User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 8 May 2016, 10:23   #101
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold
Re: r66 Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
If, as you say, there's no correlation, then that conclusion is unwarranted.
My conclusion was very specifically 'deserved' i.e. I think that such activity should be better rewarded than it was and as such had little to do with facts and much to do with opinion. Your post comes close to being a contradiction - you are saying that it would be unjustified for me to think that bows should have done better yet surely such activity would have justified a higher position had it happened. If they had come first or second and the only information available to you on the round were those figures would you have said that the position was undeserved? I would presume not because the activity figures given would have justified that position.

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2016, 10:35   #102
Clouds

Clouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to beholdClouds is a splendid one to behold

It's only really a reprensitive from Norse whining about this new feature, who are a renowned offense alliance.

Looking at the stats:

Top Defence Sharing Alliances:
Code:
+------+--------------+-----------------+
| Rank | Name | Fleets Launched |
| 1 | RainbowS | 1420 |
| 2 | NewDawn | 1296 |
| 3 | Black Flag | 997 |
| 4 | p3nguins | 847 |
| 5 | Faceless | 378 |
| 6 | Howling Rain | 238 |
| 7 | Conspiracy | 146 |
| 8 | Norsemen | 95 |
| 9 | IRONFIST | 10 |
Top Defence Sharing DCs:
Code:
+------+------------+--------------+-----------------+
| Rank | Nickname | Alliance | Fleets Launched |
| 1 | Exor | NewDawn | 372 |
| 2 | munkee | p3nguins | 289 |
| 3 | Joseph | RainbowS | 287 |
| 4 | Judge | NewDawn | 245 |
| 5 | Clouds | Black Flag | 231 |
| 6 | Hobster | Black Flag | 223 |
| 7 | ArmAgeddon | Black Flag | 217 |
| 8 | jnz | RainbowS | 183 |
| 9 | Rgat | Howling Rain | 176 |
| 10 | green_cat | RainbowS | 158 |

You can clearly see that the less formidable alliances are on top using this feature and I still believe that this benefits the less active alliances giving them a fighting chance.

Black Flag for example used the alliance-fleets to an extent, but we mainly had people come on and offer defence rather than using the AF as the main source of defence. You can clearly see that Rainbows and NewDawn benefitted from this feature much more than Black Flag did.

I'm quite sure that if p3n plays properly next round, the AF system will improve their defence and they will be able to compete better than they have in the past. Scrap it and you go back to Ultores dominating where other alliances can only compete at their level by blocking.

Norse has their owns strategy, which is planet ranks by attacking and have minimal defence whereas other alliances like to defend. Just because Norse likes to attack and this AF system makes it harder for them to land doesn't mean the AF system should be scraped. That's quite naive thinking.

Rainbows played a much better round and I noticed a big increase in their defence capabilities.

The PA team needs to take this into consideration that it is helping less active alliances compete better which is what this game needs. Or they can remove it to keep half assed alliances like Norse happy.

Last edited by Clouds; 8 May 2016 at 11:14.
Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2016, 12:40   #103
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booji View Post
My conclusion was very specifically 'deserved' i.e. I think that such activity should be better rewarded than it was and as such had little to do with facts and much to do with opinion.
I disagree, but this is a reasonable position.

Quote:
If they had come first or second and the only information available to you on the round were those figures would you have said that the position was undeserved? I would presume not because the activity figures given would have justified that position.
No, I would not, because winning the game requires more than launching as many fleets as possible. A variety of other factors play a role in determining who does well and who does not, such as fleet efficiency, value preservation, internal coordination, target picking and politics.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2016, 14:54   #104
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
If they had come first or second and the only information available to you on the round were those figures would you have said that the position was undeserved? I would presume not because the activity figures given would have justified that position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
A variety of other factors play a role in determining who does well and who does not, such as fleet efficiency, value preservation, internal coordination, target picking and politics.
I did not deny that other things have a role. I said that taking their activity and excluding other factors they deserved better. I am very much for the position that everyone (at least every alliance - less sure about individual ranks) deserves the position they get when ALL factors are included (unless there is massive cheating). Hence I was admiring a factor in isolation. My initial post did not make this clear, but it also never said anything about other factors either, it was meant as looking at just the one.

Otterly an Otter.

Last edited by booji; 8 May 2016 at 15:10. Reason: added a proviso about cheating
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2016, 15:21   #105
Sandvold

Sandvold will become famous soon enoughSandvold will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouds View Post
It's only really a reprensitive from Norse whining about this new feature, who are a renowned offense alliance.

Looking at the stats:

Top Defence Sharing Alliances:
Code:
| Rank | Name | Fleets Launched |
| 1 | RainbowS | 1420 |
| 2 | NewDawn | 1296 |
| 3 | Black Flag | 997 |
| 4 | p3nguins | 847 |
| 5 | Faceless | 378 |
| 6 | Howling Rain | 238 |
| 7 | Conspiracy | 146 |
| 8 | Norsemen | 95 |
| 9 | IRONFIST | 10 |
Top Defence Sharing DCs:
Code:
| Rank | Nickname | Alliance | Fleets Launched |
| 1 | Exor | NewDawn | 372 |
| 2 | munkee | p3nguins | 289 |
| 3 | Joseph | RainbowS | 287 |
| 4 | Judge | NewDawn | 245 |
| 5 | Clouds | Black Flag | 231 |
| 6 | Hobster | Black Flag | 223 |
| 7 | ArmAgeddon | Black Flag | 217 |
| 8 | jnz | RainbowS | 183 |
| 9 | Rgat | Howling Rain | 176 |
| 10 | green_cat | RainbowS | 158 |

You can clearly see that the less formidable alliances are on top using this feature and I still believe that this benefits the less active alliances giving them a fighting chance.

Black Flag for example used the alliance-fleets to an extent, but we mainly had people come on and offer defence rather than using the AF as the main source of defence. You can clearly see that Rainbows and NewDawn benefitted from this feature much more than Black Flag did.

I'm quite sure that if p3n plays properly next round, the AF system will improve their defence and they will be able to compete better than they have in the past. Scrap it and you go back to Ultores dominating where other alliances can only compete at their level by blocking.

Norse has their owns strategy, which is planet ranks by attacking and have minimal defence whereas other alliances like to defend. Just because Norse likes to attack and this AF system makes it harder for them to land doesn't mean the AF system should be scraped. That's quite naive thinking.

Rainbows played a much better round and I noticed a big increase in their defence capabilities.

The PA team needs to take this into consideration that it is helping less active alliances compete better which is what this game needs. Or they can remove it to keep half assed alliances like Norse happy.
Don't think anyone in norse is really against the ally fleet feature. More like we don't see how it's great for the game. Only thing i dislike about it is that i think it will be more ptargeting/gangbanging on alliances since it's harder to land a few single waves when it's easy to launch the ally fleet, but that's no big deal for us.

For norse def wise it's acutally better. Even less use to get up during the night
Sandvold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2016, 16:04   #106
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
I did not deny that other things have a role. I said that taking their activity and excluding other factors they deserved better. I am very much for the position that everyone (at least every alliance - less sure about individual ranks) deserves the position they get when ALL factors are included (unless there is massive cheating). Hence I was admiring a factor in isolation. My initial post did not make this clear, but it also never said anything about other factors either, it was meant as looking at just the one.
The arguments being made against the "allie fleet" is that activity infact wont be rewarded, and the deciding factor of the game will be politics, wich perhaps is both the most predictable part of the game, and the most random part of the game.

To stop round stagnation, blocking is a vital part of the game, but as we have seen many rounds blocking/gangbanging/politics will often lead to a stagnated univers where there is a food chain wich of the top alliance dont get hit enough to lose roids/ground, a group of smaller alliances that is supporting the top alliance is getting farmed by the rest, while the roids eventualy float up onto the top alliance.

When alliances finds out they cant solo roid any tags anymore, gangbanging will appear just to get a normal(not ult) alliance to go into red.

Now this is just speculation, but if this change will make it harder to break through alliances defence with only one alliance, what has happend to ultores over the past few rounds would be a neccisity for landing tier 2/tier 3 alliances aswell, not to the same extent though.
Say ie CT wanted to attack and land on p3nguins, who earlier would start leaking roids after 40 incomming fleets, now they would have to make sure they get another 20-30 incommings to be sure they would be able to break through their defence.
Lets say that CT/FL/BowS/P3ng would be able to cover all nights/days with 70> incs. That was almost 70% of every night/day of r65

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2016, 17:06   #107
fortran

fortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the rough

Imo if the defense capability of those other alliances increases, they will be able to be something more than bystanders and roids source, I think this is one major cause of stagnation.
Unread 8 May 2016, 17:08   #108
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I agree. I like the alliance fleet feature in principle, but we should carefully watch how it affects the fundamental balance between attack and defense. I suspect we'll have a clearer picture of that balance at the end of next round

[edit] It appears I misunderstood your post at first reading. We're talking about 2 related but separate things.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 8 May 2016 at 21:10.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2016, 17:18   #109
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortran View Post
Imo if the defense capability of those other alliances increases, they will be able to be something more than bystanders and roids source, I think this is one major cause of stagnation.
There can only be one winner, and it has never been 8 alliances challenging for the win. Its against he law of nature.

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote