User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Apr 2008, 03:54   #1
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
'Report Incoming' feature - IRC addition

I'm probably not the only one who thinks this idea would be vastly more useful if it reported incomings into a designated IRC channel, or to/through a designated IRC bot.

The feature we have this round would have been nice about 20 rounds ago, but is essentially obsolete now

Perhaps a field on the 'Preferences' page where you can specify an IRC channel or bot which will recieve the incomming report, rather than an alliance page--which probably doesn't get used as much as it could, or should.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2008, 04:00   #2
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: 'Report Incoming' feature - IRC addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
Perhaps a field on the 'Preferences' page where you can specify an IRC channel or bot which will recieve the incomming report, rather than an alliance page--which probably doesn't get used as much as it could, or should.
I know little (ie, nothing) about coding, but how are you meant to move from the webpage/IRC barrier? In the past, it involved lemmings copy&pasting from the galaxy page to a specific IRC channel. How would you hard-code that?

Further, why not just adapt the IRC systems to handle the reports* from the Alliance defence page - that way, officers and above in an alliance can copy & paste those reports to the IRC bot directly, and do it en masse, which should be easier than the current practice of piecemeal reporting that used to go on.

So, I find myself in general agreement, but why make it too easy?

*Formatting this to look exactly like the Galaxy status page would mean that no additional coding would be required for most IRC systems.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2008, 04:06   #3
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure I know even less than you about the technical barriers.

To me, it's all just "stuff on the internet"...what could possibly be so difficult about moving information from one medium (web page) to another (IRC)?

Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Just a random thought that crossed my mind while sitting here sipping rum, actually thinking about PA for once.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2008, 07:43   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Moving data from a website to an IRC channel is a little tricky, but it's definitely doable. In the end, it's all packets of 0s and 1s on the internet. You'll basically end up with a helper application that recieves a http response and sends an IRC message.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2008, 10:24   #5
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how it can be done either, but almost all the tech i've ever seen used in alliances had irc bots & webby connected to eachother so it's definetly possible.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2008, 10:50   #6
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Its not that hard to do, however i'm not too sure how viable it actually is from an IRC server pov.

You could possibly be looking at hundreds of people clicking the button to report an incoming within a few moments of the tick happening. This could either flood the bot off the network or atleast cause a reporting lag. If that reporting lag gets too big you could see alliances having incoming reported to them at the start of a tick but them not receiving the report till much later in the tick.

You could maybe have it so that each alliance has their own reporting bot but the overheads for PA to run enough bots for all alliances could be pretty immense
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2008, 11:42   #7
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

This is why the game could do with some super basic API so that people could use the data in a way which they want it instead of being forced to copy and paste pages or get scripts to scrape the most awful HTML known to man. Why this has continued for so long I don't know.

Certain alliances like to use IRC, others tend to use their alliances website. It would be nice to offer something neutral for players and alliances to use so they can get the data and use it in whichever way they want.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2008, 11:46   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Its not that hard to do, however i'm not too sure how viable it actually is from an IRC server pov.

You could possibly be looking at hundreds of people clicking the button to report an incoming within a few moments of the tick happening. This could either flood the bot off the network or atleast cause a reporting lag. If that reporting lag gets too big you could see alliances having incoming reported to them at the start of a tick but them not receiving the report till much later in the tick.

You could maybe have it so that each alliance has their own reporting bot but the overheads for PA to run enough bots for all alliances could be pretty immense
P does fine, I see no reason why another bot shouldn't. The server'll be fine. On the other hand, that would require some integration between Netgamers and Planetarion (ie, Jolt), and I'm not sure if that's got a chance of succeeding.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 9 Apr 2008, 12:06   #9
LordNieminen
Finn.. who's drunk.

LordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of light

hmmph.. isn't the goal of the game to make people be up some time of the night to send def.. instead sleeping and just letting their gal mates to report inc's.

I gues it's good for normal members but seriously the communities what sustain this game are alliance based mainly.. make too much easy-mode stuff and you get quite dead alliances outside euro prime timezone with just full of def call notices.

Thou personally this would just mean a lot of more roids for me, as def suffers.. but my def would suffer aswell, thou never trust that your alliance can cover you.. as that's stupid anyways.

as a sidenote.. everyone uses def chan's these days and we'r pretty much in that spot of game already.. so dunno if there's real argument against a merger of these features.
r9.5: Top60(small playerbase=easy)
Few won R's in PIA, r26 top15 First/Last Pax round.
[OLMIT] / [TreKronor]
10 lines max for signature I heard.. so
LordNieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2008, 08:11   #10
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold

an XML output of the current page would be sufficient for techies to produce easy scripts that automatically update every once in a while.

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2008, 09:39   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.

That (probably?) takes away the need for someone to be online to report the incomings though, which is something we don't want, I think we all agree on.