User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 28 Jan 2003, 23:45   #1
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
downloading

how can i make my computer download more than 2 files at a time using internet explorer
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 23:53   #2
Breed
Albatross!

Breed is an unknown quantity at this point
eh

You sir scare me!

Click on another link?

IE can download as many files as you want at the same time (brr.. memory efficient = NO).

Just click on a new link for d/l, just try to download two files at the same time.

Geez.. just try before you ask.
-- Ogden Nash
Breed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 03:31   #3
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Re: eh

Quote:
Originally posted by Breed
Or how about you learn before you post derogatory on a subject you clearly know nothing about.

IE does infact have support for download restrictions enforced per server (ie you cant download more than x files from the same server at once). I am not 100% sure whether these are installed by default, or which versions this applies to.

As a fix you might like to try adding the following registry keys to your system.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
Keys:
DWord "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server" Value "00000010"
DWord "MaxConnectionsPerServer" Value "00000008"
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 08:31   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
I know the problem. I was downloadinga lot of files the other day, but it only downloaded three at the same time. All other files were put in a queue and were started (ie: you could select download location) after another one had finished.
I don't know how to change it. Perhaps it's a setting in IE somewhere.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 12:29   #5
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Of course, consider that the server admins have a right to specify how many downloads per user, and that these specifications are probably there for a good reason.

If someody is providing a service to you, and asks you not to overburden it, then don't.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 14:55   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Of course, consider that the server admins have a right to specify how many downloads per user, and that these specifications are probably there for a good reason.

If someody is providing a service to you, and asks you not to overburden it, then don't.

M.
eh.... they were from different servers mista Mong...
I was downloading two from one server, and two from another one, but the fourth d/l was queued
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 19:25   #7
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Re: eh

Quote:
You sir scare me!

Click on another link?

IE can download as many files as you want at the same time (brr.. memory efficient = NO).

Just click on a new link for d/l, just try to download two files at the same time.

For being 26 years of age you are a bit of a twat and dont have a clue what your talkin about.

ps
Thanx RR
Unread 29 Jan 2003, 20:01   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Further to this, when opeing several smallish screen shots, only 2 were loading at a time

BUT

when opening several windows from different links to threads or websites it always attempts to load it all the windows at once.

How can I change either one so that images load up all together and windows only load 1-2 at a time and queues the rest?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Feb 2003, 06:07   #9
Breed
Albatross!

Re: Re: eh

Quote:
Originally posted by Raging.Retard
Or how about you learn before you post derogatory on a subject you clearly know nothing about.

IE does infact have support for download restrictions enforced per server (ie you cant download more than x files from the same server at once). I am not 100% sure whether these are installed by default, or which versions this applies to.

As a fix you might like to try adding the following registry keys to your system.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
Keys:
DWord "MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server" Value "00000010"
DWord "MaxConnectionsPerServer" Value "00000008"
Oh right so using synchronous DNS with a higher value than the default http. 1.0 protocol is considered a good choice?

All it does is making your browser a selfish connection pig.
As for d/l more than 2 files at the same time in IE, there is no need to edit your registry, seeing that it follow the standard protocol it should be able to d/l 4 files at the same time.

Should it however be following the http1.1 protocol, which means its a newer version than 5.1, the standard is set to 2 files pr. session and with good reason. Upping that number is not a good practice.

The correct answer would be that using the latest IE you can d/l as many files as you want at the same time, save when these files are from one single server in which the maximum is 4 or 2 depending on version. The incorrect answer is giving solutions to avoiding the http protocol, we have enough idiots out there trying to break the net without you adding to their cause.

I gave a derogatory answer without thinking that the poor kid might be talking about d/l from one server alone.
Silly me.

You gave him the recipie to break a protocol, ignorant you.

Referring to the HTTP1.1 Spec section 8.1.4 Practical Considerations - "Clients that use persistent connections SHOULD limit the number of simultaneous connections that they maintain to
a given server. A single-user client SHOULD NOT maintain more than 2 connections with any server or proxy. A
proxy SHOULD use up to 2*N connections to another server or proxy, where N is the number of simultaneously
active users. These guidelines are intended to improve HTTP response times and avoid congestion."

So lets just say we both should think before answering.

Chriso
-- Ogden Nash
Unread 2 Feb 2003, 06:10   #10
Breed
Albatross!

Re: Re: eh

Quote:
Originally posted by cookiemay
For being 26 years of age you are a bit of a twat and dont have a clue what your talkin about.

ps
Thanx RR
Well you are the one who breaks the http1.1. protocol, people like you makes it necessary for our servers (cause yes I do run a few) to implement controls on the number of active sessions.
More idiotic controlling equals more cycles on the server equals less effectiveness.

Go ahead and make the web slower.

Oh.. but I should have understood you were talking about d/l from one server. My mistake.

You are still a selfish pig.

Chriso
-- Ogden Nash
Unread 2 Feb 2003, 09:15   #11
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Re: Re: Re: eh

Quote:
So lets just say we both should think before answering.
Or lets not as the post you just made continues to prove your ignorance in this matter. My post provided a potential answer to his problem, whether you like it or not, that was the question.

Quote:
Oh right so using synchronous DNS with a higher value than the default http. 1.0 protocol is considered a good choice?
Right, first of all if your going to try to make urself look clever by posting on something you know absolutely nothing about... at least make your comments make sense. Firstly DNS is an attribute of the transport layer which HTTP is built on top of, namely the TCP/IP suite, last time I checked http wasnt trying to redefine the TCP standard. Secondly synchronous/asynchronous DNS look ups are to do with how the calls are implemented and have nothing to do with the standard itself.

For those that need this clarifying, there are 2 methods your machine can do to resolve DNS queries. One is synchronous (a blocking call). In this method a DNS query is made, and any further DNS queries made by an application are queued, until the 1st one is finished, then the next one processes and so on. The other is asynchronous (non-blocking) where DNS queries are not queued at occur at the same time. This is all dictated (on windows at least) by which version of Winsock you are running. All the modern OS's (2k/XP) are quite happy making asynchronous calls.

This leads me onto my last point, that synchronous calls could not be assigned a value as its sequential. Asynchronous could have a concurrency limit but thats again not what you said. So thanks again for making yourself look silly.

Quote:
Quote:
As for d/l more than 2 files at the same time in IE ... seeing that it follow the standard protocol it should be able to d/l 4 files at the same time.
Quote:
[If] its a newer version than 5.1, the standard is set to 2 files pr. session.
Right then. So originally it could download as many as it wanted... then it could download 4... then it could download 2? Either youve been reading some sources and randomly inserting information you have no clue about, or you are sufferring from some kind of mulitple personality disorded. Id get that checked out tbh.

Quote:
Referring to the HTTP1.1 Spec section 8.1.4 Practical Considerations - "...A single-user client SHOULD NOT maintain more than 2 connections with any server or proxy."
Also not only are you changing your information with every other new line write, but also contradicting yourself?! You claim that if IE followed 'the standard' that it should DL 4 files at the same time, then you post an extract from said standard and claim it should be 2. Lets do this slowely.... 2 is NOT equal to 4.

... and to think you had the cheek to call me 'ignorant'. Heh

Last edited by Raging.Retard; 2 Feb 2003 at 09:20.
Raging.Retard is offline   Reply With Quote