User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 5 Sep 2005, 19:19   #1
chetney_chow

chetney_chow is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Sitecom WL143 Wireless Router Telewest Internet Connection Problem

I Have seen similar questions in this forum but I found the answers pretty much useless to me.

I recently purchased a Sitecom WL143, wireless network router. The wireless network bit works fine, I can see the other computers within my LAN. (1 wired, 1 wireless)

Cannot connect to the internet however. I am a telewest customer. removing the router, internet works fine.

DHCP is switched on both WinXP SP2 and the router 192.168.1.1 configuration pages.

These are my details from the router configuration pages:
Internet Status

Hardware Address 00-02-a8-42-fc-0a
IP Address 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0
Gateway 0.0.0.0
Connect Mode Dynamic IP Address
Connect Status CONNECTING
IP Address 192.168.1.1
. . .
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
. . .
DHCP Server
Enabled
DHCP Address 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200

Registering the MAC address is no longer needed by telewest.

is : 192.168.1.100 for the first machine connected to the router.

The problem is doing my head right in. Please help! before I go crazy.
chetney_chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2005, 19:25   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Sitecom WL143 Wireless Router Telewest Internet Connection Problem

Remind me:
Is Telewest cable or ADSL?
Unread 5 Sep 2005, 19:29   #3
chetney_chow

Cable i think. i have a modem thingy, much like my old bt voyager adsl modem except it has a thick cable and a LAN style connector for pc hookup. no dialup, just plug in and go (until you plug a sitecom wl143 wireless router)

Carl.
Unread 5 Sep 2005, 20:37   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is the modem set up to connect on demand? Does it have DCHP capability itself, and is it turned off (since you're using the router's)?
Unread 5 Sep 2005, 22:38   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

set the router to get its IP information from the modem?
Or, you could set it manually, setting the gateway IP to that of the modem.
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 05:16   #6
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes it pays to check the manufacturers site:

http://www.sitecom.com/faq_showanswer.php?faqid=999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitecom FAQ
Q: I have Telewest/NTL Internet connected to my router and can no longer get Internet access, but it works fine when I connect my modem/set top box directly to the computer?

A: Make sure there is no USB connection going from the NTL/Telewest modem into any of your PC's. Run the Setup Wizard within the routers web based configuration pages and configure it for your NTL/Telewest account. Switch off the NTL/Telewest set top box/modem and leave it switched off for a minute. Close down your web browser then then open up a new web browser.Internet Access should then be available.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 09:58   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

alternatively :

although telewest have said 'no mac address registering' anymore I cannot just simply connect the laptop to the modem and connect straight away.

I suggest you clone the MAC address of the NIC registerered with blueyonder within the router itself and see if that solves your problem
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 13:55   #8
chetney_chow

Dont know how to connect directly to the modem and change settings.

Switched off DHCP on router, rebooted, shut off modem etc.. rebooted back up, modem on, 192.168.1.1 cannot be reached any longer! Arrrgghhh. cannot access router configuration pages. Performed an IPCONFIG, my ip changed from 192.168.1.100 to 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ? Cannot ping anything accept 169.xxx.xxx or visit web pages any longer (doing this from works PC).

How do I get the configuration pages back up? THe instructions left by sitecom (that was the first thing i done, was to go through their FAQ, I have even contacted them by their contact information but no one has replied yet) and their telephone is constantly plugged into a answer-machine, nice one sitecom NOT.

Sigh.
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 15:44   #9
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

the factory reset button on the router is your friend if things get screwed up beynd belief
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 19:01   #10
chetney_chow

yeah, got that reset working.

After a bit more investigation of differences between gateways etc.. on the ipconfig command when directly plugged into the telewest modem versus through the sitecom router and then the internet:

when plugged directly in:
ip: 82.37.xxx.215
subnet: 255.255.248.0
default gateway: 82.37.224.1

yet when plugged through the router :
subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

i haved changed the subnet mask of the configuration page of my router to go to 255.255.248.0 but that didn't work, but perhaps this information will help you assist me?

I REALLY appreciate the help peeps.
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 19:55   #11
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i still think its a case of cloning the registered mac address.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 20:32   #12
chetney_chow

done that, didnt work. however, i found the ip address of my modem:

visiting the configuration page of the modem (WebSTAR DPX100) on 192.168.100
everything seemed fine.

plug in router, power down modem, power up after 1 minute, try and ping modem, desintation cannot be reached.

i noticed that the router dhcp was set to 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200 - which conflicts with the modem - great i thought, i'll change the router dhcp range to 192.168.1.200 to 192.168.1.300, bypassing the conflicting 192.168.1.100 modem address. still no luck.

i think there is a confliction between the modem and router but just cannot figure it out.
Unread 6 Sep 2005, 21:55   #13
Phil^
Insomniac

set the router dchp range to 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.200 and see if that helps.
generally routers dont like bridging two connections on the same ip subnet
this way they'll have two different class-c subnets

in theory, you should have an internal lap ip , between computers and the routers between 192.168.0.100 - 200 , and the router will have an IP assigned to it by the modem, assuming you havent got the router set up to have a specific ip ( which would probably be better )

So you've in effect got a daisy-chain between computer, to router, to modem, to internet

though having two dhcp servers might cause issues. is there any way to disable the one on the modem?

Last edited by Phil^; 6 Sep 2005 at 22:03.
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 11:42   #14
chetney_chow

I cannot change the settings on the modem, the configuration pages are info only.

Here is some more info:
CABLE MODEM
IP config page: 192.168.100.1
CABLE MODEM IP: 10.236.253.60
Page also shows my ethernet MAC address and true IP address.

Doing a IPCONFIG product a subnet mask of 255.255.248.0

On the Router configuration pages:
IP is 192.168.1.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
DHCP Enabled
DHCP ddress 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200

WHen i connect the router and the modem, pinging the cable modem 192.168.1.100 fails (modem direct into pc produces a reply), pinging 10.236.253.60 replies with 192.168.1.1 unreachable.

I will try the DHCP settings you advised earlier too but if the above information makes it easier, please reply with any new suggestion.

Ta very much m8y.
Unread 2 Oct 2005, 19:54   #15
snotrag

snotrag is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also using the same setup - telewest broadband with a scientific atlanta cable modem, and have jsut bought a sitecome wl-143...

Im not too hot on what all that ^ means, I understand some though!

Again, i can connect fine wihout the router, jsut plug the ethernet in and away it goes...

If anyone can give me any more guidance as to what to try it would be much appreciated...
snotrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2005, 22:40   #16
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Try disabling any firewalls you have up and see if anyone has a spare router which you can try to test with. Are you not able to send the router back btw?

Scroll here until you see someone's called reply - called "computer" in bold - he has some advice which might help.

Well I'd like to take this opportunity to say that I was experiencing so many bloody problems with my BT router (as seen in a previous topic here) that I went out and bought a Linksys WRT54G router (yes, this is a cable router which is why I also bought a D-Link ADSL modem with ethernet port - waste of money only by £10 though compared to the other router by Linksys I wanted with modem inside) and all my problems have disappeared - literally despite Linksys not accepting PPPoA I'm using the automatic DHCP configuration and it works like a doddle - when it doesn't I just select the Telstra Cable option and it'll work then too
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2005, 20:19   #17
snotrag

snotrag is an unknown quantity at this point

tried the method in that thread to no avail. Gonna hope the shop will take it back.

So, anyone recommend a good 4port / 11g wireless router that does not have an adsl modem built in? Just the RJ45 in from my telewest modem?

Thanks.
snotrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2005, 20:22   #18
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Yeah, the Linksys WRT54G I suggested above - which I am now selling as it turns out it wasn't built for ADSL rather Cable/DSL
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote