User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 8 Jul 2007, 03:14   #1
Koyochi
underinformed peon

Koyochi is an unknown quantity at this point
More different usage for resource types , roid-target selector for podships

When I look to my own roids, or roids on scans of all the targets I can pick on, I see that almost everyone has about the same amount of every type. This makes me wonder why we even have 3 types of roids. You need the same amount of resources for covops or construction or waves, and you need to init roids with the kind of resource they produce. Everything in that means that there is no difference in the type of roids you have. The only big difference is in the production cost of ships.

I remember the days where I was selecting targets not only for their total amount of roids, but also for the kind of roid they had the most of. There were a lot more planets that were typically crystal-heavy or metal-heavy, depending on the race they played. There was a lot more need to select targets with certain types of roids, wich added a small level of tactics according to me. That was a good thing, I dont know why or when it went away, but something like that should come back imo.

Crystal, metal and eonium should get more specific uses, and there should be less of 'x costs same amount of every resource'. I understand that it will not be easy to change, because a lot of cost-calculations have to be changed again then. But it certainly should change at some places.

It can also be solved partially by making pods target certain types of roids more then others. Like 3 selection switches for roidtarget-% in every fleet slot on mission page. So you can make 50% of the surviving pods fire on crystal roids, 20% on metal roids, and 30% on eonium roids. After a while, most planets will get more roids of a certain type because of their targetting settings. And that might bring back that tactical layer of attacking planets that have the roid type that you need the most. Because in this round I need more metal, but the only realistic way to get that is by simply building more metal refinerys. And that's not a real challenge here.
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 06:32   #2
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: More different usage for resource types , roid-target selector for podships

I remember when people were much more willing to attack E heavy planets in order to cap more E roids to use as fuel - paying three or four times the price of a M or C roid in order to cap them. As such, initing E (which wasnt used for anything except fuel, and scans) was a bad move as it meant you received more incoming, thus making more incoming to those people with E roids increase more. It was a pretty vicious cycle.

Anyway, nostalgia aside, i think the original point of having the three different resource types was to try and encourage players to attack targets that they normally wouldnt try to take on in order to gain more of a specific type of roid - eg, you're a terran who can normally attack Cath well, but you need more M, so you take a "worse" Terran target in order to cap M roids. I think this concept has fallen by the wayside as statbuilders look at each race as a collection of ships (myself included) rather than the resources needed to build them, and the presence of galaxy and universal resource trading means that - although there is a 5% penalty - its still better to pick the target with the most roids, rather than the target with the best roid composition.

I suppose ways to promote the more varied distribution of roids, and to make them a more important deciding factor, would be to increase the difference in the resource costs of ships - eg, rather than being 40/30/30 M:C:E, make it like 60:20:20, or whatever, to really make players feel the pinch if they dont choose their targets with their roid composition in mind.

Similarly, changes to the way resource trading goes on with in-gal and more importantly in-universe resource trading (especially removing the rediculous 5% fee for only etd) would further add imputus to such an idea.

Though personally what i would like to see, and i have expressed elsewhere, is a system whereby you buy ships with money - currency - and you raise this currency by trading M/C/E on universal markets which are dynamic; if there is a glut of M in the universe, you receive less money for supplying M than you would for C, etc, however tomorrow there might be too much E and M becomes valuable and so on. That would be good, because you dont rock up to a shipyard and say "oi, i have half a million tonnes of steel, perspex, 14km of fibre optic cable, wood, sinks etc - now build me a battleship", you say "here's $1.5 billion, build me a battleship."

That's just what i reckon anyway.

So, Koyochi; why exactly were you wanting the resources to be more differentiated?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 10:40   #3
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

SpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really nice

I like the idea of having 3 settings for the pods to concentrate x% on this or that kind roid. It maybe needs a max of say 50%, even 60%?
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 14:05   #4
Koyochi
underinformed peon

Koyochi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
So, Koyochi; why exactly were you wanting the resources to be more differentiated?
1) mainly because I think your production needs should have a stronger influence in target picking. So that people might go for harder targets because of the different roids available there.

2) also a bit because it's just silly to see that almost everything costs the same of each resource. Eonium is indeed not a fuel anymore, its just 'roidtype nr 3'. It's like every race would have 3 ships of same class with the same targetting class, only slightly different attack/armor stats. That would be silly too, there needs to be difference in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
because you dont rock up to a shipyard and say "oi, i have half a million tonnes of steel, perspex, 14km of fibre optic cable, wood, sinks etc - now build me a battleship",
Well, in my unification government, I do
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 17:32   #5
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Without something like pods chosing roid types, making the roid ratios more important would make all races try and target themselves (or go etd ...) so I don't think we can have one without the other. You could seriously mess up someone else's ratio too!
Unread 9 Jul 2007, 13:39   #6
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Without something like pods chosing roid types, making the roid ratios more important would make all races try and target themselves (or go etd ...) so I don't think we can have one without the other. You could seriously mess up someone else's ratio too!
Well, if you're buying ships with money, and the resources only exist in order to exploit fluctuations in the universal exchange rates, this wouldnt be so much of a problem .

What would be good, was if the weaker (secondary) fleet was useful at gaining the roid types that you need the most, whilst the stronger (primary) fleet didnt. Thus, presenting a different set of choices for players.

Still, i'm not sure about the idea as a whole, as it essentially restricts targets (further).
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote