User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 18 Jun 2004, 23:57   #1
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Sitecom Router + NTL Broadband = Fun!

Argh

I have two PCs connected to a sitecom WL-025 router, which in turn is connected to NTL's stand-alone broadband modem.

Using the MAC number of the PC on which the modem was registered for the NTL service, the router can't connect to the intermaweb.

Using the MAC number of the modem the router connects fine (crazy I know) , however this still results in no access for browsers etc. I suspect DNS servers may be involved.

Any super geeky advice?
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 00:08   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Sitecom Router + NTL Broadband = Fun!

are you actually getting an ip address assigned though ?

oh i see it.

dont use the modem mac, use the mac of the pc that registered. if you havent done that yet, plug a pc on its own in and register.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 00:13   #3
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Already regged from one of the PCs.

Connecting either PC to the modem directly works fine - it's connecting via the router that is the problem. Even though the router says it can get a response (and IPs I notice) from NTL.
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 00:18   #4
sayonara
Shai Halud

Ahhhh... is this perhaps something to do with crossover cables?
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 00:19   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

yes, you cant use those for normal connections.
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 00:43   #6
sayonara
Shai Halud

I'm not using one atm, but I have been trawling support forums for similar problems and a common solution I have seen is "modem to network card uses regular ethernet cable, but router to modem needs a crossover".

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice.
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 00:58   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

no, router to modem uses a standard cable here and is fine. (this may depend on the model of router however. and which port on the router its plugged into.)

edit : check nat and dhcp are enabled on the router.
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 01:01   #8
sayonara
Shai Halud

Yes they are - the router seems to be configured fine.

Only thing is it only gets a connection when it is using the MAC number of the modem, and even then neither PC can connect to the intermaweb.

Anyone know the IP for a reliable DNS server I can use to eliminate that as a possibility?
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 01:23   #9
sayonara
Shai Halud

RE-FKIN-SOLVED!

I added NTL's backup DNS servers to the router config, and changed the MAC to the router hardware default. That seemd to satisfy NTL's handshake thingummy.

Tra la laaa, me so happppy.