User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 15:05   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Angry That bloody MyDoom worm...

Has anyone else had it yet?
I've had a first hand look at it, and it doesn't hang about.
4 of the machines (out of 10) in our house contracted it after it got delivered to one person who reckons Outlook (not express) autoran the attachment. Clever.
In the 2 minutes between the machine booting up and me working out what was wrong with it (it's owner didn't know) it had sent about 80 emails. To make matters worse, NTL (due to one of my housemates not paying the bill) then chose that moment to cut off our cable line so we couldn't get the fix till we rang them up and got it reinstated.

On the bright side, all the machines running Norton AV stopped it, and the linux machines were immune from the code but bogged down by quite a few emails.
With that sort of bulk email transmission I'm not surprised it's now reckoned to be the fastest spreading virus ever - at one point it was nearly impossible to use the cable line until I put in a few temporary firewall rules to block all outgoing email, those 4 machines were sending so much.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 15:17   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: That bloody MyDoom worm...

I've not received an email with it yet, and if I were you I'd execute the person who opened the attachment.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 15:33   #3
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: That bloody MyDoom worm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
To make matters worse, NTL (due to one of my housemates not paying the bill) then chose that moment to cut off our cable line so we couldn't get the fix till we rang them up and got it reinstated.
Be happy that you COULD get the fix... I've heard of variants that modify your hosts-file, to redirect / block websites of antivirus-software and security / fixes pages... Now _that's_ what I call mean (although I did expect this trick to occur once.....)!
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 16:29   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Heh, sneaky.
Well as it happens I pulled the network plug on all 4 of the machines when I realised quite how badly the worm was affecting the network, and downloaded the fix on one of the linux machines then copied it over on my USB drive, so I'd have avoided that anyway.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 29 Jan 2004 at 16:40.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 16:40   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

not received anything either ISP or yahoo
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 17:09   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

what amuses me is that if someone combined all the nasty bits from the last 5 years of pc viruses, they'd have one hell of a nasty little bugger.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:24   #7
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

What's especially worrying is that it doesn't use any new exploits to spread. It just mails itself around and says something like "hey, open me".
Even after the enormous load of virusses we've seen the last years which do this, people still fall for it.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 21:28   #8
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: That bloody MyDoom worm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
..., people still fall for it.
Isn't this the mean variant again, that says something like "Subject: Mail Delivery Failed - You've received a 7bit ASCII message. There was a problem with MIME encoding, content included as binary" (or sort of). Apparently even "IT experts" (ho ho) fell for it..
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 22:59   #9
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
Be happy that you COULD get the fix... I've heard of variants that modify your hosts-file, to redirect / block websites of antivirus-software and security / fixes pages... Now _that's_ what I call mean (although I did expect this trick to occur once.....)!
Right click, delete.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 23:28   #10
JetLinus

Or remove the according lines, SURE!
1st: Get the idea to look there!
2nd: Let amateurs / n00bs / whoever find this file on them own. They need somebody to tell them where it is, what it does, that it could possibly cause this problem...
3rd: IF hostnames are put in there as IP adresses and the file contains other configuration (maybe needed for network infrastructure, i.e. intranet), someone need to figure out whats wrong with it...

Ouh, and:
If I were to make a virus, multiple instances of the program would keep on "restoring" this file. As well as regkeys for autostart etc.

A bit like NB3 said....
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 00:56   #11
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Nasty begger that one, not opened any but i'm getting about 60-70 / day atm to my @planetarion.com address. Thank god for webmail

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 01:08   #12
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Ive had in total 29 emails, was getting one or two every couple of mins to hours yesterday, absolutely none now. either freeserve is filtering it from mail servers or the person who was infected has had it fixed
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 04:17   #13
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Has anyone else had it yet?
I'm excited about it...in 5 years, I've never ever gotten a virus...but I got it 8 times yesterday...

EXCITED!!
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 09:34   #14
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
Ive had in total 29 emails, was getting one or two every couple of mins to hours yesterday, absolutely none now. either freeserve is filtering it from mail servers or the person who was infected has had it fixed
I use Freeserve, and my ISP email usually gets 10-20 standard spam messages a day, recently I've had only 10 in the past 4 days, makes me think Freeserve is doing the filtering at their end.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 12:16   #15
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

well done to freeserve if u ask me
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 12:54   #16
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In all this time, I've never had any of the famous virus e-mails

Unless I've deleted them without knowing it was them, of course :S
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 19:19   #17
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Im getting 500+ a day easy. Rather annoying tbh.
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 22:34   #18
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

i'm still getting all kinds of e-mail virii, luckily i don't use Outlook anymore (now using Incredimail, pm me for the url, i think posting it here might fall under the advertising clause), but indeed, outlook had the irritated feature that people could auto-run attachments to an e-mail, get the latest patches to solve that.

fortunately, my ISP has been as smart as to filter out most Mydoom virus mails supposedly

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jan 2004, 22:43   #19
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

i used to like incredimail, but then it started to lock up on me for no reason.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 9 Feb 2004, 21:16   #20
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
Or remove the according lines, SURE!
1st: Get the idea to look there!
2nd: Let amateurs / n00bs / whoever find this file on them own. They need somebody to tell them where it is, what it does, that it could possibly cause this problem...
3rd: IF hostnames are put in there as IP adresses and the file contains other configuration (maybe needed for network infrastructure, i.e. intranet), someone need to figure out whats wrong with it...

Ouh, and:
If I were to make a virus, multiple instances of the program would keep on "restoring" this file. As well as regkeys for autostart etc.

A bit like NB3 said....
Safe mode with network usually kills that.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote