User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Dec 2002, 21:26   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quick network help please

I've got two mates computers connected via a switch (which they borrowed of me).

I can ping both computers from the other one

The IP for them is automatically set to 198.162.0.1 and 198.162.0.2 (or whatever it should be)

I can even play a networked game of championship manager between the two

What i can't do is seem to share any files ((

I installed the netshare utility that came with the switch that i know works fine cos i've used it before on my computers.

Also set up the network in windows (winME) to share stuff yet it still doesn't work.

One of the computers is connected to the net with ntl broadband and the other computer is able to share the internet connection fine.

Why can't i share files? I also can't seem to browse the network from My Network Places.

(There is a very large amount of movies/pr0n/etc waiting on one of the comps whilst the other comp is the one with the CDRW, so i'm sure you can see my dilemma )
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 22:05   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
you need in Network properties
File and printer sharing for MS networks
you need to make sure they are on the same workgroup

and you need both network properties lists to look the same

try also a find-computer
and search for the other pc
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 12 Dec 2002, 22:07   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
done all that

file sharing is installed oand selected on both

when i search for computers only one i find is the one i am searching on

Is there anyway i can get share stuff between the comps using some kind of lan p2p proggy even tho they comps aren't recognising each other in windows?

or can i somehow share the files via dos?
Unread 13 Dec 2002, 01:17   #4
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
what are the NETBIOS names of the 2 PCs?

For example, in my house my pc is named Jimbob. I can get to it regardless of workgroup by typing \\jimbob in the explorer address bar.
Unread 13 Dec 2002, 11:50   #5
Ragnarak

the two names are dale and martin

i can do //dale if i'm on dale and see what it's sharing but get nothing if i type that on martin

i installed uwGo or some such which is a lan p2p proggy and managed to share the files i needed to like that but i have no fking clue why they don't recognise each other as having shared resources in wndows :/
Unread 13 Dec 2002, 12:04   #6
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
windows networking isnt my strongpoint, especially when i dont have the machines in front of me...

do both machines logon ot the network?

what login types (windows network etc) do they both have?

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Dec 2002, 13:55   #7
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
You have said one is windows ME, and the other is ... ?

Is NetBIOS/NetBEUI installed on both? This is what windows uses for file sharing. Under 2K/XP, NetBIOS is carried over TCP by default, under ME its not.
Unread 13 Dec 2002, 15:57   #8
Ragnarak

both are winME

how do i check whether netbios is installed?

would i still be able to ping etc if it wasn't?
Unread 13 Dec 2002, 19:06   #9
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Yah ping is part of the tcp/ip suite so you could still ping if it wasnt installed.

Its a protocol that will appear / can be added under Networking in the control panel. (Im not sure of its exact location, as ive never used Win Me).
Unread 13 Dec 2002, 20:01   #10
w2k
all grown up

w2k is an unknown quantity at this point
ME is the hardest to network with, just make sure tcp/ip is installed as its not always done by default.
Unread 13 Dec 2002, 20:21   #11
Ragnarak

added netbieu protocol and it's all happy and working

ta RR and everyone else