User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 1 Jan 2006, 21:43   #1
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Motherboard

Short and sweet, what's the list of best mobos for Socket 939?
  • Needs to be PCI-E
  • Number of RAM slots/PCI slots unimportant
  • I'm not looking to be a big overclocker (although I'm getting an Opteron 144)
  • Noise is an issue, I'm trying to keep the system as quiet as possible
  • SLI not really important since im getting this
  • Cost, not really that much of an issue
Thanks in advance.
Unread 1 Jan 2006, 22:12   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Motherboard

Anything by Asus or Abit really. Just make sure it fits your requirements on the CPU support list for the board. If noise is a factor try to get one that has a passively cooled chipset, or if you can't, one where the chipset fan can be removed and replaced with a heatsink without too much bother (Zalman do a very good replacement chipset heatsink).

Is there any particular reason you're going for the horrendously expensive opteron by the way?
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 15:11   #3
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Erm.... if you're not looking for a big OC, just get a 3200+ S939 Venice (E3), it'll be more available and cheaper... and they are no slouch in Ocing either, the Optys are there for those that want to try get 2.8-3GHz

As for motherboard, Abit have a motherboard with heatpipe cooling for the SB.

http://www.cpucityshop.co.uk/product...0bcb25b9535413
http://www.cpucityshop.co.uk/product...0bcb25b9535413
the latter is the best Abit motherboard you can get, but expensive :P
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 15:58   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Forgot to mention, this is the one I just got for my parents new pc. It works fine and, as you can see, has no fans. It won't officially support opteron though. Neither do most other 939 boards, you'll just have to search google to see if they work (s939 opteron <board model>).
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 18:04   #5
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Is there any particular reason you're going for the horrendously expensive opteron by the way?
if this is expensive, whats cheap?
Simply up the FSB and you can get it to FX-57 levels. Also, why wont it work in S939?

The overclocking bit was in reference to the motherboard, it doesnt have to have pages and pages of options in the bios.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 18:37   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

My bad, I'm used to thinking of Opterons as server chips (and therefore expensive). I hadn't realised the low end ones had fallen so much. They will work in (some) socket 939 desktop boards but such boards don't usually list support for them, as the manufacturers would prefer you to shell out for a server board.

Having just looked around on google, it seems that the Opteron 144 is pretty decent even up against a dual core athlon 64 so if you can confirm a desktop board that will run it (no shortages of such posts on various hardware forums etc, so again use google to find them) I'd say go for it. My own quick check suggests that there are various abit and asus boards that people have given the OK for.

Apologies for the initial slipup
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 19:14   #7
Cannon_Fodder

heh np

Atm, theres;
this goes with my lanboy case window, but chipset fan is apparently loud and i think there are boards with more options for the same money.

this SLI is probably a luxury i dont need and its kinda expensive but it has all the tools :/

this the 3rd wheel, haven't heard much about it but apparently overclocks well although its the most expensive one here

I did originally pick the asus a8n-sli deluxe, but the loud chipfan put me off
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 21:33   #8
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

go for the A8N-SLi Premium
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 00:02   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

£116 for an SLI board is cheap, the Asus heatpipes are good boards too.

I have the DFI one, when the chipset fan hits 6000rpm its one annoying bugger... I got a quiet set up so when the heatings on, room gets hot, case gets hot, chipset temp goes up and revs up the fan :|
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote