User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Nov 2003, 21:53   #1
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
Help..Big IRC problem

OK..we just got Broadband into the house (yey!) and because we have multiple computers using it, we have got a router...

The problem is that IRC wont connect thruough it

[20:48:12] *** Connecting to TrustNet.DE.EU.NetGamers.Org (6667)
-
Local host: <mycomputername> (www.xxx.yyy.zzz) <<not giving IP
-
* * ¤* (Server) • *** Looking up your hostname
* * ¤* (Server) • *** Found your hostname, cached
* * ¤* (Server) • *** Checking Ident

It gets as far as that and dosnt get any further..

Can anyone give advice as to what to do?? cos otherwise I beomce IRCless!

:Please help!!

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 21:55   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Help..Big IRC problem

Looks like your connection's being slooow.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 21:56   #3
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

How long have you waited at that stage? Sometimes I've known ti to pause there for quite a long time.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 21:57   #4
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

A fair while, not exactly sure how long...but shouldnt it be fast..everything else I do is really quick..just IRC that is causing the problem...

Unread 15 Nov 2003, 21:59   #5
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Try to connect to a completely different server, say Undernet, and see if that works.

If it does it narrows down the problem to PA IRC, if Undernet, EFnet etc don't work you know it's something general at your end.

Try a CGI: IRC client if you can find one, see if that lets you connect (if that works, it means something in mirc needs to be configured)

Just keep trying different things to find out what the problem is.
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:02   #6
Marv
Jazz Man

Hmm...just dont understand why it is so slow..when everything else is fast..ive tried other servers..and they are about the same, ive had this problem for a few days and ive been trying everyhting i can think of..*sigh*

Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:03   #7
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Hmm...just dont understand why it is so slow..when everything else is fast..ive tried other servers..and they are about the same, ive had this problem for a few days and ive been trying everyhting i can think of..*sigh*

you tried different ports? doesn't one of the NG still work on port 80? (tis years since i used pa irc regularly)
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:03   #8
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

right
it's probably waiting for the ident request to timeout
if you enable ident (i presume you're using mIRC) and then make sure the necessary port is forwarded on your router, it should accept ident and you should be able to get on virtually straight away.
i had the same prob when i moved to broadband.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:05   #9
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom
right
it's probably waiting for the ident request to timeout
if you enable ident (i presume you're using mIRC) and then make sure the necessary port is forwarded on your router, it should accept ident and you should be able to get on virtually straight away.

<<er..could you explain that in nody language..??

Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:08   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

It means the server is checking your identity... check whether you are using a valid address.
It can take up to five minutes before it lets you in.
If it doesn't I don't know how you can fix it.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:11   #11
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
It means the server is checking your identity... check whether you are using a valid address.
It can take up to five minutes before it lets you in.
If it doesn't I don't know how you can fix it.
i think he was referring to the explanation of what he needs to do
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:12   #12
Marv
Jazz Man

i was :/

Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:39   #13
Ragnarak

Quote:
i was :/
do you know what port forwarding is?

as you set up a router i assume, but anyway, basically when an outside connection connects to your router, the router tells it which computer on the network to go to, depending on which port it tries to connect to

you need to look in mirc and make sure it's set to enable ident and then make sure the router is forwarding that port to your pc

if the router is an actual router you'll need to read the manual on port forwarding, if it's a pc acting as a router use the ICS program or something to forward the ports you need.
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:58   #14
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think you over-geeked that a tad for the man Rag.

You need to explain

1) Idents
2) Virtual Ports
3) Port forwarding
4) Routing
5) ICS

Then get into the techie-speak.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 23:06   #15
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
I think you over-geeked that a tad for the man Rag.

You need to explain

1) Idents
2) Virtual Ports
3) Port forwarding
4) Routing
5) ICS

Then get into the techie-speak.
no, i disagree, to fix the problem he doesn't need to know anything about all that

he needs to read his manual and find out that 'pressing button A will set router to forward port B to computer C"

once he's fixed the problem then he can twat around and learn properly what everything does if he wants.
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 23:10   #16
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

He may not need to know it, but if he doesn't know what any of those are he's ****ed anyway.

Besides, I had the same problem when I moved to BBand and I fixed it by leaving it until it connected, which was a whole 20 seconds, which even my extraordinarily fast paced lifestyle can deal with.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 23:30   #17
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

If you got Windows XP firewall in use then it will cause IRC to take forever to connect to the server and will remain at that exact same stage that you just stated.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 23:31   #18
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Netgamers should time out in 120 seconds I think, and then let you on anyway.
Most cheap naff routers as sold by PC World etc are barebones and wont support things like port-forwarding anyway so unless he's got an expensive one he's best off just waiting.

[techy explanation]
If you want to be clever like what we are, you'll set up an 'intelligent' router/firewall (is "stateful" the official term? can't remember). In simple terms, it looks at the traffic type and content and when it spots things it recognises it automatically figures out which PC on the network it's supposed to be going to.
This means that things like DirectPlay (the internet multiplayer system in DirectX, used by one hell of a lot of games), Ident, and other things which would normally need you to mess about with port forwarding setups "just work".
[/techy explanation]

Unread 16 Nov 2003, 04:55   #19
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Alternatively just wait to 30-90 seconds which is reasonably normal for this, and then it'll happily connect as normal.

If you want to get rid of the wait then do the things the people who posted first did.
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 09:08   #20
Marv
Jazz Man

I know how to port forward..the only problem now is that im having difuculty finding the Private Port so it knows were to go to..any ideas??

I'm on Xp Pro and all the ip addresses are being automatically assigned.

Unread 16 Nov 2003, 09:55   #21
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

i thought this thread was started by mary and i though 'woah girlz'

LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 15:18   #22
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I know how to port forward..the only problem now is that im having difuculty finding the Private Port so it knows were to go to..any ideas??

I'm on Xp Pro and all the ip addresses are being automatically assigned.

Simplest solution to that being to fix your IP - Just choose one outside the range that gets automatically assigned. :-)
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 15:57   #23
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I read your nick as Mary.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 18:24   #24
Marv
Jazz Man

great..everyone thinks im a girl ..

*sigh* 1 more problem to the list \o/