User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 10 Dec 2005, 14:16   #1
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Computers, she said

I want to buy a new PC. Not the best there is, but something good, and I have up to £500 to spend.

Any suggestions on where I should buy from and waht I should be looking for?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2005, 14:43   #2
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Computers, she said

You deliberately posted it in GD and then moved it so that people would see the thread existed without breaking any rules.
Didn't you?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2005, 14:44   #3
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Computers, she said

I love it when you talk big.
Unread 10 Dec 2005, 17:55   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

with or without a monitor/tft?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2005, 18:47   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

assuming you want it pre-built, cheap, and arent going to play games (just surf the net etc)

www.meshcomputers.com

they have one at 398 which seems ok.*

* i wouldn't buy it, but assuming your needs are net surfing, word processing etc, it'll do.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 14:48   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

If you can salvage as much as you can...

like case, drives, mouse/kb, monitor

are you capable in building it yourself too?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 16:34   #7
Marilyn Manson
Gone

I would need a new monitor,(My current monitor weighs several tons and looks like something out of a 60's sci-fi programme) I wouldn't be building it myself (No, no, not on your nellie) and I'd want a decent games machine but nothing ridiculously cutting edge.
Unread 11 Dec 2005, 16:57   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I just bought my parents most of a new one for £461.72 including delivery, but excluding a case, dvd drive, keyboard or mouse as they already have that (the rest is so shit it's being thrown out).
I got stuff from Scan as they may be a little more expensive but have good service.

If you want you can reconstruct it from this list (some stuff was on the today only offers page so may be more expensive by about 5% now):

17" LG L1715S LCD monitor
AMD Athlon64 3000 (inc. heatsink and fan)
Asus A8S-X S939 PCI-E motherboard
512MB PC3200 RAM (not the corsair stuff, just "major retail")
256MB Radeon X600Pro (not that great for games but they won't be playing any)
380W Seasonic S12-380 power supply (very good and quiet)
1.44MB Sony floppy drive (theirs is broke)
80GB SATA Seagate Barracuda harddrive

They already have a DVD-rewriter and the other missing bits (case, keyboard, mouse, printer) but it wouldn't cost too much more to add those on.

Things to avoid:

Motherboards without PCI-express (PCI-e) - this is a replacement for both standard PCI and AGP, so you'll need a PCI-e graphics card too. All motherboards with PCI-e also have standard PCI slots too so your old cards can still be used if you have any. However, new cards will begin to make the transition to PCI-e in the near future, so you're limiting your future upgrade options if you don't have it.

If you're going for an AMD Athlon 64 chip, avoid Socket 754. AMD have ended the roadmap for that socket, so again your upgrade options are shot if you get it. Buy a socket 939 board and processor like I have.

Intel chips. This is a purely personal opinion, but at the moment I believe AMD processors give much greater value for money. They also produce less heat, so are quieter as you don't need as big a fan to cool them. This may not be a concern for you, but I thought I'd mention it.

That's about it really.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 11 Dec 2005 at 17:05.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 16:18   #9
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Hmm. I'm looking at http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default...DUCT&KEY=56231 over at Mesh. What do people think? Yea? Ney?

128MB for the graphics card is more or less reasonable for my needs - I'll only be playing stuff like Baldur's Gate and whathaveyou.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 19:48   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That seems reasonable enough.
I've not had any dealings with mesh (or heard of anyone who has), so I can't really give you a "yes they'll be great" or "no their service is crap". The package itself seems good, and the graphics (the only bit that's a bit limited really) should be ok for your needs.
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 23:05   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think they have a fairly reasonable reputation.
Unread 12 Jan 2006, 19:14   #12
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=89079

* Dependable performance
* Simple functions
* Easily expandable
* A price that’s easy on the ears
Ease of usage and good processing power is what eSys ensures that you have with the ePC D315. All the features you need to get your work done have been taken care of and to top up ports and jacks on the front of the computer allow quick connection to peripherals and headphones. The ePC D315 also caters for extra room to upgrade memory, graphics and drives and strikes the right chord for maximising all your options.

Features

* Processor: Intel Celeron D 315 (2.26, 533, 256MB)
* Memory: 256MB DDR expandable to 2GB.
* Disk: 40GB 7200Rpm
* 52 X CD-Rom, additional slots available to add more optical drives.
* LAN 10/100
* ASROCK/ ECS Intel 845GV chipset with built-in 64 MB Intel Extreme graphics
* Audio on board incl. Front Pannel Audio
* 6x USB 4 Rear - 2 front
* PARRAREL Port
* SERIAL Port
* Game MIDI Port
* External bays: 2 x 3.5, 2 x 5.25
* Expansion slots: 2X PCI, 1XAMR
* PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse
* Stereo Speaker Set
* Linux
* Open office
* Software Included
* AntiVirus Software; Audio Player

* Warranty: 1 year RTB 48 hour response time though eSys Global Services.

If you look further down on the page you see the amazing bundle deals! Click on that and its £249.99 (inc VAT) with a tft monitor.
Unread 14 Jan 2006, 11:07   #13
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Did you purchase the computer yet? I reccomend that you wait, save more money, and then buy. The best, simple comp out is the New imac (www.apple.com) You will need about double what you have now. I tried buying a cheap comp when I was in highschool, and I ended up spending more than I wanted because I needed a new one in like a year. Think of a computer as an investment. You should be able to use your computer for at least 2-3 years after you purchase it. So, save 700 more bucks, and buy a decent comp, so u don't have to spend money on another comp for 2-3 years.
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 14:03   #14
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=89079

* Dependable performance
* Simple functions
* Easily expandable
* A price that’s easy on the ears
Ease of usage and good processing power is what eSys ensures that you have with the ePC D315. All the features you need to get your work done have been taken care of and to top up ports and jacks on the front of the computer allow quick connection to peripherals and headphones. The ePC D315 also caters for extra room to upgrade memory, graphics and drives and strikes the right chord for maximising all your options.

Features

* Processor: Intel Celeron D 315 (2.26, 533, 256MB)
* Memory: 256MB DDR expandable to 2GB.
* Disk: 40GB 7200Rpm
* 52 X CD-Rom, additional slots available to add more optical drives.
* LAN 10/100
* ASROCK/ ECS Intel 845GV chipset with built-in 64 MB Intel Extreme graphics
* Audio on board incl. Front Pannel Audio
* 6x USB 4 Rear - 2 front
* PARRAREL Port
* SERIAL Port
* Game MIDI Port
* External bays: 2 x 3.5, 2 x 5.25
* Expansion slots: 2X PCI, 1XAMR
* PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse
* Stereo Speaker Set
* Linux
* Open office
* Software Included
* AntiVirus Software; Audio Player

* Warranty: 1 year RTB 48 hour response time though eSys Global Services.

If you look further down on the page you see the amazing bundle deals! Click on that and its £249.99 (inc VAT) with a tft monitor.
That's a sh*t system. That's why it's £249.99.

64MB on board graphics, only a celeron and only 256MB RAM? To play games?
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 15:51   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
You get what you pay for.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 16:40   #16
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova9

But he has £250 left over to buy more ram and a graphics card
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 19:23   #17
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova9

It will play Baldur's Gate more than happily, I used to run it (a little slowly) with lower onboard graphics, 64mb of Ram and a PII 266. I'm not saying it's a good option necessarily, but if BG is indeed a typical example of the type of game, then it would be 'adequate'
Unread 20 Jan 2006, 18:44   #18
Victuri

I know dell has a bad reputation, but you can pick up a cheap desktop from them, ebuyer is also an extremely great place for deals.