User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 6 Dec 2005, 23:58   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Wireless Networking - (office style)

Im curious as to why so many people claim that wireless networking is a daunting task. I realise it is immensly irritating at times with its refusal to work for no apparent reason but for a home system its fundamentally fairly straight forward...

Can someone explain the 'omg dont make me setup a big network' syndrome to me so i understand why everyone seems to hate the thought of having to setup and then administer a large wireless network of computers?

I realise VPN's etc are 'more complex' to get up and runnign but just the fundamentals would be nice....

ta very much dudes.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 00:20   #2
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts
Re: Wireless Networking - (office style)

Secure Wireless network in a few easy steps:

1) plug modem into router, plug both into power

2) Connect to router via UTP cable and set WPA (128/256) up with a pre-shared key

3) Set this key on other wireless enabled computers in the area to use this network

4) There is no 4, you're done.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 12:00   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i know.....
the question isnt about 'how do i do it' because i know. last night i flashed the firmware on my router and voip phone then converted our entire network to a 50 digit PSK (60 wouldnt fit on the phone for some reason) TKIP system.

Its not particularly difficult but why is 'big networking' tricky.

thats the question.
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 15:55   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Because if you have to do a large office, you have to get multiple APs cabled onto a backbone wired network, all working together - which means sorting out all the channels so that there is overlap and yet they don't interfere, and numerous other things which I'm not afraid to admit I don't really understand.
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 17:47   #5
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

He means setting up the APs so their channels are as far apart as possible (2 APs should use 1 and 12 or similar highly spread numbers) and making sure there are no blind spots. The latter is supposedly difficult

In addition, only 1 device may be a DHCP server and APs tend to all sit on the same IP, so you'll have to connect to each AP seperately before wiring them all up to ensure that they all use a different IP. Once that's done you can walk about and transparently switch between APs.

Do take note that using APs from more then 1 type might generate problems, just don't do that and you'll be fine

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2005, 03:28   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If there's one thing I've leant from my (painful) experience with wireless tech so far, it's that getting equipment from the same vendor to work properly can be enough trouble, so for the love of god don't mix and match - it only complicates things.

This is why I have yet to get any wireless network of my own - the technology is still too unreliable so far as I'm concerned.
Unread 8 Dec 2005, 10:53   #7
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I do not feel that is any longer the case, wireless networking has come a long way. Sure there was a period the technology was very unstable, but i've found if keeping with the same brand of equipment your problems will be minimal. You also just have to remember that it follows a few simple rules of physics, and if you play by the rules you wont have problems.

I feel that wireless technology has matured enough and been field tested enough to earn a practicle place in the big business of large scale networks, it is the way forward.

Besides, if you think setting up corporate wireless networks is fun, just wait till you start building infrastructure for long distance communications. I was involved in a project to network my entire town wirelessly. Just try dealing with footprints over 15Km wide or more and trying to keep the whole thing stable.
Unread 8 Dec 2005, 11:37   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

Thats what i thought.

In my experience of wireless the trouble is usually caused by driver problems for one of the cards or interference from someone elses AP. As long as you know how to overcome those problems everything else falls into place. Ive had problems mixing hardware before but as long as everything is kept the same then it usually all works.

Im about to buy another AP for our home network so that it can reach the sitting room downstairs which is on the opposite side of the house. Ordinarily i shouldnt need 2 APs in a house but seemingly our walls contain lead and the signal is too weak.

It was more the 'huge huge' networks i was interested in. Surely this technology has come so far now that the 'omg omg i dont know why it wont work' problems of yesteryear have been mostly fixed and with WPA etc security is no longer a huge issue.
Unread 8 Dec 2005, 12:58   #9
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

The signal largely comes down to antenna type, the piddly little ones that come standard with most ap's wont make it through less wifi friendly environments. Also you must remember that the type of antenna on these ap's is of the omni variety, and they generally have a poor radiation pattern both directly above and below the antenna, so signals going below and above the ap will always be poor compared to those located at the same height as the ap. I think this is probably where people go astray, and why I mention physics, because the waves do not travel in every direction at once and all of the same intensity.

I've done up some very basic diagrams of antenna radiation patterns, the radiation is indicated in pink.

A typical omni style antenna, as is found on most AP's and network cards, 10dbi

A typical omni style antenna, as is found on most AP's and network cards, 20dbi

A typical directional (eg: yagi, dish, panel) style antenna 10dbi

A typical directional (eg: yagi, dish, panel) style antenna 20dbi

The actual radiation patterns are more complex than this, but it's only meant to be a rough idea. You'll notice that at stronger amplifications, the signal spreads further allowing greater distance, but you don't get as much general coverage, anything outside that area will be purely hit & miss as far as signal quality goes.
Unread 8 Dec 2005, 13:27   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

what irritates me is that i can pick up neighbours signals from my room but my brother who is on the same level as me gets a signal but it isnt exactly 'ace'.

Below the AP the signal is full strength oddly.
What im not too sure about is why the office computer which is across the landing from me gets poor reception. Its at same height and not too far away. Its most odd. However im going to be placing another AP in the office so that the other half of the house is covered properly and we dont have any dead zones. It seems like everything below the current AP for about half the house gets full 54mg connection speed but everything else is somewhat 1-2 if that