User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 24 Dec 2005, 14:12   #1
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
Partitioning my hard-drive

What software do I need to do this?
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 14:57   #2
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of
Re: Partitioning my hard-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire_lestat
What software do I need to do this?
Any Operating System you buy should have a partitioning tool included.

If you want a more comfortable and powerful partitioning program then "Partition Magic" from powerquest or "Acronis disk director suite" could be used.

I cant reach the acronis.com site currently, but the german site offers a download version for testing and to buy a download version online (in case you need it now and not in 2006) here http://www.acronis.de/homecomputing/.../diskdirector/

You could also download a linux CD and use those partitioning tools for free.

ps: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing.../diskdirector/ the english version
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 15:06   #3
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

So the linux CD's have the software for partitioning with them?
What I've done is d/led the 64bit version of suse (5 cd's), and I wanted to make a partition to put it on. I've got no experience doing this kind of thing, so any advice would be appreciated.
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 15:11   #4
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

I dont know anything of real use for partitioning but I can give some obvious advice and say BACKUP everything of importance to CD

Also if you have some spare cash, maybe its worth looking into buying an external harddrive? Or even a second internal one.
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 15:13   #5
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

Since I'm doing this on a laptop, a second internal HD isn't possible, and I don't have spare cash, hence partitioning the one i've already got.
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 16:47   #6
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

i know linux has fdisk for setting up partions

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 16:51   #7
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

fdisk is a windows thing too but theres tons of programs you can use.
qparted is a decent linux one also. or partition magic for windows
just do a google search, you'll come up with hundreds - some better then others
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 16:52   #8
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

or, if you dont want to partition your hd for linux, run it in a virtual machine - in something like vmware.
laptops and linux dont usually mix 100% though. acpi, wireless, graphics ( if ati chipset ) can be nasty to set up
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 16:55   #9
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

Ok, I should explain that I'm a complete noob and don't have a clue what I want in a bit of software (other than something that is easy to use) or even why I have to set up a partition to dual boot, hence asking here. Do any of you know of a nice, clear step by step guide to this kind of thing or anything?
Unread 24 Dec 2005, 19:08   #10
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

If you have a hard disk with an existing system installed on it and you want to keep it, you likely need to resize the existing partition(s) first to make some space on your hard disk. For Linux a software called FIPS does that, but it isnt foolproof. For Windows the software i mentioned in my first posting both do that with an easy to use graphical user interface.

If you have partitions installed on your hard disk but dont need them anymore, you need to erase them first before repartitioning for/with linux. You can do that from within the SUSE tools through the manual setup.

If you have enough free disk space to just add the SUSE installation or the hard disk doesnt contain any partitions yet, you can use the automatic installation from SUSE. Those automatic installations usually have one major problem - they assume they can use the hard disk fully for themselves. So if you afterwards want to install another system on the same hard disk, you need to resize and possibly move existing partitions.

If you want to have both windows and linux easily selectable on your laptop, install windows first and then install linux. The default installation of SUSE will create a bootmenu via GRUB in the MBR and you can conveniently select your OS during booting.

Most importantly - if you have any data on your hard disk you dont want to lose during installation - back it up in advance.

The suse documentation with a setup howto is here: http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse10/
Setup->Installation with YaST->1.8 Installation settings

Last edited by Ramihyn; 24 Dec 2005 at 19:16.
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 00:05   #11
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

Does the free trial version of the software you reccomended actually allow me to do anything though?

[EDIT]It would appear that, upon trying, the free version doesn't actually do anything, so whilst it is very pretty and easy to use, it doesn't really help me much as I don't want to spend $60 on the damn thing[/EDIT]

Last edited by vampire_lestat; 25 Dec 2005 at 00:56.
vampire_lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 03:04   #12
Ramihyn
Emperor

Just follow the SUSE installation manual if you want to do it without spending money.
Unread 1 Jan 2006, 17:22   #13
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

Ok, so I tried to follow the suse install guide, but it seems to get an error when trying to srink the windows partition down to 45gig, dispite the fact that its only using 35gig, why would this happen? (I think the error was error code 3045)
Unread 1 Jan 2006, 19:49   #14
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
Ok, so I tried to follow the suse install guide, but it seems to get an error when trying to srink the windows partition down to 45gig, dispite the fact that its only using 35gig, why would this happen? (I think the error was error code 3045)
From section 1.8 of the manual:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSE 10 Manual
To shrink the Windows partition, interrupt the installation and boot Windows to prepare the partition from there. Although this step is not strictly required for FAT partitions, it speeds up the resizing process and also makes it safer. These steps are vital for NTFS partitions.
Quote:
NTFS File System

In Windows, run scandisk and defrag to move the files to the beginning of the hard disk. In contrast to the FAT file system, you must perform these steps. Otherwise the NTFS partition cannot be resized.
Quote:
IMPORTANT: Disabling the Windows Swap File

If you operate your system with a permanent swap file on an NTFS file system, this file may be located at the end of the hard disk and remain there despite defrag. Therefore, it may be impossible to shrink the partition sufficiently. In this case, temporarily deactivate the swap file (the virtual memory in Windows). After the partition has been resized, reconfigure the virtual memory.
Yast is likely using FIPS (code) to resize the partition. FIPS never fully supported NTFS just like other linux drivers or tools never did.
Unread 1 Jan 2006, 23:54   #15
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Use ubuntu rather than Suse. It's meant to be very good with laptops (compared with other 'flavours') and was very simple to set up on my desktop.
The partitioning bit of the install process should be more than enough.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 00:38   #16
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

I may make the move over to ubuntu later, the main reason for choosing suse is that i've played with it before and that someone on my floor has used it, so when things inevitably go wrong they can help me out.
Whilst I'm asking questions, which is better, KDE or Gnome?

Last edited by vampire_lestat; 2 Jan 2006 at 01:19.
vampire_lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 03:03   #17
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
Use ubuntu rather than Suse. It's meant to be very good with laptops (compared with other 'flavours') and was very simple to set up on my desktop.
The partitioning bit of the install process should be more than enough.
Any change between different linux distros because of this problem would be totally pointless because none of them develops their own filesystem tools and the problem here is the NTFS filesystem support from FIPS and other linux soft. It has nothing to do with the partitioning itself.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 03:08   #18
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
Whilst I'm asking questions, which is better, KDE or Gnome?
Thats a religious question

In the past it has been true that KDE needed more resources (cpu/memory) then Gnome, so if your computer has trouble running KDE it may run Gnome fine.

IMHO KDE is the mainstream way now since more distros use it as default desktop.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 21:36   #19
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

ok, since it is now apparent I need to do the partitioning in windows, how do I do that (I hear that it can be done as standard in XP, but as I have repeatedly said, I have no real clue what I'm doing.)
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:34   #20
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
ok, since it is now apparent I need to do the partitioning in windows, how do I do that (I hear that it can be done as standard in XP, but as I have repeatedly said, I have no real clue what I'm doing.)
If your problem is the resizing of the windows XP partition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramihyn
If you want a more comfortable and powerful partitioning program then "Partition Magic" from powerquest or "Acronis disk director suite" could be used.
Both should solve your resizing problem so you can proceed with the partitioning using the Suse tools.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 00:07   #21
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

and both have the unfortunate problem of costing money :s.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 01:43   #22
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
and both have the unfortunate problem of costing money :s.
I know

It is likely something you can only avoid with luck, criminal energy or quite some time spend. The best free resizer is FIPS but thats the one the linux installations use, you may be lucky to find an older version of some resizing tool for cheap money on a magazine CD (happens from time to time in germany) but older versions might have problems resizing current NTFS partitions (depends on the software installed on your partition) so you may even risk your data.

Time consuming "free" methods would be backing up your data and re-installing your WindowsXP into a smaller partition. As an alternative you may be able to do an image backup (acronis trueimage, powerquest driveimage) and restore it into a smaller partition but that once again would lead to the same problems (nonfree software, older versions possibly having problems with current NTFS partitions, spending a lot time to do it and risking your data).

Oh and if you are lucky, you could just try the swap-disable trick mentioned in the Suse manual and have FIPS shrink the partition further.

Apart from that there are some dirty tricks to go around the partition resizing or re-installation but as you are not that experienced in partitioning, i dont even want to mention them
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 01:02   #23
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

So since this is obviously a dead end, I have decided to lose windows entirely, so its time for another question:
If I use WINE (or similar program, please tell me what program) can I play all my windows games on a linux distro?
Unread 4 Jan 2006, 10:25   #24
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
So since this is obviously a dead end, I have decided to lose windows entirely, so its time for another question:
If I use WINE (or similar program, please tell me what program) can I play all my windows games on a linux distro?
No matter which of the different windows (game) emulations you use, you wont be able to run _all_ windows games.

Cedega/WineX seem to be the major windows game compatibility suites - http://www.transgaming.com/ and check http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

I would always keep a windows installation for gaming and for viewing some types of media.