User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 31 Oct 2003, 06:46   #1
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Google Takeover

Non linked headline from drudge report : "MICROSOFT EYES GOOGLE TAKEOVER..."

how many people here would stop using google if this ever happened?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/31/te...partner=GOOGLE
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan

Last edited by cnaw; 31 Oct 2003 at 07:46. Reason: drudge added link, so i added link
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 09:27   #2
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Google Takeover

One can not stop what they never started.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 10:04   #3
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd only stop using Google if there was a superior alternative, or if it just became really crap. I'm not sure if it really matters which bunch of venture capitalists end up owning the majority of the stock.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 10:19   #4
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Yeah, as long as it still worked fine I'd continue to use it.
Even if Satan himself owned it.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 10:22   #5
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Microsoft try and take over everyone. They targetted Squaresoft and Sega when they were working on the XBOX.

If google have any sense they'd email [email protected] subject: FOAD.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 11:43   #6
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I thought Microsoft had interests in google already...
In fact when google first arrived wasn't it affiliated with microsoft?
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 11:48   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It was a Stanford Uni project wasn't it?

Besides people who say they'd stop using Google because it was affiliated in some way with MS need to be culled for their stupidity.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 11:50   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
It was a Stanford Uni project wasn't it?

Besides people who say they'd stop using Google because it was affiliated in some way with MS need to be culled for their stupidity.
It's like Linux people (not #linux people) who refuse to use microsoft products because OMG MICROSFOT R EEVILLL!!!!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 11:51   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ignorant elitism =(
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 12:06   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Ignorant elitism =(
It's ignorant, but I don't think it's elitism (well, not always). It's just a mistaken view on how things work. People see a company doing morally objectional things (e.g. monopolistic practices) and think it must be due to immoral people running the company, or a bad company culture or something. They don't realise that if we could somehow change history and IBM or Apple were in MS' position they'd have been just as bad (if not worse).

Some companies do seem to be more evil than others of course. So my own take on boycotting is thus : If there's an (almost) equally good alternative from a less evil company I'll go for that.

So today I'm going to buy a pair of boots with some money I won recently. I won't buy Catepillar boots due to their labour-relations record, I'll go with any of the other fine alternatives.

While Google remain the best search engine around, I'll stay with them, as I say. If MS start to **** up the service (as some people suspect they will) by putting Messenger ads all over the place, and obnoxious banners, I simply won't use it.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 12:08   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

I'll continue to use Google until the point at which the results it's returning become meaningless crap.

Or I could Yahoo! lol!
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 12:17   #12
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
It's ignorant, but I don't think it's elitism (well, not always). It's just a mistaken view on how things work. People see a company doing morally objectional things (e.g. monopolistic practices) and think it must be due to immoral people running the company, or a bad company culture or something. They don't realise that if we could somehow change history and IBM or Apple were in MS' position they'd have been just as bad (if not worse).

Some companies do seem to be more evil than others of course. So my own take on boycotting is thus : If there's an (almost) equally good alternative from a less evil company I'll go for that.
The Bill Gates foundation gives quite a lot to charity. The total of grants to date are apparently $4.8 billion. I wouldn't say they are necessarily evil. Just rich.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 12:21   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
The Bill Gates foundation gives quite a lot to charity. The total of grants to date are apparently $4.8 billion. I wouldn't say they are necessarily evil. Just rich.
That's very admirable, I'm sure. I'm not sure what proportion of disposable wealth this equates to for the Gates though. Perhaps I am still stuck in a proleterian mindset, but I don't see why billionaires boast about giving money to charity. I presume once you get to the stage of over x million dollars, there's no real (personal) use for money. I mean, once you can afford $1000 per hour call-girls for the rest of your life 24/7, who cares?

But either way, I don't think Bill Gates is evil. And I'm typing this on a MS (sorry M$) keyboard in either case.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 12:53   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't think he does boast. He just gives it. As far as I'm aware, it's generally the recipients who make it known.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 13:02   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Only a communist would make altruism evil.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 13:09   #16
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

ITS EVUL MONEH

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 13:14   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Its not altruism it's paternalism. The poor don't want to live on handouts, they just don't want to be ground down by the machinery of capitalism (which is oiled by the blood of the workers)
Why are you turning all charity into the giving of handouts to the poor when that's quite obviously not the case?
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 13:19   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I see you've got a very balanced point of view here.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 16:18   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I admit that there exists a possibly of supposedly altruistic acts being caused by other means, but to deny the possibility of altruism is an absolutism that I haven't subscribed to.

[edit]

May I draw the attention of the court to the fact that you're doing exactly the same in the other thread.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 31 Oct 2003 at 16:31.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 16:26   #20
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

Rich = Evil
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 17:33   #21
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point

Microsoft would probably make it a pay site.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 17:39   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Indeed, like they've made MSN Messenger and the MSN Chatrooms a pay service. Like they've made their online servers a pay service.

Hold on a second...
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 19:04   #23
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

I dont care about all the arguments here.
Microsoft should not own the most important web searching tool, for everyone's sake they've got enough influence already on the whole market. I hope the google owners realize they play a very important role in more than just their own bank account
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 19:16   #24
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
Or I could Yahoo! lol!
Yahoo! search IS Google

Anyway, only 15% of Google is being offered on the market. Not exactly enough for a takeover!
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 19:35   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
It is possible to believe one is being altrusitic when one is actually being paternalistic. For instance Marie Antoinette held parties for "the poor folk", now she did this out of the goodness of her heart but clearly the sheer tastelessness and insensitvity of this act beggars belief.

Similarly you cannot divulge yourself of your responsibility to the poor by putting a few coins in a box, we owe the poor therefore charity is self-felating.
Again, you're assuming all charity targets the poor.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 21:05   #26
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I don't think he does boast. He just gives it. As far as I'm aware, it's generally the recipients who make it known.
I wasn't referring to him personally but :

"The foundation was created in January 2000 [...] the Seattle-based foundation has an endowment of approximately $25 billion through the personal generosity of Bill and Melinda Gates."
http://www.gatesfoundation.org/AboutUs/

From the Foundation website. I'm sure he could have kept it all anonymous, or called the foundation something other than his own bloody name. When I'm a benovelent billionaire I'm going to call my foundation the "Dante Hicks Fund for Helping Those Less Fortunate, Aren't I Wonderful?"

And most charity does tend to target the poor, or needy. Otherwise there wouldn't be much point. This particular foundation aims to achieve (or assist) in equit in health and education, which certainly implies charity for the poor.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 21:14   #27
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's like Linux people (not #linux people) who refuse to use microsoft products because OMG MICROSFOT R EEVILLL!!!!
I'm from #linux, I use Windows.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 21:19   #28
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

I'd stop using it if they put shitty popup ads all over it and made it generally commercial and crap, like 90% of MS's sites.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 21:20   #29
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf
I'm from #linux, I use Windows.
I think that's what he said
"not #linux people"

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 21:44   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom
I'd stop using it if they put shitty popup ads all over it and made it generally commercial and crap, like 90% of MS's sites.
Use... opera?
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 21:51   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Use... opera?
Then you can have some problems with stylesheets on some MS sites...
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 21:53   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
From the Foundation website. I'm sure he could have kept it all anonymous, or called the foundation something other than his own bloody name. When I'm a benovelent billionaire I'm going to call my foundation the "Dante Hicks Fund for Helping Those Less Fortunate, Aren't I Wonderful?"
I could defend him here, but I can't be bothered. Personally, I think this is a case when ends justify the means.
Unread 31 Oct 2003, 21:56   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Then you can have some problems with stylesheets on some MS sites...
That sounds like balshy talk to m... hold on a minute!