User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 3 Nov 2005, 20:50   #1
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Laptop advice wanted

Every 6 months or so i post a thread on here asking for advice on som kind of electronic gadget, so here i go again.

I want a laptop. I will use it for work (Word, Excel, powerpoint etc) mainly but i'll stick a few games on it. I dont play Doom/quake/UT etc so i probably dont need the best graphics card in the world, i'll probably just have the latest version of champ/football manager on it.

Budget is definitely below £1000, preferably below £750 but if there is some special reason for me to go above this i probably can. Any advice on what to get or what minimum specs to have would be great.

The Sony FS series seems pretty cool. Thoughts?
Unread 3 Nov 2005, 22:49   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Laptop advice wanted

i would recommend the one i ended up getting, Acer aspire 1690wmli
Pentium-M 715
15.4" screen
ATi Mobility Radeon x700 (Pci-express) 64mb
60Gb HD
512Mb DDR2 ram
802.11b/g wireless lan
gigabit ethernet
slotloading dvd writer (SO much better then a laptop tray loading)
4 in 1 card reader

Cost me £700 from dabs, plus it came with a free 3G card when i got it
It can handle the HL2-Lost coast HDR tech demo fairly well at 1280*800@medium detail and no antialiasing , having tested myself.

battery will easily last 3 hours, ive been able to make it stretch to 5-6 before by playing with the power settings.

Closest match to it on dabs : http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3SD6 but it doesnt appear to be the 3g card bundle one i got anymore
Unread 4 Nov 2005, 01:05   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Acer laptops are surprisingly good for the money.
Also for £1000 you should be able to do all of that and then some.
Fs, my ancient Toshiba Satelite (500Mhz Celeron, 128MB ram) runs windows xp and office 2003, and can clock up a battery life of 4 hours if you're just word processing. Granted, FM05 would probably leave it a bit stymmied, but anything you buy now should hack it.

One peice of advice:
For the love of god, do not get anything with less than 512MB of ram.
It's pointless because no matter how fast your processor is, it's useless if it's always waiting for stuff to be swapped off the harddisk. Most basic laptops come with 256MB still, which I think is criminal.
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 14:52   #4
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Thanks for the tips. How does this one look?
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 15:08   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Looks nice.
Decent memory and harddrive, and considering the power the battery life isn't bad either.
Unread 8 Nov 2005, 16:18   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I just picked up this from the Acer lines and it's frankly awesome. Probably excessive for what you want it for but it's as powerful as my desktop and happily runs through the various 3d Mark benchmarks with respectable results if you're wanting games. Battery life's about 3.5 hours, if you're being frugal you can push that to four. And you get the same Voda 3G card for free, too, and all for £940.
Unread 9 Nov 2005, 08:26   #7
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Im amazed people dont buy laptops other desktops these days. I bought my laptop 2 and half years ago for about £800. 2.6ghz, 512mb ram, 50 gb hd, dvd rewriter and a gfx card. You know what its still running like a dream, im definatly a laptop convert. Just being able to sit anywhere with it is worth the money you pay extra and it also keeps you entertained when travelling. I can get my battery life to about 3-4 hours with play with power settings, but I normally take the charger wherever I go.

Finally I would suggest get some insurance. Laptops do tend to break a bit more than home computers, mainly for the wear and tear. You move it around alot, you eat around it etc etc, i have had the motherboard replaced twice (even though I dont think it needed it) because the power cable broke. But it was replaced quickly without much hassle. Still that deal you chose JC looks good.
Unread 9 Nov 2005, 11:52   #8
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The laptop I bought isn't done by Laptops Direct any more, but here's a page with the spec anyway.

I love it.
Unread 10 Nov 2005, 22:40   #9
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I am gonna buy a laptop aswell soon. Really need one at uni, and its so great to take travelling etc.