User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 24 Mar 2008, 17:28   #1
[FC]Imperial

[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light
IRC Guide

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this. I will be laying this out in a way that it will appeal to new IRC users who are not ‘skilled’ in its use. If you know a fair bit about IRC already you will know most of what I will cover here today, if not it all.

What is IRC?

IRC is shorthand for Internet Relay Chat. It is basically a Chat room network. You can create a channel for pretty much any purpose (am sure there is some restrictions that apply i.e. sexual content and profanity). You will find many channels on IRC. A lot are public channels for fun others are private for alliance use only (if you join an alliance they will give you all the details needed to access their private channels).
Why use IRC?

1. It allows for real time communication between alliance members, which makes alliance more efficient.
2. It is cost effective. Access to the IRC server is free and you do not need to pay to register any channels (although the IRC Client you use may have a fee).
3. Creates a large community which can make playing this game a lot of fun as you get to meet new people which can become friends. It’s not always about war

How do I connect to IRC?

To connect to IRC you need two things, the server address and an IRC client. An IRC client is an application that is used to using IRC; this can either be a web-application or a full application which you would need to download.

IRC Server: Netgamers (irc.netgamers.org Port: 6667)

Clients:

Web-Application: Click on Com Unit on the Planetarion overview page. This will pop up another window or tab asking if you wish to launch the client. There aren’t really any settings to configure with this. Just connect, tell it which channel you want to join and you also need to pick a nick name.

Application: mIRC is the most popular client out there. You can download this from http://www.mirc.com. When you down load you get a free trial, but after the trial you can still use this software without purchasing it. Before I go over mIRC settings let me introduce you to how netgamers works and common commands you will be using whilst on their server.

Netgamers

Netgamers runs a bot called P. This bot controls the entire server and operates channels that users create. Now for best use of this server you will need to register a nickname (usually the same name you want to use when you are on IRC). Go to http://www.netgamers.org, on the top right of the screen you will see the login box, just underneath that there is a register link. Click that and follow the instructions. Do not use a hotmail email address when registering, unfortunately they do not work with netgamers. You will need a different address even if you have to sign up for a new one, just for this. Yahoo and google mail works fine. After you have completed sign up you will need to use this new Netgamers account to authenticate your IRC client with P. This will be the first command I show you below, and this needs to be done every time you connect to Netgamers IRC Server.

Commands

Login: /msg [email protected] login username password (remember to use your Netgamers account username and password, not your Planetarion info)
Join a channel: /join #channel (channels always have# in front of them)
Join a secure channel. There are two ways to secure a channel, either by using a key (password) or setting it to invite only which is the most secure.
With key: /join #channel key
Invite only: /msg p invite #channel
/join #channel

Only users who have been granted access to a channel can use the invite command to it, which is why you have to authenticate your IRC client.

Auto Invite: /msg p set #channel autoinvite on (this will set P to invite you to the channel when you login to P.)

mIRC Settings

Now I will go over some mIRC settings. I waited till now as we will put some of the above commands into use with mIRC, so it was best for you to know them first.
When mIRC is loaded, click on the options button, which looks like a folder with a hammer next to it.

Click on connect. Here you can set your nickname and an alternative nickname in case you have a connect error, sometimes your old connection leaves a ghost which will stop you taking your main nick until it pings out.

Now click Server. Here you have a list of all servers. Find netgamers in the list and double click it.

Now click options. Tick the check boxes for;

1. connect at start-up
2. Reconnect on disconnection
3. Move to top of list on connect
4. Check for timed out connection
5. Preserve nicknames.

Some of these may be ticked already. Also make sure the default port is 6667. Now click on Perform, this is below the default port.

A new window will pop up cann Perform. Tick the check box (enable perform on connect) it’s the only one. You can leave Network set to All Networks. Below there is a text box to list all the commands you want to run when you connect to IRC. Put the commands like this;

/mode $me +x
/msg [email protected] login username password

These are the main ones. You do not need to put the auto invite command in here, once which has been set you can forget about it.
The mode command I specified will hide your IP from other users of IRC. The Netgamers server is generally a safe place but it is still best to be discreet.
Here you can also list join commands for channels you do not get an autoinvite to.

Now click on IRC. You will see a lot of checkboxes. We want to make sure 5 are ticked. These are;

1. Auto-join channels on invite
2. Rejoin channel when kicked
3. Rejoin channels on connect
4. Keep channels open
5. Hide channel key

Useful Channels:

#cservice - for help with anything P or Netgamers related.
#support - for help with anything Planetarion related.
#planetarion - a place to meet other Planetarion players, usually over 100 users in here at a time.

Ok I think that is enough to get you up and running. If you need further help find me on IRC in channel #dwellers and I will assist you.

-Imperial
F-Crew Recruitment HC

Last edited by [FC]Imperial; 25 Mar 2008 at 18:05.
[FC]Imperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2008, 19:26   #2
Jezz84
DDK

Jezz84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IRC Guide

ty at least ur living up to ur "training alliance" again

now i can spam it to the shit nubs ingal \o/

DDK - Death Defying Killaz
JoV - Joy of Villainy
FAnG - Furious Angels Next Generation
Eclipse - Eclipse
CT- Conspiracy Theory
VS - Volkstaat
Urwins - Urwins
NoX - NoX

Jezz84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2008, 20:59   #3
Ace
PA Team

Ace is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the rough

Nice one imp thx for this help for the new players.
#multihunters
----------------------------
Former HC - Conspiracy Theory -
- Proud to have served as -
- High Commander and CEO -
[]LCH[] ...lets change history
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2008, 21:49   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nice. Move to Newbie Help and stickify please.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Mar 2008, 22:11   #5
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Tyvm!

Will save me having to repeat myself over and over again...
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2008, 01:45   #6
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Someone should add IRC clients for Mac OSX though. I'll assume most linux users have stumbled upon IRC at some point, otherwise there's X-chat which is the most like mIRC, irssi which is a bit harder to learn but very powerful and useful, and bitchx which I know only from reputation.

I think X-chat comes in a flavor for Mac as well, but I wouldn't be sure.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2008, 02:28   #7
[FC]Imperial

[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light[FC]Imperial is a glorious beacon of light

theres a newbie help section if only i knew hehe

np guys, hope it proves of use with training new alliance members and i hope random new players manage to find it too

Would be awesome if Cin could add the link to his usual forum post in game.
Unread 26 Mar 2008, 02:56   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FC]Imperial
theres a newbie help section if only i knew hehe
Not anymore . But between Strategy and the Helpdesk forum, we make do!

I'm linking it to my Useful Links thread on Strategy. Thanks mate, appreciated!
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2008, 09:16   #9
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

This post has "content for the portal" written all over it :-)

Good work impy

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2008, 12:57   #10
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
This post has "content for the portal" written all over it :-)

Good work impy
yes it doesn't, which is why it's now posted there, i didn't have time to do it last night, but now it's posted both ingame and on the portal.
We were gonna put one up, but never gotten around to actually writing it, and now we don't have to
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2008, 13:04   #11
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

you're all just making Imp's head bigger than it already is...good guide nonetheless

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2008, 14:22   #12
Juice
The liquid crusader

Juice is on a distinguished road

He's going to be insufferable now

Nice work Imp
Unread 26 Mar 2008, 14:23   #13
[FC]Imperial

my head can never get too big ent

wow it is really cool it has been put onto on the portal. Didn't expect that at all
Unread 26 Mar 2008, 14:33   #14
Juice
The liquid crusader

Juice is on a distinguished road

Can you document the ignore command now Imp, as all the people in F-Crew channels need to know it now.
Unread 26 Mar 2008, 15:24   #15
csillag

csillag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice
Can you document the ignore command now Imp, as all the people in F-Crew channels need to know it now.
Juice u meanie:P
well done, Impy

- retired -
csillag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2008, 15:27   #16
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

i see a treend in the people replying....

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2008, 02:03   #17
snoops^
p1mp

snoops^ has a spectacular aura aboutsnoops^ has a spectacular aura aboutsnoops^ has a spectacular aura about

my heart says ND my brain says Denial

ReBorn-Fury-Wolfpack-1up-Newdawn-DLR-NFI-Apprime-

*CEO of the Forest fan club
snoops^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2008, 09:34   #18
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoops^
my heart says ND my brain says Denial
?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 23:59   #19
PistNBroke

PistNBroke is an unknown quantity at this point

pffft i made one of these that pa team used rounds ago :P
R13-30 ROCK HC/DC/BC/Bar Tender
R37 on Ascendancy
R40 Special appearance for rock
HEROES WILL SMURF YOU UP
ROCK FTW!!!
<3 Orbit
PistNBroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2009, 11:56   #20
The-One

The-One is infamous around these parts

thx
The-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2009, 14:16   #21
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

nice post
Unread 25 Apr 2009, 18:39   #22
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought the 'C' originally stood for 'Client', because it was initially designed as a peer-to-peer file transfer system.

I'm not sure where I heard this, but wiki doesn't seem to agree!
Unread 25 Apr 2009, 19:43   #23
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

good idea, nice post and a nice guide.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote