User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 9 May 2006, 03:07   #1
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Sony E3 Conference Concludes

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149470 is the summary.

Basically, the PS3 controller looks like a normal dual shock. It's wireless (obviously) but also has "six degrees of movement". Seems like a deliberate grab for part of Nintendo's thunder with the Wii (Revolution).

They also announced the launch and pricing information.

17th November for US/Europe

Two Configurations:

20GB Harddrive - $499
60GB Harddrive - $599

Replace the $ with € for Euro price.

Anyone else feel Sony have dropped the ball abit? Seemed quite lacklustre.

One of the best quotes was "Don't you just love surprises?"

Gosh

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 03:16   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Sony E3 Conference Concludes

$100 for a 40gig harddrive what
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 03:22   #3
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
$100 for a 40gig harddrive what
Apparently so. The only difference they stated between the two configurations of PS3 is the difference in harddrive.

At least the Core/Premium difference for the Xbox 360 was a tad more noticeable.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 9 May 2006, 03:48   #4
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

The sad thing is they will make lots of money with it, and many people will claim that PS3 oh-so-rocks all other consoles.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 04:00   #5
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Sony in un-inspired copying-off-Nintendo SHOCKA!
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 04:12   #6
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
Sony in un-inspired copying-off-Nintendo SHOCKA!
I honestly thought Sony would take this year's E3 by storm.

The fact the Sony speakers had to entice the audience for applause just shows how dreadful the conference for them was.

It was deathly silent. I laughed when I saw the controller. I thought "that looks like a PS2 controller!!!"

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 9 May 2006, 05:09   #7
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

When I can afford it I shall be buying an xbox 360
Unread 9 May 2006, 06:27   #8
Zh|l
Inquisitor

It appears the "cheap" PS3 is actually crippled more than first thought.

Contains a few missing features - lacking ports that the more expensive one has. Most important loss is really the HDMI port and inbuild WiFi. Indicated in the Sony Press Release in pdf on their site but not really highlighted so fairly hard to miss (wasn't mentioned in the conference)

This is surprising, especially since the Core system was at least upgradeable.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 9 May 2006, 11:40   #9
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zh|l
Anyone else feel Sony have dropped the ball abit? Seemed quite lacklustre.
While what we've seen so far isn't too impressive I still think that Sony's legion of fans will still go out and buy this console in droves.
Unread 9 May 2006, 11:45   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I feel sorry that Ethan apparently wasn't allowed to go
Unread 9 May 2006, 13:57   #11
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

As a previous Sony fanyboy, I am a bit dissapointed. :/

My money will be going on the Wii or an Xbox360. Maybe both.
Unread 10 May 2006, 17:07   #12
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4756625.stm

Well here is the Nintendo reply. I'm not convinced by the new controller but it sounds like it could be quite fun, two people having a mock sword fight in the middle of the living room and watching the characters fight it out on tv.
Unread 10 May 2006, 17:11   #13
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

The sword swinging think does look interesting. Never will someone have looked like such a prat playing a game since the dawn of the Eyetoy.
Unread 10 May 2006, 17:30   #14
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Strider
The sword swinging think does look interesting. Never will someone have looked like such a prat playing a game since the dawn of the Eyetoy.
a lot of people i've seen play games swung the controller around anyway.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2006, 17:59   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4756625.stm

Well here is the Nintendo reply.
The controller isn't the Nintendo reply. We've known about the controller for nearly a year, and that fact is one of the reasons that Sony calling their "tilt controller" an amazing innovation is so laughable.

There was no Nintendo reply because there didn't need to be. All they showed us was the games, and that their controller worked.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2006, 18:41   #16
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Quote:
I honestly thought Sony would take this year's E3 by storm.
Personally, I had fairly low expectations, due to Sony disappointing again and again the last year or so. All in all, the show was more or less as I had anticipated, allthough I hoped they would have some bigger news.

What I found extremely amusing is how they didn't include rumble feature for the controller, and claimed it was because this wouldn't work with the new tilt-controller thingy, while anyone in the know knows this is because they lost in court against Immersion... Linky (the first one I could find on short notice): http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/ar...gh_up_90m.html
Also, IIRC correctly, they are not allowed to produce any more of the current GTA, MGS, FF etc games for the PS2, as they are all part of the patent infringment.

Otherwise, I was very pleased by the MGS4 trailer, and I was also fairly satisfied by the list of third-party developers they showed at the end of the conference. Very nice jab at Nintendo and their so-called "extensive third-party support". I don't believe that before I see it
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2006, 19:43   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukePaul
Also, IIRC correctly, they are not allowed to produce any more of the current GTA, MGS, FF etc games for the PS2, as they are all part of the patent infringment.
Sony don't make any of those games.

Quote:
I was also fairly satisfied by the list of third-party developers they showed at the end of the conference. Very nice jab at Nintendo and their so-called "extensive third-party support". I don't believe that before I see it
THQ, Midway, Hudson Soft, AQ Interactive, Majesco, Activision, Taito, Buena Vista, Atari, Square Enix, Konami, Natsume, Electronic Arts, Retro, Mastiff, Namco Bandai, Ubisoft, Capcom, KOEI, Sega, Tecmo and Milestone currently have games announced for the Wii.

Seems like reasonable third party support to me.
Unread 10 May 2006, 22:07   #18
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
I feel sorry that Ethan apparently wasn't allowed to go
But he did put the Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude out of commission.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2006, 22:14   #19
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I tried watching the Sony press conference this evening. I got about 40 minutes in and was bored out of my mind. It was like watching some kind of stockholders meeting
We shall remember them.
Unread 10 May 2006, 22:16   #20
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I tried watching the Sony press conference this evening. I got about 40 minutes in and was bored out of my mind. It was like watching some kind of stockholders meeting
Oooh....link please.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2006, 22:22   #21
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/index.html

scroll down about half way down and on the right you can watch all the press conferences
We shall remember them.
Unread 10 May 2006, 23:32   #22
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'm still buying one.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2006, 23:54   #23
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
The controller isn't the Nintendo reply. We've known about the controller for nearly a year, and that fact is one of the reasons that Sony calling their "tilt controller" an amazing innovation is so laughable.

There was no Nintendo reply because there didn't need to be. All they showed us was the games, and that their controller worked.
True. Whilst the Nintendo conference was rather lacking on solid information (such as a proper release date or pricing information) it just seemed to have a better atmosphere than the Sony one by miles. There were no asking for applause, it happened naturally.

It just seemed fun and watching the Nintendo Highups play on the Wii at the end for the doubles tennis was a laugh.

It's made me more intrigued by the controller now, which is more than last year where I'd pretty much discounted the possibility of getting a Wii. Im more convinced now to part money for one even if only for the new Zelda (I know there's a Cube version), new Mario, Metroid and Red Steel.

PS3 failed to impress, the conference was fairly boring with the main highlight being the MGS4 Trailer although I admit I found that Eye of Judgement interesting (but no way am I buying a cards ontop). The PS3 just seems overpriced to me,but then again, it was expected for awhile.

Microsoft Conference went pretty much as expected - with some solid titles for the 360. The Live Anywhere looks interesting but that wont really been seen till Vista kicks off. Gears of War looks ace and the Halo 3 being pure ingame already shows that the PS3/360 graphical ability really doesn't seem far apart as Sony would like.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 11 May 2006, 10:29   #24
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Xbox 360 has won this round it seems, and it would have failed if it wasnt for that oh so lovely bowl cut
Unread 11 May 2006, 12:32   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
Xbox 360 has won this round it seems
The X360 is the only one that has been released. Noone's won anything yet, although Sony are trying ever so hard to lose.
Unread 11 May 2006, 12:33   #26
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Despite all the fuss about the Wii controller and lack of Sony innovation I just want a new version of my PS2. It has served me well over the years, I had a Game Cube, X-Box and PS2 at one stage, the X-Box and Game Cube ended up at Cash Converters after about 12 months but my PS2 is still used regularly.

Just give me better graphics and performance, wireless controllers that work (I don't care if they 'rumble' or not), the ability to play online, a new Gran Turismo, GTA and Pro Evo and I will have no choice other then to fork out for a PS3.
Unread 11 May 2006, 12:35   #27
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

So what your saying is you want exactly the same as what you've had for the last 6 years, just slightly prettier?

Sounds like a PS3 would suit you perfectly
We shall remember them.
Unread 11 May 2006, 12:36   #28
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
So what your saying is you want exactly the same as what you've had for the last 6 years, just slightly prettier?

Yes. And i'm probably not the only one.
Unread 11 May 2006, 12:40   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
Despite all the fuss about the Wii controller and lack of Sony innovation I just want a new version of my PS2. It has served me well over the years, I had a Game Cube, X-Box and PS2 at one stage, the X-Box and Game Cube ended up at Cash Converters after about 12 months but my PS2 is still used regularly.
The technical performance of the thing is utterly irrelevent compared to the games that were on it. If you preferred Mario Kart: Double Dash, Super Smash Brothers Melee and Eternal Darkness to your top 3 PS2 games, for example, then your PS2 would be, at best, gathering dust. Furthermore, innovation drives the industry along. Would you have liked your PS2 as much if it didn't have analogue sticks (popularised by the N64)? Would you have liked it as much if it didn't have shoulder buttons (popularised by the SNES)? Would you liked it as much if it didn't use the D-Pad (NES this time)? At every step along the way, people have started complaining about how they're fine with what they've got, but innovation does become the new orthodoxy very quickly if it works, and this one looks like it will work.

Furthermore, the lack of Sony innovation wasn't the issue, it's the fact that they copied the Wii controller and then called it Sony innovation, after already releasing a much-criticised PS3 controller last summer. There's plenty of innovation, from a technical standpoint, in the PS3 - it's just it's debatable how much this will affect playing on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
Just give me better graphics and performance, wireless controllers that work (I don't care if they 'rumble' or not), the ability to play online, a new Gran Turismo, GTA and Pro Evo and I will have no choice other then to fork out for a PS3.
Just so you know, GTA4 will not be a PS3 exclusive, and will have exclusive bonus content over Xbox-live.

[edit]

And half of those requirements are fulfilled by the Gamecube :laffo:
Unread 11 May 2006, 13:03   #30
PSH
Registered Abuser

Quote:
The technical performance of the thing is utterly irrelevent compared to the games that were on it. If you preferred Mario Kart: Double Dash, Super Smash Brothers Melee and Eternal Darkness to your top 3 PS2 games, for example, then your PS2 would be, at best, gathering dust.
I know games sell/make a console, which is why I ended up with all three consoles. I wanted to play Halo and Mario Kart (I still have my SNES for that reason) but I just found that the PS2 had more titles that interested me as time went on.

Quote:
Furthermore, innovation drives the industry along. Would you have liked your PS2 as much if it didn't have analogue sticks (popularised by the N64)? Would you have liked it as much if it didn't have shoulder buttons (popularised by the SNES)? Would you liked it as much if it didn't use the D-Pad (NES this time)? At every step along the way, people have started complaining about how they're fine with what they've got, but innovation does become the new orthodoxy very quickly if it works, and this one looks like it will work.
I understand the need for innovation and discovery otherwise we would still be living in caves too scared to go outside etc. but I'm not really interested in waving something about or moving around when I'm gaming, I'm happy to sit there using buttons on a pad (as sad as it is, maybe it's my age?).

Also I avoid the use of the analogue sticks whenever possible providing it doesn't effect my performance but understand the need for them and more buttons were inevitable with the event of more complex games being released.

Quote:
Furthermore, the lack of Sony innovation wasn't the issue, it's the fact that they copied the Wii controller and then called it Sony innovation, after already releasing a much-criticised PS3 controller last summer. There's plenty of innovation, from a technical standpoint, in the PS3 - it's just it's debatable how much this will affect playing on it.
When I said lack of innovation I meant Sony not coming up with anything revolutionary and taking what Nintendo had done and called it their own.

Quote:
Just so you know, GTA4 will not be a PS3 exclusive, and will have exclusive bonus content over Xbox-live.

[edit]

And half of those requirements are fulfilled by the Gamecube :laffo:
I don't mind this, I just feel Sony will offer me more of the games I want and Nintendo has always offered too much kiddy/manga looking content that doesn't interest me in the slightest.
Unread 11 May 2006, 13:07   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

That's up to you, of course. I've only found a couple of games interesting on the PS2 at all.
Unread 11 May 2006, 13:59   #32
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
I don't mind this, I just feel Sony will offer me more of the games I want and Nintendo has always offered too much kiddy/manga looking content that doesn't interest me in the slightest.
Yeah Resident Evil and Metroid Prime are kiddish, unlike adult stuff like Eye toy.
Unread 11 May 2006, 14:11   #33
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future

Nobody likes a fanboy

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2006, 14:46   #34
PSH
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
Yeah Resident Evil and Metroid Prime are kiddish, unlike adult stuff like Eye toy.
I know the PS2 has a share in the kiddy market but I feel the Playstation titles are aimed at a more mature and European market which I happen to fall into.

I just googled for the top 20 games for the PS2 and Game Cube and it kind of backs up my feelings:

Game Cube

FIFA WORLD CUP GERMANY 2006
SONIC RIDERS
MARIO PARTY 7
ICE AGE 2: THE MELTDOWN
POKEMON XD: GALE OF DARKNESS
NEED FOR SPEED: MOST WANTED
MARIO SMASH FOOTBALL
FIFA STREET 2 (Not that interested in this but it is a football game so )
SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS & FRIENDS
THE SIMS 2
BATTALION WARS
DANCING STAGE MARIO MIX
LEGO STAR WARS
CRASH TAG TEAM RACING (Only because Mario Kart is my type of game, this is probably a poor imitation.)
ANIMAL CROSSING
PIKMIN 2
RESIDENT EVIL 4
CHICKEN LITTLE
DONKEY KONG: JUNGLE BEAT
FIRE EMBLEM: PATH OF RADIANCE

PS2

FIFA WORLD CUP GERMANY 2006
TOMB RAIDER: LEGEND
THE GODFATHER
BUZZ! THE BIG QUIZ
FIFA STREET 2
ICE AGE 2: THE MELTDOWN
BLACK
DRIVER: PARALLEL LINES
CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER 2006
DRAGON QUEST: JOURNEY OF THE CURSED KING
24: THE GAME
SOCOM 3: US NAVY SEALS
GUITAR HERO
TOCA RACE DRIVER 3
PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 5
BUZZ! THE MUSIC QUIZ
WWE SMACKDOWN! VS RAW 2006 (I know wrestling is fake and crap but anyone who has played a recent wrestling game will know what I'm talking about.)
TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: ADV WARFIGHTER
SONIC RIDERS
FIFA 06

Remember I'm not saying that this or that game is good or bad the (I would consider buying this game) and (This looks to kiddy/mangaish for me to look into it further) are just there to indicate if that particular type of game would appeal to me or not and the score is GC 7 vs PS2 14.

I understand this means nothing and is only my personal opinion but I was interested to see for myself too. I would be interested to see other peoples opinions of each consoles top 20.

Edit: Sorry if I'm going off topic a bit here.

Last edited by PSH; 11 May 2006 at 14:51.
PSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2006, 15:42   #35
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Quote:

Or the Xbox 360.

360 gets the new GTA and Pro Evo. (Not a new Gran Turismo but who are we kidding, it's not exactly going to come out any time soon is it)

I'm finding it sweet irony that Sony attempted to mock copy the Wii controller to some degree and Nintendo have just taken the best aspect of the Sony conference (Metal Gear Solid 4) and incorporated Snake into the new Smash Brothers. It's almost like they prepared for Sony's tactics and just delivered a sucker punch to the balls.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Unread 11 May 2006, 19:03   #36
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
I just googled for the top 20 games for the PS2 and Game Cube and it kind of backs up my feelings
What crazy top 20 is that? Top 20 random selection of games?

Why exactly does it matter what kind of games "dominate" a system anyway? I don't play a large variety of games, and if I spent all my time on the Gamecube playing Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime, and all my time on the PS2 playing Disgaea and We Love Katamari (as is the case*) then the only people who would really consider the former to be "kiddy" are those who think it matters what other people think of the games you play.

*Well, not so much Eternal Darkness, as it's a fairly limited game. But it's still a lovecraftian horror action/adventure game.
Unread 11 May 2006, 23:12   #37
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Quote:
I'm finding it sweet irony that Sony attempted to mock copy the Wii controller to some degree and Nintendo have just taken the best aspect of the Sony conference (Metal Gear Solid 4) and incorporated Snake into the new Smash Brothers. It's almost like they prepared for Sony's tactics and just delivered a sucker punch to the balls.
I guess we can call this the finishing move. Sony copies Nintendo controller (ok, not really, but still), so Nintendo just copy back
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2006, 01:50   #38
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:
I guess we can call this the finishing move. Sony copies Nintendo controller (ok, not really, but still), so Nintendo just copy back
I don't like the look of that controller. The analogue sticks are in the wrong place, just like the PS1/PS2/PS3. I hope I'll be able to use my Wavebird instead
We shall remember them.
Unread 12 May 2006, 08:06   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I don't like the look of that controller. The analogue sticks are in the wrong place, just like the PS1/PS2/PS3. I hope I'll be able to use my Wavebird instead
You will. That thing's designed for playing of NES/SNES games as much as N64/Gamecube, as it's a snes controller with analogue sticks.
Unread 12 May 2006, 09:23   #40
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
I hope I'll be able to use my Wavebird instead
This just gives me the image of someone with a huge seagull in their room waving it around at the TV screen
Unread 12 May 2006, 09:46   #41
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
This just gives me the image of someone with a huge seagull in their room waving it around at the TV screen
My housemates (women) were doing that with mario kart
Unread 12 May 2006, 10:01   #42
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

The truth.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2006, 10:06   #43
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
Yes. And i'm probably not the only one.
agreed, so when is PES6 out and whats it on first?
Unread 12 May 2006, 10:15   #44
PSH
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fish
agreed, so when is PES6 out and whats it on first?
November 2017, Gran Turismo 8, I hear Sony are working on a steering wheel and pedals youy can plug into the console!

I can't wait, it's going to rock!!

Quote:
What crazy top 20 is that? Top 20 random selection of games?
The first top 20 google threw at me yesterday.

Quote:
Why exactly does it matter what kind of games "dominate" a system anyway? I don't play a large variety of games, and if I spent all my time on the Gamecube playing Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime, and all my time on the PS2 playing Disgaea and We Love Katamari (as is the case*) then the only people who would really consider the former to be "kiddy" are those who think it matters what other people think of the games you play.

*Well, not so much Eternal Darkness, as it's a fairly limited game. But it's still a lovecraftian horror action/adventure game.
That is your choice, I was merely justifying mine.
Unread 12 May 2006, 10:49   #45
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNaga
already there

Unread 12 May 2006, 11:44   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
November 2017, Gran Turismo 8, I hear Sony are working on a steering wheel and pedals youy can plug into the console!

I can't wait, it's going to rock!!
PES6 (Pro Evolution Soccer 6) not PS6. Oh dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
The first top 20 google threw at me yesterday.
On closer inspection, it turns out to be the sales figures from this week.

You can keep your PS3, and your "the style of the game matters more than how fun it is to play".
Unread 12 May 2006, 12:02   #47
PSH
Registered Abuser

Quote:
PES6 (Pro Evolution Soccer 6) not PS6. Oh dear.
The perils of working and posting at the same time.

You can play Winning Eleven 10 on PS2 now which is basically Pro Evo 6 if you have it chipped or get one of these.
Unread 12 May 2006, 12:07   #48
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

pro evo is the best game for drinking games like ever
Unread 12 May 2006, 12:23   #49
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
pro evo is the best game for drinking games like ever
I disagree.
Unread 12 May 2006, 13:27   #50
Cannon_Fodder

Mario Party?