User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:02   #1
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Green house effect and Boyle´s law

Doesn´t one nullify the other when you have something like an atmosphere wich is in effect an open container of gas?
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:05   #2
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Re: Green house effect and Boyle´s law

It's sufficiently "not open" - in terms of particles escaping per unit particles accelerating - for there to be a problem, one presumes.

The fact that the atmosphere has any kind of major dynamics is good evidence for that.

[edit]

I think gravity might have something to do with it too. Presumably, pressure will vary with fluctuations in the gravitational field of the Earth, which we might consider to be a kind of volume limiter.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:06   #3
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

Add gravity to your equation and everything will go wrong.

The atmosphere is held in place by earth's gravity or else life would be impossible. The gases can't just fly away, they are enclosed by gravity.

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:11   #4
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Yes but if the temperature rises so does their volume, and thus their mass drops.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:12   #5
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Okay that sounded pretty stupid but I can´t find the term I need in Enlish dammit
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:15   #6
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
Yes but if the temperature rises so does their volume, and thus their mass drops.
Three out of three variables changing at the same time?

Put it this way - within limits, I can make gas in a bottle more energetic without allowing its volume to increase.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 13:54   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I think you mean their density. If their temperature rises, their mass actually increases (by a negligable amount).

Look at it in terms of individual particles, escape velocity, and the Boltzmann distribution.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 14 Feb 2005 at 14:34.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 14:28   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Okay that sounded pretty stupid but I can´t find the term I need in Enlish dammit
"Density".
The density (mass/volume ie: kg/m^3) of the substance (the gass) drops therefore the volume of the atmosphere rises, the distance from the outer edge of the atmosphere to the core of the earth will rise, the effect of gravity is lessened due to the larger distance, gass will escape.

Newtons universal law of gravity proves this:
F = G ((M1 * M2)/R^2)
M1 and M2 are the masses of both bodies, which would be the mass of earth and the mass of the atmosphere.
R^2 is the distance between the centres of both bodies, which would increase as the volume of the atmosphere increases.
Thus, as the volume of the atmosphere expands, the effect of gravity on the atmosphere lessens, and atmosphere will be vented into space.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 15:35   #9
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

So the greenhouse effect will be self regulating in the long run?
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 15:40   #10
sayonara
Shai Halud

The greenhouse effect is more due to the relative composition of the atmosphere than its density, so if it is self-regulating it won't be for the reasons above.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 15:48   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonara
The greenhouse effect is more due to the relative composition of the atmosphere than its density, so if it is self-regulating it won't be for the reasons above.
This is true: Although atmosphere will be vented as the density of it lessens, the greenhouse effect is caused by the "blanket" in our atmosphere that keeps the warmth in.

However, personally I'm not convinced yet that this greenhouse thing is real. I mean, surely the earths climate is warming up, but I kind of believe it is because of natural causes. I mean there are also global ice-times, so it's logical to assume there are also global tropical-times. No?
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 16:12   #12
sayonara
Shai Halud

Well sure, but whether it's man-made or natural doesn't really matter to the mechanics of it all.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 17:32   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonara
Well sure, but whether it's man-made or natural doesn't really matter to the mechanics of it all.
Yeah, well, OK... I agree, I don't think I'd care a whole lot who/what caused it if I need to paddle to work in rubber dinghy every day.

But what causes an ice-age? I thought it had to do something with the currents of the seas/oceans instead of the atmosphere.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 17:48   #14
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
This is true: Although atmosphere will be vented as the density of it lessens, the greenhouse effect is caused by the "blanket" in our atmosphere that keeps the warmth in.

However, personally I'm not convinced yet that this greenhouse thing is real. I mean, surely the earths climate is warming up, but I kind of believe it is because of natural causes. I mean there are also global ice-times, so it's logical to assume there are also global tropical-times. No?
Because the rate of acceleration is far too great for this to be a simply natural occurrence
Summanus is offline   Reply With Quote