our exchange? i.e. 50 people share in the village or will the 50 be split up at the nearest big area-code-determining exchange.

Also, are these ratios ISP dependant, so 50 people on BT share and 50 people on Wanadoo share for eg, or will everybody be intermingled - also by this logic will the 50:1 seperate different speed users, so 50 1mb users share and 50 2mb users share?

Basically what im asking is how do they work

As said, I'm looking atm and wondering if, because im in a small village, contention ratios wont be much of an issue, or, if they are handled on a broader scale and I'll need to have a better look at what I'm buying.

And incase anyone suggests, we can't get any form of cable here. It's ADSL or this godforsaken modem for eternity.

Cheers for your help

Bravestarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 01:18   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: ADSL contention ratios

50:1 ratio means a max 50 users will be sharing a connection, not sure what the term is, I think pipe but whatever.

its ISP independent.

a single pipe can vary in bandwidth i think, but it isn't usually the same size as the total number of users/available bandwidth i.e. 50:1 ratio for 2Mbps users might be a 50Mbps line, if all 50 users are on it, your max bandwidth would suffer...

having said that, I'm on a 50:1 ratio with a 2Mbps service from Onetel, i've never had bandwidth problems no matter what time I use the connection...
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote