User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Feb 2003, 13:47   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
MS IIS

RIGHTYHO

After installing IIS 5.1 on Xp Professional (which has Sp1 installed) i have it running a small website which basically hosts a couple of ASP pages which index directories (films, mp3's etc) for people on the student network to download from.
I didnt want them streaming so ive used asp to force downloads etc.

altho i guess if they just loaded media player and pointed it at the url it would stream but cest la vie.

HOWEVAR

recently after a bugger load of people started using it the page loading times take forever.

even for me when im trying to load them and im the goddamn administrator.

what is causing this massive slowness (and it cant be other people because ive shutdown and restarted and its still been like this)

and how do i fix it?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:34   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Not being familiar with IIS, I don't know - but I'd be looking for 3 things if I had this problem myself.
a) Does IIS have some kind of flood protection/page requests per IP limter thingy and if so how do you alter the settings
b) Is your firewall being anal
c) How are other network applications involving serving doing (Kazaa etc)?

[edit]
d) Could it be caching frequently accessed stuff? If it's trying to cache MP3s or DivXs then there's going to be some damn big cache files about which would take a while to load.
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:40   #3
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Check the concurrency limit of IIS under ME. I ave a suspicion it will be running as a 'personal' version, in which case you are limited to 10 requests being open at once.

[Edit: Incase you were unaware where to do this]

This is as per 2k, but im sure its simillar:
Load IIS Manager, right click the machine (not the site) chose properties. Under 'Master Properties' select 'WWW Service' and hit Edit... The 'Web Site' tab contains a connections group. Check what its set too.

Last edited by Raging.Retard; 26 Feb 2003 at 14:46.
Raging.Retard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 14:43   #4
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Seriously, put Apache on instead of IIS. Seriously. There's no excuse not to.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 15:33   #5
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
hehe, even i converted - IIS now stinks

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Feb 2003, 16:00   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I have never done ASP in much detail, but you might want to look if you register objects that aren't freed later on.
Also there is an option "bandwidth throttling" you might want to check (in the admin plugin).
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Feb 2003, 23:24   #7
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
i ran IIS 5.1 for a while, but i also noticed slow loading time for me - even though i was accessing it via localhost. i've played with tons of settings and nothing seems to fix it. I now run apache on port 80 and IIS on port 8080 for occasional ASP as apache is ALWAYS fast for me, no matter how many people are accessing pages.

although as your pages are asp this doesn't really help. unless you want to look into chilsoft(?) asp which i think is an apache 'add-on'.
Unread 28 Feb 2003, 10:18   #8
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Add
although as your pages are asp this doesn't really help. unless you want to look into chilsoft(?) asp which i think is an apache 'add-on'.
you're also 'meant' to pay for it

alternatives are the asp2php and i think theres a perl one too

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote