User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 1 Apr 2003, 07:50   #1
Dark Matter

Julius Caeser. Unstoppable?

I think not.

it is my belief that Caeser would have found himself sorely tried to the point of defeat had he had gone up against the Khmer Empire when it was at its peak during the tenth and twelfth centuries. Roman Civilisation, while vastly different to the Khmer Civilisation is comparable in technological standings, so you cannot say they were too far apart.

The Khmer Kingdoms were relatively small occuping only cambodia, however at their peak they ruled all of Indo China and had the southern chinese and Indians as tributary peoples. they also fought with Rockets, Catapults, Cavalry, a Large navy and had a War Elephant Corps of 200,000.

Julius Caeser while a great general could not havedefeated this empire of similar nature
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 07:57   #2
Dark Matter

since i cannot edit

Beliefs are not easily changed or swayed. for the purpose of this debate i will amend my second sentence to

"it is my postion that Caeser would have found himself sorely tried to the point of defeat had he had gone up against the Khmer Empire when it was at its peak during the tenth and twelfth centuries."
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 10:33   #3
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
This isn't a debate. Not really. I've been told to move these threads to GD.

Not sure who to feel sorry for...

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 10:38   #4
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
This isn't a debate. Not really. I've been told to move these threads to GD.

Not sure who to feel sorry for...

M.
Mong this is exactly why your stupid forum doesn't work.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 10:38   #5
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Shouldn't it be spelt "Julius&middot;C&aelig;sar"..?
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:17   #6
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

It's 'Lets show off our completely useless knowledge about an obscure civilisation in an attempt to look intelligent and educated' time, Kids!
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:22   #7
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the point in this comparison??

There's a millenium in between those empires, it is the same as debating whether Napoleon could have beaten Charlemagne.

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:24   #8
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Fifth_teletubbie
What's the point in this comparison??
Read my frigging posts, and you'll learn something, boyo.

Now say ten Hail Marys and give me sixty star jumps.
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:26   #9
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
Read my frigging posts, and you'll learn something, boyo.

Now say ten Hail Marys and give me sixty star jumps.
Oh great another self-appointed God's Gift.

Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:29   #10
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Oh great another self-appointed God's Gift.
I am God's gift.

And you are not good at either exposition or critique. Better sit this one out with the fat wheezy boys with a note from matron.
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:30   #11
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
I am God's gift.

And you are not good at either exposition or critique. Better sit this one out with the fat wheezy boys with a note from matron.
have you stolen Kura's funny gland?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:31   #12
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Quote:
I am God's gift.

Thank you for informing me, your opinion means so very much to me.

Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:31   #13
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
caesar adsum jam forte
brutus adarat
caesar sic in omnibus
brutus inisat

\o/

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:33   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Thank you for informing me, your opinion means so very much to me.
You should always be willing to defer to higher authority. I would stress that particularly in your case.
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:33   #15
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
caesar adsum jam forte
brutus adarat
caesar sic in omnibus
brutus inisat

\o/
latin is a language
that's as dead as dead can be
it killed the ancient romans
and now it's killing me.

could you translate pls? thx.

Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:34   #16
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
have you stolen Kura's funny gland?
He let's me borrow it if I dress up in Nun's outfit and dance the Can-Can twice weekly for him.
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:35   #17
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
could you translate pls? thx.
It makes no sense in either language
It's just the sound of the latin that sounds like english.

(think "Caesar had some jam for tea..." etc)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:35   #18
Radical Edward

Quote:
He let's me borrow it if I dress up in Nun's outfit and dance the Can-Can twice weekly for him.
he's scottish isn't he? ginger at the least... he must be.

Unread 1 Apr 2003, 12:16   #19
Dark Matter

back to the point
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 16:22   #20
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Matter
back to the point
you're hopeful.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 17:15   #21
Sub
Banned

Sub is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd like to see Germany vs USA alone in WW2. I'm suspecting that the Germans would have won as the USA wasn't really militarised at the time that Germany was at it's strongest, but to be honest the comparison is full of holes anyway.
Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 17:37   #22
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyp
Shouldn't it be spelt "Julius&middot;C&aelig;sar"..?
Iulius Caesar would be the most correct way of spelling it, although if you want to be really Roman you could write IVLIVS CAESAR.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
caesar adsum jam forte
brutus adarat
caesar sic in omnibus
brutus inisat

\o/
Caesar adsum iam forte
Brutus et erat
Caesar sic in omnibus
Brutus sic in at

This is the original way of saying it, but it relies on the posh (= correct) way of pronouncing "ate", as "et", not as "eight".
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 17:44   #23
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
This is the original way of saying it, but it relies on the posh (= correct) way of pronouncing "ate", as "et", not as "eight".
Aaah, i'd only seen it written down once before, so it was a bit of a memory test too.
Ta though.

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 18:03   #24
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
Before addressing the 'point', perhaps you could explain why exactly we are comparing military abilities of two societies from different parts of the planet who had no knowledge of each other who existed over 1200 years apart?

While we are at it...

What would have happened if the Wehrmacht acually had gone ahead with operation Sea Lion, and invaded England under Galgacus, the Briton warleader in 98 AD? Would his chariots have been able to overcome the Panzer II light tanks the Germans would have shipped over?

The technologies in your odd anachronistic parabole are not comparable, the Kmer had siege weapons, gunpowder, and much more advanced peltasts. The Romans had none of these at the time of Caesar, except the Scorpion light torsion catapult.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"

Last edited by Vermillion; 1 Apr 2003 at 18:09.
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 18:13   #25
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Julius Caeser. Unstoppable?

He's dead. That stopped him

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote