User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:17   #1
Cuddley_Battleship
Luminous Flux

Cuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these parts
I hate RTS 'wimps'

Just got done with a game of StarCraft. I was Zerg, he was Protoss. I'm a pretty good player, especially with Zerg, but all he freaking built were photon cannons and smothered me. I've noticed this trend with other games, too. All the so-called 'good' players just make structures up to your base and strangle you. I don't know how that's fun, and it really ruins the games. I think the games were supposed to be simply building a decent base and using UNITS to attack. Do you guys agree/disagree?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:18   #2
Dace

If you really are any good you should be able to beat someone no matter how lame the tactic they use is.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:19   #3
Cuddley_Battleship
Luminous Flux

Cuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dace
If you really are any good you should be able to beat someone no matter how lame the tactic they use is.
Do you play StarCraft?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:20   #4
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
You are bringing a claim that should be made against the game, not the player.

If he plays by the rules (unlike everyone on CS for example) then his objective is to win, not to make the game enjoyable for you.

If the game really should be about units, then the game should be changed. It has nothing to do with whoever you just played against.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:23   #5
Cuddley_Battleship
Luminous Flux

Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis
You are bringing a claim that should be made against the game, not the player.

If he plays by the rules (unlike everyone on CS for example) then his objective is to win, not to make the game enjoyable for you.

If the game really should be about units, then the game should be changed. It has nothing to do with whoever you just played against.
You're right, although I didn't have a whole lot of fun, I don't see how mindlessly expending a base can be fun either. The real objective of a game is to have fun, isn't it?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:24   #6
Dace

Quote:
Originally posted by Cuddley_Battleship
Do you play StarCraft?

I played it in the past.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:24   #7
Vince McMahon

I've only really played the Age of Kings series, but I can understand the frustration. There was a tactic where the opponent rushed to the 2nd age and made nothing but towers around your base. ES tried to stop this from happening, but it was too good a tactic even after they nerfed towers.

However, I don't feel offended by other people doing it. I like the challenge for beating them down. In AoK it was possible to beat it if you knew what you were doing, but perhaps in Starcraft it's different. (Note: I'm talking HIGH level games here... I'm not sure what level you are).
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:34   #8
Cuddley_Battleship
Luminous Flux

Quote:
Originally posted by Miasma
hehe Protoss rape was always a fun tactic.

"I wonder why his probes are wandering around the back of my base?"

5 minute later

"Where the **** did those cannons come from"

lame but justifiable if a player doesnt stop it.
heh. I wish I would have saved the replay of that game, I held him back from my last base for at least half an hour. (by then he'd expended to cover most of the map)
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:35   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: I hate RTS 'wimps'

Quote:
Just got done with a game of StarCraft. I was Zerg, he was Protoss. I'm a pretty good player, especially with Zerg, but all he freaking built were photon cannons and smothered me.
It's been a while since I've played, but don't Guardians outrange photon cannons?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:38   #10
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Re: I hate RTS 'wimps'

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus

It's been a while since I've played, but don't Guardians outrange photon cannons?
Heh. You get photon cannons right away, whereas it takes a good while to get up to guardians. And then guardians is a bad way to go because protoss are particularly dangerous when attacking airships (scouts...).
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:38   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Yep.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:38   #12
Cuddley_Battleship
Luminous Flux

Quote:

Yep. He had a nice fleet of scouts and some templars that would come out to play whenever I tried to use them though.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:39   #13
Akallabeth
Insomniac

Akallabeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just got done with a game of StarCraft. I was Zerg, he was Protoss. I'm a pretty good player, especially with Zerg, but all he freaking built were photon cannons and smothered me. I've noticed this trend with other games, too. All the so-called 'good' players just make structures up to your base and strangle you. I don't know how that's fun, and it really ruins the games. I think the games were supposed to be simply building a decent base and using UNITS to attack. Do you guys agree/disagree?
a zergling rush is faster than a cannon rape .... kill him before he kills u
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:40   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Re: I hate RTS 'wimps'

Quote:

Yep. He had a nice fleet of scouts and some templars that would come out to play whenever I tried to use them though.
Scourge, keep the guardians spread out and kill the templar.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:40   #15
Akallabeth
Insomniac

Re: Re: Re: I hate RTS 'wimps'

Quote:

you mean he had the time to research templars and build a stargate and STILL could cannon up ur base ? ... u need to work on ur speed
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 22:40   #16
Cuddley_Battleship
Luminous Flux

Quote:
Originally posted by Akallabeth

a zergling rush is faster than a cannon rape .... kill him before he kills u
Did that, but he had enough photon cannons by the time I got to him it failed.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:22   #17
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
So basically, what you're saying is that ... You got owned by a noob tactic and were too ****e to stop it?
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:25   #18
Radon
Flame Attraction

Radon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Raging.Retard
So basically, what you're saying is that ... You got owned by a noob tactic and were too ****e to stop it?
I agree, I played StarCraft in leagues etc., we were one of the top 10 clans in germany... No offence, but if you get owned by photons as a zerg, you are really doing something wrong...
Radon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:25   #19
Dace

Quote:

That does appear to be the case.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:40   #20
Akallabeth
Insomniac

Quote:
what exactly is 'n00bish' with photon (bunker, lurker, whatever)containment?

it forces ur opponent to go air or spend time and resources cracking the containment.... by that time if ur half decent u should have 3-4 bases all over the map, and u can then simply outresource ur opponent

oh, and if the base ur containing hasnt got sufficient defence, ofc its wise to go in for the kill :P
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:44   #21
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Originally posted by Akallabeth

what exactly is 'n00bish' with photon (bunker, lurker, whatever)containment?

it forces ur opponent to go air or spend time and resources cracking the containment.... by that time if ur half decent u should have 3-4 bases all over the map, and u can then simply outresource ur opponent

oh, and if the base ur containing hasnt got sufficient defence, ofc its wise to go in for the kill :P
Its a "n00b technique" because it only works if your opponent isn't that good (or isn't paying attention). If you use that against a good player, you'll get wiped out.

Non-n00bs don't use it because they know if their opponent doesn't suck they will lose, so it is a waste (no point in winning a game if your opponent sucks anyway). And because they aren't homosexual.

n00b.
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 23:56   #22
Radon
Flame Attraction

Oh and btw, you don't have to go air at all if you want to get by that.

mass ling or a couple dozen hydras wipe out every defense easily if you time your attack well
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 00:04   #23
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
All the so-called 'good' players just make structures up to your base and strangle you
Only poor players dont keep recon'ing the map, especially around their main base.

(and use mass-lings to remove offensive cannons, or if you have the tech, distract them with lings while lurkers get in position. I know the cannons can see them, but lurkers do far more damage than unevolved lings. The computer targeting AI will always shoot the closer lings over the ranged lurkers, unless told otherwise).
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 00:49   #24
Patrician
Sultan of Swing

Patrician is an unknown quantity at this point
'newbie'

BlueTuba
Patrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 00:55   #25
Plastic-Wrap
Guilty of being White

Plastic-Wrap is an unknown quantity at this point
rofl even my 10 yr old cousin can get out of that when he gets cannoned to ****
<ckx> and they get all bitchy
<ckx> "I"M ONLY 13, I'M ONLY 13!!!"
Plastic-Wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 00:57   #26
Moled
careface ;[

Moled is an unknown quantity at this point
the fact that you can slowly see it comming and kill it off is just silly :/

what do you think of rushers tho?

good/bad?

millions of tiny cheap units that lag you to fk :/
Moled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 01:02   #27
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like you simply sucked, and he played around with you, making sure HE had fun. If he could win by turtling up to you with cannons, I'm sure he could beat you with units before that.

God damn it, even with even resources cannons<->lings, you should have been able to beat him.
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 01:19   #28
WarFalcon
Freedom First

WarFalcon is an unknown quantity at this point
The only game I've seen with building domination was the pre-patch Age of Kings where the town center ruled all. It sliced, it diced, diced you up anyways
WarFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2002, 02:19   #29
Radon
Flame Attraction

xtothez, that reminds me of our ownage days in sc

feel like playing sometime again?