User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Nov 2002, 17:37   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I was quite surprised to see where planetarion was running on...

Taken from this thread: http://pirate.planetarion.com/forum/...hreadid=154416

Quote:
Bandwidth:
5-6mbits (peak time) serving approx 1 Million pages per day
Peak info for busiest day: 21.420.353 kb, 1.824.117 pages
For October, we pushed 525GB of data over the internet link, 38Mill pages, 87Mill hits. 194.316 unique IP addresses accessed us.

Hardware:
1 * Fast dual processor database server with a scsi raid controller, running Sybase or MSSQL.
4-6 * Normal web servers PIII 500+ with 1 GB memory with large hard drive capacity, RedHat 6.2, with a 2.4.x kernel

Forums: Normal webserver with php, mysql, apache.
Alliance Hosting : Normal webserver with php, mysql, apache.
Portal: Normal webserver with php, mysql, apache
The bandwidth is sheer amazing IMO (I've never really seen any bandwidth stats, but I find that a LOT of data), yet the servers look miserable in contrast.
I expected a huge set of servers with dual and quad processor setups and incredible amounts of memory. But a few P3-500 and a heavier DB server is quite small for a game that used to host 180k players with a half-decent GUI.

Any comments on this?
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 17:45   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: I was quite surprised to see where planetarion was running on...

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Any comments on this?
Several modern space satellites still use 486 processors.

Servers don't need to be that fast at all, tbh. All they need to do is receive requests, send replies and serve pages. A decent amount of memory and fast hard disk access are the main things on the hardware side. The limiting factor on a server is normally the bandwith, not any of the specs.
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 17:59   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Re: I was quite surprised to see where planetarion was running on...

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Several modern space satellites still use 486 processors.

Servers don't need to be that fast at all, tbh. All they need to do is receive requests, send replies and serve pages. A decent amount of memory and fast hard disk access are the main things on the hardware side. The limiting factor on a server is normally the bandwith, not any of the specs.
Well, aren't the scripts tough on the servers? When serving 1.8mil pages on a day, loaded with information and variables I can think of quite some stress on those machines. Also the database machine.... only a dual processor machine?!

The funny part is that I recall Spinner posting anouncements about Fudge going to "headquarters" to fix the servers (when they burped again)... I can still see my own version of Fudge in my mind, standing amongst a set of huge cases with flickering lights, while in reality it was probably no more than a few midi towers aligned on a table.
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 18:20   #4
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Nah the scripts wont take much processing power at all. As Leshy said its the bandwith (both externally to serve the page to the viewer and internally between the webserver and the db server) that causes causes any bottle necks. In fact most of the problems of pages not loading in the past were simply down to the db server not being able to serve the data to the webserver quick enough.

Back around r4 and r5 Fudge (or was it Vish) seemed to spend most of their time just twaeking the whole db aspect of teh game just to try and keep these bottleknecks ata mininum
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 18:32   #5
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
Back around r4 and r5 Fudge (or was it Vish) seemed to spend most of their time just twaeking the whole db aspect of teh game just to try and keep these bottleknecks ata mininum
Vish was the DB man.

But the general impression that I got from people 'in the know' was that Vish coded a DB system for planetarion.

Aparently not.

So how many #linux people did they get to code the other scripts.

heh
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 18:37   #6
Dudels

I read somewhere that the game was coded in C - if this is the case then the processor power wouldn't be overly important in as it would run uber fast anyway.

As said above, the main causes of slowness is teh database and bandwidth.
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 18:38   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Satelites on 486's is nothing.
Spaceshuttles still have thier software loaded in off tape.

Viva la USA!

Unread 27 Nov 2002, 19:15   #8
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
they need an upgrade to take advantage of the magical new MMX technology
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 19:20   #9
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Vish was the DB man.

But the general impression that I got from people 'in the know' was that Vish coded a DB system for planetarion.

Aparently not.

heh
Coding a whole DB system would be a waste of time when there are systems already around that do it...theres little point reinenting the weel
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 19:34   #10
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
First thing to keep in mind is that as Dudels has already pointed out they are not scripts in the traditional sense.

The entire game from the ticker(s) to the CGI were programmed in C++ so as they are pre-compiled they use relatively low overhead.

Also, it uses Fast-CGI which as opposed to traditional CGI keeps itself loaded in memory the entire time so that it does not have to keep loading and unloading the code all the time to process the pages.

Also, the server setup has changed many times throughout PA's history. At one stage at least they had the ticker running on two seperate machines each one processing 1/2 the DB each.

I also seem to recall that when Barrysworld were doing the hosting they had significantly more webservers operating.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 21:13   #11
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Two.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 21:15   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by queball

Two.
#linux coded PA scripts?
Which ones if I may ask?
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 21:42   #13
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Why does that not suprise me .
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 22:27   #14
Cocaine

#linux are everywhere
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 04:25   #15
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
I too am suprised at those specs. To me they seem like complete overkill. My DB server is only a P3/900 with 1GB ram, and it does about 400 SQL queries per second. It spends most its time at about 10% load.

I also run a web server from the same machine, running pre-compiled pages. We run about 500k pages a day.

PA's specs seem slightly over powered in comparison.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 05:16   #16
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
38 million pages per month = a stunning 10 per second .... over 6 web servers. A little over specced there.

The really wierd thing is they always used specific servers fro specific pages and never even tried load balancing which might have been an easy solution to some of the DOS attacks.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 10:22   #17
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by mikay
38 million pages per month = a stunning 15 per second .... over 6 web servers. A little over specced there.
15 per second on average tho at peak times i'm sure the load is significantly higher
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 10:32   #18
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w

15 per second on average tho at peak times i'm sure the load is significantly higher
That's the crucial point I think. The average might be 15/s but the peak load (at 06:55) will probably be 100 times that.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 10:56   #19
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Gayle's right - you can't base something like this on the average load - you have to have the equipment to handle the peak times.
Think back to rounds 3 and 4 - there were constant problems with load at peak (hello military page timeouts) despite PA bringing in new kit.
This means the majority of the time you have some quite high performance machines sitting there doing nothing much, I know - but a buyer may well be running more than just PA, so this may ballance the processing commitment somewhat.

Unread 28 Nov 2002, 11:49   #20
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Raging.Retard
We run about 500k pages a day.
Round 4, PA ran between 10 and 12 million pages a day.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 12:59   #21
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Gayle's right - you can't base something like this on the average load - you have to have the equipment to handle the peak times.
Think back to rounds 3 and 4 - there were constant problems with load at peak (hello military page timeouts) despite PA bringing in new kit.
This means the majority of the time you have some quite high performance machines sitting there doing nothing much, I know - but a buyer may well be running more than just PA, so this may ballance the processing commitment somewhat.

You won't be peeking massively more because PA has cycles and not everyone launches at 6.55 or 5.55 or at all really. Launching is only a few page accesses, it prolly takes more accesses to scan the target than launch on them.

Any problem stems from the fact npaweb02 serves mil screens and npaweb01/3/4/5/6 sit idly by while it is being pounded. Same with the resources screen 36 ticks in etc.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote