User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 31 Aug 2009, 04:29   #1
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute
Research Queuing

Yes, I know it's been brought up in the past, but how about this:

When a research finishes, if there are any other researches that have been started (then stopped and saved), then scientists will automatically carry on with the unfinished research.

You can still pick a different research if you're online, so you'll not get left researching a branch of the tech tree you didn't want to focus on if you're around to change it.

It also doesn't mean you can rush through one branch of a tech tree without being online to manually select the same branch.

Just a thought.
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 05:51   #2
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about
Re: Research Queuing

I think rewarding players for their activity is something we need to keep in the game. With this idea, you just need to start/stop what would be ur next in line research for one tick, then go afk for god knows how long.

I know alot of the semi actives out there would love this idea, but for players who spend a fair chunk of their time on this game, it simply meants 1 less way that they can prove they deserve their rank.

Sorry, u put alot of thought into the game which i respect, but for me, No.
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 07:01   #3
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

i'd be in favour of something where after a research completes, if a new one isn't started within a period of time (say 6 ticks?) the researchers would return to work on the next phase of the last research that finished. the empty period could be written off as some kind of a "coffee break" or something. the idea would be to put some kind of negative effect in there to keep people from utterly abusing it while still helping those that might oversleep or be away for an extended period.
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 08:21   #4
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

In full support of a research queue without penalties. Whether it would be that the last stopped research will be continued or you can select the one that is to be done next (like with constructions) - I don't mind.
The reason is quite obvious: player's game play experience improves by not having any stress put on them in real life, i.e. I don't have to start rescheduling all my research tasks just because I have suddenly a 4 hour meeting at work coming up (or a 4 hour exam at university, or ...).

People that want to check almost every tick still have the advantage on their fleet slot usage (launch - recall - relaunch anyone?), which is by far superior than being able to queue a research.
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 12:07   #5
MiX
Who cares?

MiX has a spectacular aura aboutMiX has a spectacular aura aboutMiX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
In full support of a research queue without penalties. Whether it would be that the last stopped research will be continued or you can select the one that is to be done next (like with constructions) - I don't mind.
The reason is quite obvious: player's game play experience improves by not having any stress put on them in real life, i.e. I don't have to start rescheduling all my research tasks just because I have suddenly a 4 hour meeting at work coming up (or a 4 hour exam at university, or ...).

People that want to check almost every tick still have the advantage on their fleet slot usage (launch - recall - relaunch anyone?), which is by far superior than being able to queue a research.
qft, and I am not the most inactive git myself. Activity is always rewarded, queueing research wont change that.
MiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 13:55   #6
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

As an inactive git what i do if i know i wont be on when a research is due to finish is change to a longer research . Having said that i've no problem with adding a queueing ability to research

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 14:42   #7
neroon

neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JungleMuffin] View Post
I think rewarding players for their activity is something we need to keep in the game.
lol.. well yeah it would b nice to reward ppl for activity, but pass last 2-3 rounds there`s been lots of changes that are taking it the other way around and rewarding unactive ppl :s
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 14:49   #8
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Just to offer a slight alternative which is somewhere between the suggested idea and the current implementation, it could be changed so that the current research type will always continue until you stop it.

So if you aren't around and a scan research finishes then it'll continue with the next in the scan line until you tell it to do something else. At least with this you won't have wasted hours, although it certainly won't be optimal.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 16:45   #9
VenoX

VenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
Just to offer a slight alternative which is somewhere between the suggested idea and the current implementation, it could be changed so that the current research type will always continue until you stop it.

So if you aren't around and a scan research finishes then it'll continue with the next in the scan line until you tell it to do something else. At least with this you won't have wasted hours, although it certainly won't be optimal.
This was something I suggested in my ally channel last night re: this topic. As an active player who has no qualms with getting up at all hours for PA, I am in favour of removing this EXTRA obstacle to my much needed sleep.
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 16:47   #10
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for it, and have been for a while.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 16:48   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I support anything that minimises the tedious parts of planetarion. My own suggestion would be that upgrading skips protection for you and gives you 72 instant ticks. God I'd pay for that.
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 16:54   #12
vuLgAr
Bi-Winning

vuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to allvuLgAr is a name known to all

I like the idea, maybe even multiple queuing could give that first 72 ticks more meaning whilst you plan out the order in which research and constructions are done.

H-A ODDR Apprime xVx VisioN HEROES Ultores
vuLgAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2009, 18:09   #13
Gabriel
Gabba gabba hey hey

Gabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2009, 14:09   #14
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

I support queuing researches. Rewarding players for being able to get up at 4am in the morning to start a research is utterly idiotic. The research / construction aspects of the game are not what keeps the game going. It's the battle aspect of the game where activity is and should be rewarded.
And while we're at it, we should cut the research times or maybe eliminate some research stages altogether, for example: 3 eta stages, remove the first infrastucture stage and start with 20 constructions limit, reduce jgp and au research times, reduce core extraction times for at least one of the latest phases. A long research path makes no sense in rounds that only last 7 weeks.
Unread 1 Sep 2009, 15:38   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I disagree with changing the tech tree, I don't see how it improves the game at all.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2009, 19:01   #16
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I disagree with removing protection, no matter for how it is done. I do agree it is boring, but there is a definate need for protection, at least for the newbie planets, and especially for planets that sign up later.
Unread 2 Sep 2009, 12:49   #17
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I disagree with changing the tech tree, I don't see how it improves the game at all.
I don't see what benefit it brings to the game to have to start with eta12 fi/co fleets - eta14 cr/bs fleets, waiting over 24 hours to have your fleets back home so you can attack again. As it is right now, it only forces you to stay couple hours late so you can launch an attack next day.
Unread 2 Sep 2009, 13:25   #18
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k View Post
I don't see what benefit it brings to the game to have to start with eta12 fi/co fleets - eta14 cr/bs fleets, waiting over 24 hours to have your fleets back home so you can attack again. As it is right now, it only forces you to stay couple hours late so you can launch an attack next day.
It brings you choice, and that is what a game mainly consists of. Choosing between options and then see how the outcome will be.
Unread 2 Sep 2009, 13:41   #19
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
It brings you choice, and that is what a game mainly consists of. Choosing between options and then see how the outcome will be.
Well, it's a matter of personal opinion, but i think 3 eta research stages are better and don't take away the main choice you usually make (BS/ CR hulls vs ETA, is still a choice that has to be made at the start).
Unread 2 Sep 2009, 14:42   #20
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

my only contribution would be to change the 1st infrastructure to 25 cons. i mean really, it steps 10 20 50 100 150. who the heck thought up 20, it doesn't even fit. :-(
Unread 3 Sep 2009, 03:48   #21
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post

The most sensible approach. I support your idea