User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 14 Dec 2005, 15:34   #1
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
odd hd situation

Does this make sense to anyone? Have you come across a similar situation?

I built this PC back in June. In July I started getting BSODs, SCSI Kernal Data Inpage Error or something; tech sites were suggesting such things as loose cables or bad connectors on the SATA HD. The crashes got more frequent so I put in an IDE HD too with the intention of salvaging data from the SATA HD before returning it for a replacement.

Strange thing happened though, having an IDE in there too, the errors stopped so I just left it. The OS is on the SATA, so is the swapfile, the IDE was just used as somewhere to dump downloads. It worked fine for months and I forgot all about it until earlier this week when I decided to remove the IDE HD to use in another PC. You guessed it, without an IDE HD in there, the BSODs have returned.

I've now put an ancient 4gb hd in there just to try and stop the crashes. It hasn't been long enough yet to say whether this has worked. I just couldn't help feeling as I did so that this was more of a "superstitious" solution than one based on fact.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2005, 12:44   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: odd hd situation

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=188603

similar weirdness.....check to see if you have the same programs running as i do \o/ (did)
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2005, 14:27   #3
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

interesting

I don't have those programs running though, and all my crashes have been while I was sat in front of and actively using the PC.

Still no crashes with the old HD in there though, it's going to be horrible if it does happen again
Unread 15 Dec 2005, 15:52   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

have you checked for bios updates?

it seems unlikely that putting a load on the ide bus has any effect on the sata one.

have you tried leaving the ide hdd in, but without the power? this may help differentiate between hardware/software problems
Unread 15 Dec 2005, 17:09   #5
1-X
overtired

Yes, I updated the bios (at the time when the fault first occurred, I admit I haven't been back since it happened again this week). It didn't make any difference then, and the changelogs didn't mention this fault either.

I've wondered if it might be a power supply issue that somehow is being helped by having that extra drive plugged in. However, while it's not crashing, I'm not about to go messing with anything
Unread 15 Dec 2005, 18:02   #6
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

could be noise on the psu i guess, but i'm guessing you don't have an osciloscope handy to check with

have you tried running the computer anywhere else in the house? ie, on a different circuit
Unread 15 Dec 2005, 20:30   #7
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Strange as it may sound, Ive been in somewhat similiar situation.

It makes no sense, but it still happen. It may have to do with everything from IRQ settings to god knows. Sometimes these things happen when they should not and when there is no logic behind it.

I suggest you just keep that old IDE there
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Dec 2005, 21:37   #8
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Sometimes these things happen when they should not and when there is no logic behind it.
There always is logic behind it - it is often just too complex to be "obvious".

Most of the times its not worth the effort to really dig deep and find the exact reason and most people dont even bother anymore when they realise it takes more then 10 minutes.

If you want a generic approach without having to do too much yourself, then you can boot a CD with knoppix linux on it in both configurations (with and without IDE HD in this case) and use "dmesg" to see what linux said during bootup. Linux drivers contain a lot of bugfixes for hardware problems (for example misconfigurations) and usually they mention and try to deal with them in the software code during bootup.

Another way would be to use something like SiSoft Sandra or Dr. Hardware but those require windows. You could use Barts PE-Builder for Windows to burn a bootable CD to use those tools in case your windows installation doesnt boot anymore. In case you have a problem booting from CD/DVD in a faulty configuration setup, you could just transfer the boot image to a 512MB USB stick if your BIOS allows to boot from USB sticks.

I have posted links in different threads to diagnosis tools in this forum during the last 2 or 3 weeks, but often even creating a boot-cd or disk to run a diag-tool seems already to be too much of an effort
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2005, 06:42   #9
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

I had this problem, but it was a tad different. I installed an update to a monitoring program I had and everytime I opened a program I didn't use frequently, my comp BSOD. I did not know what the hell was going on. I then deleted a lot of excess programs that I had not used in years, and added an external harddrive as a backup/download harddrive. I didn't have anymore issues. Sometimes on a restart, the external harddrive would not load for some reason. ALmost everytime it didn't my comp would BSOD at some point. I just changed to MAC and have never had an issue since.
Unread 16 Dec 2005, 17:43   #10
1-X
overtired

thanks for all the help... I'll look into any suggestions if/when it happens again