User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Aug 2004, 09:15   #1
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place
doing a presentaion: hints and tips please

you may or may not remember that i mentioned being asked to apply for a job
have to go through the formal interview lark (equal rights and such)
part of the interview is doing a presentation
have never really done one before

to anyone who has sat through really good or bad ones

hints and tips please
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 09:22   #2
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: doing a presentaion: hints and tips please

don't stare at the pictures projected on the wall, look at the audience, though don't stare at the attractive people. use a pointer, but don't fiddle with it. if your hands are shaky, don't use a laser pointer, use a stick or something like that. practise it lots on willing victims i.e. friends. If you use powerpoint or somesuch, keep a couple of points to each slide and don't bother with pointless flashy graphics i.e. whizzing things round the screen. Don't read word for word from the slides. If you have any coloured text, make sure it is readable in the first place, and a logical, meaningful colour scheme. smile, and enjoy it, and thank people for their attention at the end.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 09:37   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I've done quite a few presentations at school, receiving actual training in technique. I have little experience with an audience I didn't know personally, but these are the things I learned.

Firstly, don't try to be someone else...
I'm a boring guy, with a boring presentation voice. I should never attempt humour in a presentation because it will fail miserably. Any attempt of me to liven up my personality just end up embarassing myself.

Stick to the subject...
Don't start talking about irrelevant things. People have a hard time focussing on the main points of the presentation already.

Stick to the main points... and know your audience...
I ran into this problem during my graduation. I made this peer-to-peer framework in half a year time, and there was soooo much to tell. About the protocol, about the structure, about specific problems. I could have talked three days in a row about it. But i had to put it in 30 minutes.
Any attempts to tell a big story in a few minutes will have you make choices about what to include and what not.
So, stick to main points. People are not interested in details because they have too much other things to think about already.

In order to know what main points are you need to know your audience. Is is a group of managers? Managers are not interested in technical details (to take myself as example again). They want to know how long it will take, how much it costs, and what the risk is.
Technical people don't care about all that, they want to see what the technology is behind the whole thing.
And outsiders want to see working stuff that appeals to their eyes.

One tip I got during my graduation (after my presentation) is to write down your main points on one powerpoint sheet, in 7 or 8 or 9 or so points. If you manage to get a solid story in those points, mentioning the main facts, then you can make a solid presentation.

Time...
DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE TIME. If you're allowed to talk 15 minutes, aim your presentation to be 10 minutes. If you are using powerpoint, I found that an estimate of 1-to-1.5 minutes/sheet is realistic... and then you are rambling already

Talk loud... Don't talk too fast...
I don't know if you have a firm voice, but it is important to talk clear, and loud. If you have a microphone, practise with it. Be prepared for unexpected technical problems, like the microphone beginning to "whistle". Know when such a problem can occur, and know what to do at such a moment.
Also mind the speed with which you talk. When people give presentations, they tend to get nervous, and nervous people tend to speak awfully fast.
Practise in the mirror or something, or before your boyfriend or family. Even if he has no interest in the subject, he can give feedback about your technique.

And be prepared for questions... if that applies to your subject that is.

Let's see... did I forget something?
Well, one thing that crosses my mind, if you use powerpoint, don't use animations or sound (with the exception of page transitions PERHAPS). It may look cool to you, but it is ANNOYING like hell.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 09:41   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
don't stare at the pictures projected on the wall, look at the audience, though don't stare at the attractive people. use a pointer, but don't fiddle with it. if your hands are shaky, don't use a laser pointer, use a stick or something like that. practise it lots on willing victims i.e. friends. If you use powerpoint or somesuch, keep a couple of points to each slide and don't bother with pointless flashy graphics i.e. whizzing things round the screen. Don't read word for word from the slides. If you have any coloured text, make sure it is readable in the first place, and a logical, meaningful colour scheme. smile, and enjoy it, and thank people for their attention at the end.
yes, all good points...
Especially the look at your audience thing. I forgot that. Don't read out your sheets. Tell a story about the points on your sheets. Use single words or short phrases on your sheets. NEVER PUT SENTENCES ON SHEETS.
And your powerpoint style depends on your audience. A technical audience doesn't want fancy graphics, while an audience of outsiders wants to be entertained with your sheets. But the best is to beep it business-like. Short, to the point, not too much bells and whistles.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 09:43   #5
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

SI's list is pretty spot on.

Just make sure you look great and have a good watch and shoes on (when you shake someones hand the first place they look is down).

Try to move around and be confident about what you say.

if anyone asks you a quesion you cannot answer don't fudge, say you will get back to them after the presentation and if someone wants to debate something for to long ask them t talk to you after the presentation rather than allowing them to drag it out.

Whatever you present remember you have to sell it to them - very few presentations are for information only you are either selling an idea or a product invariably.
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 09:46   #6
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
yes, all good points...
Especially the look at your audience thing. I forgot that. Don't read out your sheets. Tell a story about the points on your sheets. Use single words or short phrases on your sheets. NEVER PUT SENTENCES ON SHEETS.
And your powerpoint style depends on your audience. A technical audience doesn't want fancy graphics, while an audience of outsiders wants to be entertained with your sheets. But the best is to beep it business-like. Short, to the point, not too much bells and whistles.
Thats the other point - DON'T USE SHEETS!!!

Use postcard sized pieces of paper with notes on if you need memory joggers.

Also try and do the presentation 3 or 4 times before the actual presentation to the people you are presenting too - that way you can iron out any perfomance difficulties and ensure your presentaton time isn't longer than you anticipate.

Know your props and the oder they come in - you will live and die by your slides make sure you know there order.
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 10:02   #7
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

having worked for a conference center and seen some truley abysmal performances, a few things:
  • what should you be wearing? (hush dace)
  • do you know where to presentation is ahead of time? if you're nervous, going and taking a look isn't the worst idea in the world
  • if you're using powerpoint check it's a compatible version - for gods sake avoid macs - and make sure all the fonts you've used are on the presentation machine
  • whoever mentioned not using animations, transitions and sounds was on to a winner. they look crap and distract people. personally, i dislike that thingy where subsequent points appear as you click, but some seem to. guess it's personal preference
  • use a decent colour scheme. if you're using light colours you'll need to put the lights down low so people can read them. people then can't take notes and may fall asleep
  • turn up in good time for the presentation. getting loaded etc etc beforehand means things won't go wrong and you'll be calmer
  • take a watch
  • project. if there's a microphone in a small room, ignore it. anyone can talk to a sub 100 room without one, most can manage 200 easilly, and if you're loud 500 won't be a problem. microphones can do all kinds of silly things
  • make eye contact. not only does it make it easier to engage the audiance, but it also makes it easier to read them. generally, people will be looking at the slides as much as you, if they're just looking at one or the other, odds are they're bored, or your skirt's too short

oh, and the most important point. smile. have fun. 'tis a great power trip

-mist
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 10:06   #8
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

the most important thing is that you know what you are talking about and know how you wanna say it .. rest comes naturally
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 13:35   #9
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Practise before hand (so you get your timing right).

You should take about a minute per page.

If you are doing a 15 minute presentation dont like structural suggested aim to make it 10 (because you fear you will run out of time) aim to make it 15. It's a bastard if you run out of material before you run out of time (10% time variation is ok anyways). If you are running out of time you can always skip some stuff (or talk more briefly about it). Try and have an idea of what you can drop if it comes to it.

Basically preperation is key.

I don't know how many people you're talking to but if it's lowish numbers what id do is print off a copy of the overheads for each person (with a few spare) so the people can take notes.

The notes they take would be what you would actually be talking about.

The points on the OHPs are just memory joggers (ie a few brief words etc) ... the real detail (explanation anyways) comes from what you say.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 13:48   #10
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough

Make sure you have the following in your presentation.

1) A Beginning/Introduction
2) Build on your introduction with the facts
3) Summarise your presentation

Its always a good idea to introduce yourself whether you no your audience or not. Also decide when you want to answer questions and tell your audience. Most people ask for questions at the end.

Practice your presentation. Particularly the timings.

Dont do too many slides death by powerpoint is soooooooo painful.
As someone said above, dont make your slides too wizzy.
Dress smartly and smile.

Remember the acronym K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple Stupid

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Little Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 13:49   #11
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

The main thing I've found that matters is confidence.

You mightn't have a clue what your on about. You might hate the subject. You might find it the most tedious thing in the world, but as long as you decide to relax, take charge and above all calmly go through your presentation, then everthing will be fine.

With an interview thats what they are looking for. The main points they want are confidence (so you can manage people and situations with authorithy), clarity and ability to get your point across.
The latter two can only be achieved if you own the room.

What I do is just say "**** it, I don't care about this" and detatch myself from the situation. I find this works for me in interviews, presentations, exams etc.

Ever notice when you don't really care about something, there is much less pressure? Ever notice that you can always chat up the ugly or unattractive girls(or boys, whichever way you swing) but never the hot ones? That's only a confidence thing. And I find that when I dont care, I can then take charge.

The technical points have all been addressed above so I wont go into those.

Good luck, and if all else fails wear a tight top.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 15:32   #12
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
The main thing I've found that matters is confidence.
Ditto.

Reeling off a load of facts you've learnt before and know word for word will just bore people.

I find it easier to just skim over what you need to know, and keep those as notes. Then work them in, speaking naturally and being clear.

Be yourself, don't be a tape recorder. Engage the audience.
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 15:36   #13
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Engage the audience.

Phasers on full?
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 15:50   #14
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Phasers on full?
Dont-mock-me-I-take-the-interne-and-myselft-very-seriously
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 17:28   #15
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Its a pity you don't take spelling seriously
Unread 4 Aug 2004, 17:41   #16
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Since its you hon, wearing something really tight fitting, but not too tarty, will score you a massive amount of bonus points with the interviewers if theyre male (and maybe even with the females if theyre lesbian). Remember, women are entitled to abuse their sexual positions without fear of lawsuits, so get going!
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2004, 00:10   #17
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Don't wear a duck on your head, because only one person will get it and you can bet they won't say anything.
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 14:20   #18
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

i have to do 10 minutes on my top three skills and how they will help improve performance in the sexual health department

oh how tempting to be rude
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 14:26   #19
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

1) Masturbation is an excellent diagnostic tool.
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 14:39   #20
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Pffh I don't like you any more since you deleted my greatest ever post.
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 14:49   #21
madi
a little bit broken

Quote:
Pffh I don't like you any more since you deleted my greatest ever post.
?
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 15:14   #22
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=179329

posts 13-15
furball is offline   Reply With Quote