User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Dec 2004, 02:24   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
Teach me about html input to a server side script please.

I had a brief look at the pages on w3schools, but got bored after a while.
I'm looking for information on general server side scripting.

So i'm going to have a script like: (yesiama.script)

Code:
if cgidata.david = "inept" 
	destroyuniverse()
And a html file like: (www.thesecondcoming.org/yesiama.script)

Code:
<blar pass all the onclick data to a script called yesiama.script>

<p id="david" onclick="the value david equals inept,
			now reload the page to create a dynamically created page">
I am the one and only.
</p>

So I am basically wondering...

1) does the server side scripting engine automatically know to pass the value david="inept" to the yesiama.script script, via the cgidata bundle, so the script can run destroyuniverse() and thus recreate the page? Or do you have to tell the html file other shit?

2) what is the normal syntax for
a- "<blar pass all the onclick data to a script called yesiama.script>"
b- onclick="the value david equals inept, now reload the page to create a dynamically created page">

Thanks!
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2004, 03:18   #2
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Re: Teach me about html input to a server side script please.

First things first: what server-side language are you using?
Unread 21 Dec 2004, 18:28   #3
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonara
First things first: what server-side language are you using?
php, perl anything.
I'm assumed all the server side scripting languages would work pretty much the same, with the exceptions of some things of course.
Unread 21 Dec 2004, 18:46   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
I'm assumed all the server side scripting languages would work pretty much the same
Wrong!

You'd better choose one first.
I'd suggest PHP as it has several important things integrated which perl doesn't, at the sacrafice of choice of course. Most noteworthy of these are pre-parsed POST/GET arrays and inbuilt MySQL support/commands.

I'll probably get shouted down for this shortly though.
Unread 21 Dec 2004, 18:52   #5
Weeks
Banned

Bollocks. I'd look up examples on the internet but I want to use CGI:LUA.

BASTARDS.
Unread 21 Dec 2004, 18:54   #6
Weeks
Banned

Could you just give me a brief example with PHP megla?
Unread 21 Dec 2004, 19:14   #7
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Wrong!

You'd better choose one first.
I'd suggest PHP as it has several important things integrated which perl doesn't, at the sacrafice of choice of course. Most noteworthy of these are pre-parsed POST/GET arrays and inbuilt MySQL support/commands.

I'll probably get shouted down for this shortly though.

Weeks, you can always do <a href="?david=inept">clicky</a>.

Or if you want to vary it a bit:
Code:
<form id="ineptitude" method="get" action="">
<input type="hidden" name="david" value="inept">
</form>

<p onclick="document.getElementById('ineptitude').submit();">
clicky
</p>
The browser then requests yesiama.script?david=inept and your script can sense this using cgi.david / param('david') / $_REQUEST['david'].
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2004, 19:21   #8
Weeks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball

Weeks, you can always do <a href="?david=inept">clicky</a>.

Or if you want to vary it a bit:
Code:
<form id="ineptitude" method="get" action="">
<input type="hidden" name="david" value="inept">
</form>

<p onclick="document.getElementById('ineptitude').submit();">
clicky
</p>
The browser then requests yesiama.script?david=inept and your script can sense this using cgi.david / param('david') / $_REQUEST['david'].
Thankyou queball!
Unread 21 Dec 2004, 20:31   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A simple take on what you were suggesting:

HTML
Code:
<form id="ineptitude" method="get" action="yourscript.php">
<label for="inept">Are you inept?</label><input type="checkbox" name="inept" id="inept" />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Send" />
</form>
PHP
Code:
<?php
if ($_GET['inept']) {
   destroyUniverse();
}
?>
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 12:07   #10
morrowyn

morrowyn is an unknown quantity at this point

just grab the http request variables (get or post) in your script lang, eg. php uses $_GET and $_POST
morrowyn is offline   Reply With Quote