User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Jul 2005, 11:38   #1
Ginga
Reassuringly Expensive

Ginga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these parts
Bigger ships should take longer to build

Does anyone else think it was better when bigger ships took longer to build? I quite miss that feature of the game.
Ginga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 11:59   #2
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Bigger ships should take longer to build

Nope, not really
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 12:10   #3
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga
Does anyone else think it was better when bigger ships took longer to build? I quite miss that feature of the game.
says the xan??
Unread 28 Jul 2005, 13:40   #4
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I think it's fine as it is.
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 06:16   #5
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

i don't remember this feature
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 06:50   #6
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Nope, not really
Says the Cath

Shipbuilding time used to depend on what class the ship was. Fighters used to take 4 ticks to build, corvettes 8, Frigates 12, Destroyers 16, Crusiers 20 and Battleships 24 iirc. However, this was from R1-5 when there were no races. I dont actually remember if R6-9.5 actually did this as well, however R10 onwards all production ETA's have been the same for all classes - the only differences have been race specific bonuses (like Xans -1 Production time, Zik -2 etc).
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 10:26   #7
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

hmmmm no
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 13:53   #8
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Production times were on the same principles from round 1 through to round 9.5. It's only since PaX that all have been the same time.

I do kinda miss it, in a way...
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 18:41   #9
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

There are a number of features from pre-PaX that I'm not sure why they removed. Perhaps it was a data base coding issue, who can say? But I agree, varried ship building times was not a bad thing.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 13:29   #10
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

I think it was removed because it unbalanced the game in some way, perhaps...
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 13:51   #11
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
I think it was removed because it unbalanced the game in some way, perhaps...
I dont think it was because of that at all. Iirc, PaX was designed to be 'simpler' to play so the average random person could walk in and have fun - it was an attempt at reducing the steep learning curve that Planetarion has.

Whilst all that sounds good and noble, unfortunately it didnt have the desired effect.

As you all know, it merely made the game less interesting as everything was 'dumbed down' yet there was no increase in playerbase nor a reduction in the learning curve - rather now no-one knew what to do and it was thus alot more difficult on everyone. But new players didnt have the rough idea to succeed, so it didnt really help them at all.

I believe that the different ETA's for each class of ship fell victim to this general simplification. In a way, i prefer the way it is now - a complete order in an ETA that you can adjust through Engineering if you so desire. It would be a pain for Terrans who have to wait a full day to rebuild their losses from the previous night.

I think it should be revisted because tbh i havent thought about differing etas for such a long time. What sort of pros and cons did you envisage splitting the production ETAs up?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 14:38   #12
Neferti
part time ghost

If we can find a way to put back variable production ETAs without unbalancing the game I'd support it

Perhaps 12 or 16 should be the max (unaided by engineers) though, rather than 24.
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 16:14   #13
ironhell
Gifted

ironhell is an unknown quantity at this point

Its pretty good as it is at the moment imho...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
There was only one galaxy we couldn't seem to break (lo ironhell)
r3 11:14
r4 130:12
r5 25:20
r6 39:9
ironhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2005, 09:10   #14
Ginga
Reassuringly Expensive

Ginga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these parts

IF we are talking about balace, you just need to balance the races. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Xan are weeee little ships so dont take long to build, ter have big fat motherchunkers so they should take ages, but they take a bloomin poundin. It all balances. Just have to make it so all the races have equal advantages and disadvantages.
Ginga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 00:06   #15
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga
Awful idea

Xans build fighters to roid and there eta is faster and now they can build faster than a terran whos ships are slow eta and also take longer to build.
Don't be daft.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2005, 03:26   #16
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

Touch it and die. No fking way Im gonna wait 20 hours for my cruisers :P
Want old features, go play pl4netia

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote