User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:01   #1
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
the Atkin's diet

what's the deal with this thing? everywhere I go there's sign's saying that this item is Atkin's friendly, and that item is Atkin's friendly, and the item over there is Atkin's friendly. IT's rather annoying...and surely this diet isn't "all that and a bag of chips", as a Jerry Springer guest would say, is it?
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:04   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: the Atkin's diet

Carbs are your enemy! So basically Atkins friendly means no carbs, or low carb.

As for how good it is, I did it for two weeks and lost 1 and a half stone. The results speak for themselves!
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:09   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It also causes serious liver and kidney damage.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:28   #4
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

oh yeah because it's really healthy to be obese
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:30   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
oh yeah because it's really healthy to be obese
It's healthier to be obese than to go on the Atkins diet for a reasonable length of time.

You're also ignoring the fact that the atkins diet ISN'T THE ONLY WAY OF LOSING WEIGHT.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:30   #6
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly_D
and surely this diet isn't "all that and a bag of chips",
All that and a big pile of bacon and eggs more like, given chips dont fit in with the 'no-carbs' idea. I knew a girl who was on it, and she didnt really seem to be losing weight much. She would usually have a couple of sausages for breakfast (well, the at-work breakfast, as we all started at either 7 or 8 there was usually a breakfast run done at about 9-9:30 when we all got the most unhealthy things we could find. I was a great fan of their sausage and egg barms or the cheese on toast, which I've never been able to make taste quite the same. But I'm rambling...)

I'm not sure if its any good, but I'm not too convinced by the overall premise.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:32   #7
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Hehe,it's just calorie counting by another name. Fats and Protein calories replace Carbohydrate calories.
Grudgingly some doctors are accepting that its not seriously damaging to health for short periods of time. Though any weight -loss diet is usually bad for you long term.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:32   #8
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
You're also ignoring the fact that the atkins diet ISN'T THE ONLY WAY OF LOSING WEIGHT.
No I'm not.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:34   #9
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

Apparently the protein is the reason for it's success. It works the same a normal diet in that you just eat less calories, but the protein is the reason for not being hungry.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:37   #10
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

Except that in most cases protien is accompanied by lots of fat, and its not really too heavy on telling you to stick to the leaner cuts. I havent really studied all the literature, but given it generally comments on being able to have sausage, bacon and eggs for breakfast and the like, thats hardly going to suddenly be healthy cause you skipped the slice of toast with it. Plus it tends to lead to a shortage of vitamins cause so many fruit and veg are restricted.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:39   #11
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

You can have vitamin's in pill form nowadays.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:48   #12
Ebany
Cute Kitten

And its a good thing too or I dread to think what kind of problems Mark would have by now on his pizza, milk and fish pie diet.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:48   #13
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

as long as he varies the pizza flavour....
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:50   #14
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Generally pepperoni, ham and pineapple or cheese.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 19:54   #15
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

The people who diss the Atkins diet for its unhealthiness usually either have skim read the book briefly or (more likely) are just regurggitating the garbage that the skeptical so-called "experts" are spewing forth.

Sure, you can do it unhealthily, by sticking to bacon, eggs, cheese and a big dollup of mayonnaise on top but if you actually read the book it says that your main emphasis should be on vegetables like peppers, mushrooms and lettuce. Especially after the first two weeks when your intake of vegetables is not so restricted. So if you actually read the advice, and stick to it, it is a healthy diet.

Sausages have quite a lot carbs in them too, so whoever's eating them on the diet is doing something wrong.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 20:02   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
The people who diss the Atkins diet for its unhealthiness usually either have skim read the book briefly or (more likely) are just regurggitating the garbage that the skeptical so-called "experts" are spewing forth.
DAMN MEDICAL COMMUNITY, TELLING US WHAT'S GOOD FOR US!
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 20:07   #17
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

the atkins diet, more like putting down the fork diet, am i rite
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:00   #18
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
It also causes serious liver and kidney damage.
Has actually not been proven.

Turns out they were unfounded claims, overreactionary statements only if people like seriously gorged themselves in an improbable way on protein etc.

Just like how alcohol could be said to cause serious liver damage. Only in excess.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:04   #19
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
It's healthier to be obese than to go on the Atkins diet for a reasonable length of time.

It's only healthy to be slightly overweight, being obese is better than being underweight etc. It's all relative the end of is that being obese isn't a good thing in total.

The atkins diet if followed correctly is fine, Eat everything but carbs and heavily saturated foodstuff. They've done studies and shown that people on these high protein diets lost weight because their hunger was saited and hence didnt' eat as much as when eating carb products.

Also a lot of carb products out there are usually used in recipes with high calorie high fat ingredients. Crisps would be a carb thing most people couldn't have, it makes sense people won't get fat if you put them on a diet where they can't eat crisps or chips dunnit?

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:06   #20
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Carbs are your enemy! So basically Atkins friendly means no carbs, or low carb.

As for how good it is, I did it for two weeks and lost 1 and a half stone. The results speak for themselves!
Its called water weight, fatty.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:10   #21
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

so if its so good for you, how come hospitals refuse to have it as part of their meals?
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:11   #22
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
so if its so good for you, how come hospitals refuse to have it as part of their meals?
Cause hopsitals are shit rr, from general experience they prefer cheap costing food over anyone's health.

You never head about patients who lost 4 stones at hospitals cause they couldn't eat the food etc?

I think this was a v poor analogy rr.

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:14   #23
Intrepid00

Really, you must have poor crappy hospitals.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:16   #24
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Really, you must have poor crappy hospitals.
British Hospitals aare notoriously inconsistent.

Most of them are shit, I should know from family stories of those who have worked in them.

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:22   #25
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
Cause hopsitals are shit rr, from general experience they prefer cheap costing food over anyone's health.

You never head about patients who lost 4 stones at hospitals cause they couldn't eat the food etc?

I think this was a v poor analogy rr.
no, i am talking about the fact that the hospital nutritional specialists have said that this diet isnt allowed as it isnt balanced, so not really a poor analogy, more the literal truth.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:23   #26
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
no, i am talking about the fact that the hospital nutritional specialists have said that this diet isnt allowed as it isnt balanced, so not really a poor analogy, more the literal truth.
Of course it isn't balanced it asks you to cut out food groups.

That's like arguing a political party that isn't central isn't a good party.

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:24   #27
Intrepid00

They must be, this on is in like the top 10 most dangerious cities in america.

http://lvhhn.org/locations/cedarcrest.shtml

That picture does not justice:/ Its actually proably 5x bigger then the picture presents and is at least 1 miles long.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:29   #28
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Haha, MrL shows himself to propogate lies yet again.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:31   #29
Intrepid00

Oh, as for hospitals not offering it. They purposly put lots of fats, and carbs in the food and other stuff because you need it to get better and whe your in a hospital its not time to be putting your body on the strain of a diet.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:37   #30
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Haha, MrL shows himself to propogate lies yet again.
He's like a slightly slimmer Michael Moore.

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 21:39   #31
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Oh, as for hospitals not offering it. They purposly put lots of fats, and carbs in the food and other stuff because you need it to get better and whe your in a hospital its not time to be putting your body on the strain of a diet.
That as well.

Seems Guinness makes you a dumb ass who thinks they know better.

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:16   #32
Ebany
Cute Kitten

While I will admit I havent thoroughly read the literature, and I am sure there are a lot of people who are on the atkins diet with no problems (be it because they are following it exactly correctly or not), the fact remains there have been a number of cases reported where it has caused severe problems, which isn't something you see about, for example, the weight watchers or slimming world diets. The fact that it can have quite such bad effects if you do it wrong would be enough to put me off, cause I know I dont exactly have the best willpower in the world, and ending up in hospital cause I ate the wrong thing (or didnt eat the right thing) doesn't really appeal too much. I know a number of people who have tired it, some it worked for, some it seemed to do nothing, I;m glad to say I don't know anyone directly who has had a bad response. However, the girl at work who was on it did warn anyone who asked her about it to read up on it carefully first and be careful to do it properly.

While I know in any diet, watching what you eat is important, I dont want it to have such bad consequenses if I give in to a craving.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:20   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Has actually not been proven.

Turns out they were unfounded claims, overreactionary statements only if people like seriously gorged themselves in an improbable way on protein etc.

Just like how alcohol could be said to cause serious liver damage. Only in excess.
'The PCRM's Paul Robinson outlined concerns the group associated with the diet. He was flanked by family members of some of the deceased people who had been on the Atkins Diet.

Robinson called on the US health authorities to open an investigation into the deaths that he said were associated with the diet regime.

Neal Barnard, a fellow PCRM doctor, presented a preliminary report on the effects of the diet.

The PCRM report claimed to show that 42 percent of some 188 high protein dieters, who contacted the PCRM, had described an energy loss, 22 percent had experienced kidney problems including severe kidney infections, and 20 percent had reported heart-related problems.

"We cannot affirm that this regime led to death," Barnard said, but he said there was enough evidence to merit an inquiry as enough people had reported health problems to spark concern.'

Of course, that's completely ignoring the studies which all show that the atkins diet has EXACTLY the same effectiveness as a regular diet, in terms of losing weight and keeping it off, which is really what you want.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:32   #34
roadrunner_0
cynic

you say MrL shows himself up sunday, but you are no better, so i dont know how you can really say anything.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:36   #35
Evergreen
the merciless

I could prolly find the same stats for alcohol and eating balanced diets.

If you eat in excess unsensibly it's your fault not the diets.

And yes all studies show it has the same effectiveness as a regular diet. Regular diets replace taste foods with bland carb foods though. Likewise I find it's more tempting to eat chips and crisps when you are allowed carbs in your diet etc.

The atkins diet is popular cause out of all the diets is prolly has the kindest clearest, any idiot can obey, guidelines.

I mean regular diets require you to constantly examine how your food is prepared and stuff. Atkins diet allows you just to rule out a food group which is highly abused imo.

Anyway you cannot confirm which leads to my calls that the fears are not proven. Unfounded is debateable perhaps I'll take a wait and see attitude on this.

Certainly taking the atkins diet is no more dangerous than choosing to consume alcohol in your lifestyle.

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:38   #36
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
you say MrL shows himself up sunday, but you are no better, so i dont know how you can really say anything.
He's founding his argument in strawman stuff.

Oh look this happened to this amount of people in a non official study ignoring the fact that we may not be able to prove if they had previous heart of kidney complaints etc etc.

As with all diets you do need to see a doctor first as well.

I think it's freaking well pathetic to blame atkins for anything at this stage.

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:55   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
He's founding his argument in strawman stuff.

Oh look this happened to this amount of people in a non official study ignoring the fact that we may not be able to prove if they had previous heart of kidney complaints etc etc.

As with all diets you do need to see a doctor first as well.

I think it's freaking well pathetic to blame atkins for anything at this stage.
You're either trolling or very very stupid. And I know it's the former.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 22:57   #38
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
And yes all studies show it has the same effectiveness as a regular diet. Regular diets replace taste foods with bland carb foods though. Likewise I find it's more tempting to eat chips and crisps when you are allowed carbs in your diet etc.
No, not that it has the same effectiveness, that it has the same LASTING EFFECT (percentage of users who keep the weight off). You're the one who's strawmanning my lad.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 23:39   #39
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

how to loose weight

eat less+
move more
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 23:41   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
how to loose weight

eat less+
move more
As I've said before, the only guaranteed way to lose weight is to use more energy than you take in.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 23:45   #41
roadrunner_0
cynic

oh, one more thing sunday you are currently sitting on 36(ish) posts a day
so you can really call MrL out on spamming when you are possibly the biggest spammer that this place has seen in a while
a long while at that.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 23:48   #42
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
oh, one more thing sunday you are currently sitting on 36(ish) posts a day
so you can really call MrL out on spamming when you are possibly the biggest spammer that this place has seen in a while
a long while at that.
Where oh Where oh Where oh where have I mentioned spamming in this thread?

Btw, Spamming refers to posts of little to next to no information. Not to your postcount per day.

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 23:50   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Btw, Spamming refers to posts of little to next to no information. Not to your postcount per day.
That's a bad classification, because then someone making a thread in which he, say, asks for information on the Warsaw Pact is only giving us the information that he doesn't know very much about the Warsaw Pact.
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 23:50   #44
roadrunner_0
cynic

yes, but you are deliberatly provoking arguments rather than posting normally, it might be nice if you didnt try and be controversial/have a go at mark/have an argument in every thread

just a thought
Unread 23 Jan 2004, 23:51   #45
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
As I've said before, the only guaranteed way to lose weight is to use more energy than you take in.
You haven't mentioned before, it isn't the only guranteed way (Liposuction for example.) and this is about the atkins diet in comparison to other diets.

As a diet it's certainly a lot easier to follow that a points system or a calorie counting system and get's the same results and also allows for taste.

Let's remember the jist of this thread please.

Unread 23 Jan 2004, 23:57   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
You haven't mentioned before,
I remember mentioning it in the thread about MM getting thin. It'll be there if you search for it.

Quote:
it isn't the only guranteed way (Liposuction for example.) and this is about the atkins diet in comparison to other diets.

As a diet it's certainly a lot easier to follow that a points system or a calorie counting system and get's the same results and also allows for taste.

Let's remember the jist of this thread please.
I'm discounting liposuction because it's a semisurgical shortcut. It's not so much a case of 'losing weight', because you know where it goes (to make soap).

And I wouldn't say that getting the same results as regular dieting counts in its favour; if the atkins diet was 'so easy' you'd get a larger % of successful dieters (success being defined as the weight coming off and STAYING OFF, for a period of at least a year or so). Indeed, the marketing tends to suggest that it's more effective.

In addition, even if it did get exactly the same results, I would hesistate to put people on a diet which is extremely dodgy on health grounds. 'It's only bad if you misuse it' you may say, but even if that was true, there isn't a similar danger for the more 'traditional' methods, and given they have exactly the same effectiveness, I don't think it's worth the risk.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:00   #47
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
I remember mentioning it in the thread about MM getting thin. It'll be there if you search for it.

I'm discounting liposuction because it's a semisurgical shortcut. It's not so much a case of 'losing weight', because you know where it goes (to make soap).

And I wouldn't say that getting the same results as regular dieting counts in its favour; if the atkins diet was 'so easy' you'd get a larger % of successful dieters (success being defined as the weight coming off and STAYING OFF, for a period of at least a year or so). Indeed, the marketing tends to suggest that it's more effective.

In addition, even if it did get exactly the same results, I would hesistate to put people on a diet which is extremely dodgy on health grounds. 'It's only bad if you misuse it' you may say, but even if that was true, there isn't a similar danger for the more 'traditional' methods, and given they have exactly the same effectiveness, I don't think it's worth the risk.
Unproven risks.

In the cases of people having problems on it I think you'll find there's prolly a lot of exceptions and that's why no goverment has come right out and banned it which they would.

The american goverment you will find is a lot more hastier to ban things than us here, for example aspartame which you find in a lot of our soft drinks and even walkers crisps is banned over in america cause of the small risk of cancer it causes etc.

As with all diets, see your doctor first before you take on one, because you may ALREADY have a medical condition that may get exagerrated/accelerated by adopting any change in lifestyle.

Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:04   #48
alastair18

alastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
amputate something
alastair18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:05   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Unproven risks.
Even if there was only a 50% chance that the risks even EXISTED, let alone a 50% chance that people might fall ill, I wouldn't advise people going onto it, because it offers no actual benefits in the long run and in some respects may hinder weight loss (getting it off is the easy bit; keeping it off is the hard part, and there may be a psychological incentive to 'pig out' on carbo when you reached the desired weight), although that's supposition.
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 00:07   #50
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Even if there was only a 50% chance that the risks even EXISTED, let alone a 50% chance that people might fall ill, I wouldn't advise people going onto it, because it offers no actual benefits in the long run and in some respects may hinder weight loss (getting it off is the easy bit; keeping it off is the hard part, and there may be a psychological incentive to 'pig out' on carbo when you reached the desired weight), although that's supposition.
Read the last part of that post you quoted.

Provide me the evidence that these 'test' studies were in anyway official, I think he's just picking from a bunch of uncontrolled test subjects tbh.