User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 20 Jan 2003, 02:35   #1
Not_RIT

Not_RIT is an unknown quantity at this point
Airtight case?

Im looking for an airtight case because the place in which the computer I am currently specing up will be extremely dusty, so it needs to be airtight :/ If anyone knows of any such cases I will be greatful to hear about them
Not_RIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 05:43   #2
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Wont that act like an oven ?
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 11:29   #3
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Only ones I know of (and I'm not too sure I have the right ones here) are the NeXT cubes. Weren't they sealed and oil cooled? Or am I thinking of a different make.

Either way, I have no idea if an old NeXT case could be modded to ATX form factor anyway.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 12:16   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You'd have a hard time cooling an airtight case, even oil cooling requires some kind of airflow to cool the oil down after its done a cycle. My suggestion would be to make sure your case has positive air pressure (so it is blowing air out of all the holes instead of sucking dusty air in), with just one or two intakes covered by removable, washable filters and the one blowhole whose fan can push less air than the other two combined.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 12:47   #5
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
get some air filters, to filter out the dust.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 13:38   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
As all the sensible suggestions have been made, I am left to say "buy a vacuum cleaner".

Unread 20 Jan 2003, 16:50   #7
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
As all the sensible suggestions have been made, I am left to say "buy a vacuum cleaner".

Never!

I was thinking of some sort of airtight case with watercooling tbh :/
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 18:52   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Not_RIT
Never!

I was thinking of some sort of airtight case with watercooling tbh :/
You still have to dissapate the heat from the water into the air, which won't be easy if the case is going to be airtight. The only suggestion I can make along those lines is to partition the case, have the wet cooling system radiator partitioned from the rest of the case, keep the mobo etc airtight, but have fans in the partitioned bit (which would be exposed to the air in the room) and use a filter of some form there.
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 18:57   #9
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
The obvious thing to do is get as small a case as you can and buy a small fridge that will just fit it.
Only potential problems would be condensation and cabling. I think solutions can be found for both those issues.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 21:21   #10
Not_RIT

I think I will just end up buying a normal case and having positive air pressure inside like Pab said, cheaper and better this way
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 22:47   #11
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
You still have to dissapate the heat from the water into the air, which won't be easy if the case is going to be airtight.
Who says you cannt have pipes outside of the case. Run it into the mains supply
Unread 21 Jan 2003, 00:20   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
Who says you cannt have pipes outside of the case. Run it into the mains supply
UK == Water Meter madskillz.

That and its a terrifying waste =/

That and the water wouldn't be deionised. Or filtered. And such forth.
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 14:09   #13
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Triple insulated Pressurized Water Reacto... CPU?

http://www.io.com/~tcm/images/twtbkf1.gif

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jan 2003, 23:18   #14
Idi

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Only ones I know of (and I'm not too sure I have the right ones here) are the NeXT cubes. Weren't they sealed and oil cooled? Or am I thinking of a different make.

Either way, I have no idea if an old NeXT case could be modded to ATX form factor anyway.
mmmmmmmmmm magnesium

i dont remember anyone saying they were air tight though.

i think it would be very hard to have an air tight case
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 00:58   #15
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
surely running a cable through the side is not a huge problem?

it wouldnt be airtight but it wouldnt be drawing in air and therefore dust. just go with standard watercooling?

the amount of dust that could possible flow in would be minute and would take years and years and years to accumlate into anything resembling 'dustyness'
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 01:00   #16
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
http://www.thermaltake.com/products/...aquariusII.htm
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 11:39   #17
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
Triple insulated Pressurized Water Reacto... CPU?

http://www.io.com/~tcm/images/twtbkf1.gif
He wants to cool his PC, not power a city.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 13:40   #18
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by skiddy
He wants to cool his PC, not power a city.
Dont discourage the creative genius which is MT.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 19:22   #19
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
UK == Water Meter madskillz.

That and its a terrifying waste =/
I guess it is a waste. But my water isnt metered
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 19:24   #20
BesigedB
Darling

Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
the amount of dust that could possible flow in would be minute and would take years and years and years to accumlate into anything resembling 'dustyness'

silicon sealant would do fine.
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 01:44   #21
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
my old computer was well dusty inside and it worked fine

u should have seen the amount of dust on the CPU HSF
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 12:57   #22
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
on older computers might be ok, since they do not get as hot, my bro's p200MMX is proper dusty inside but works fine.

A modern computer would experience a rise in heat and possibly instability.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 13:33   #23
Not_RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
on older computers might be ok, since they do not get as hot, my bro's p200MMX is proper dusty inside but works fine.

A modern computer would experience a rise in heat and possibly instability.
The server im replacing has been on for the last 5 years non-stop, its still doing its job but since its critical that is stays up and is reliable I think its about time to replace it
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 19:55   #24
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Indulge an old man who has forgotten his physics A-level already - how do you keep a high air pressure inside your case, without continually pumping in air? The very air you're trying to keep out in fact..