User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Apr 2003, 11:56   #351
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
Point 2: A phrase often used in football is "The best form of defence is attack". The powerblocks dont succeed simply because they defend each other but because they impose their power on teh community by showing their defensive and offensive power causinga fear of them amongst the masses. If you impose defence restrictions on alliances then to create this fear the empahsis would be moved to attacking and to gain the advantage forming a powerblock so you can take out rivals through attacking alone would become an ideal way of winning
Battlegroups cannot defend roids. A succesfull battlegroup works only on the winning side of the game as that is the side that can hold on to their roids. If a battlegroup has no foundations in a defence alliance every other battlegroup will just see their planets as roidfat and take them out without the risk of severe defence. Battlegroups might still be succelfull in attacks but keeping those is an entirely differnt matter. They cannot put pressure on the defence other battlegroups by attacking the alliances they are part of. Battlegroups without def backing them up will quickly become the main targets for others. don't think it will be easy as it is now especially if you create in game alliance that are not based on current alliancestructures who totally support battlegroup strategies.

There is always the chance new battlegroups might form based on the in game alliance created. They might be the ones most successfull as they have the attack capability of a battlegroup combined with the def capability of several ingame alliances and they can attack more focussed and at least partially send cover to each other.

hAl
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 12:14   #352
Mighty Max

In round four, I was a 20 million player with >2k asteroids.
Now because of the way the rounds have gone, I cannot get above one million without being bashed by some alliance or other.

Every night now for the last two weeks, I have been bashed and I cannot get my planet about 100 roids and one million score! This is making my round of planetarion rather hellish and a waste of money. I dont pay to get bashed night after night. I have had no fun at all. Now can somebosy actually say that this is fun? I don't think so.

These days you need to be in a strong alliance to actually do well, this I believe is verysad indeed. A game where you have to stay up all night and be in an alliance to actually do well is not a very good game! planetarion needs serious help if it is to recover.
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 12:15   #353
Borg
Proud NoSser

Borg is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to me, I have actually read every post here and that wasnt easy

I still say restart

Proud to be NoS

My views are my personal views and are not a statement from NoS
Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 13:25   #354
rUl3r

rUl3r has a spectacular aura aboutrUl3r has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Max

These days you need to be in a strong alliance to actually do well,
congrats, i realized that in r6 and again in r8....

iīve changed my mind about reset, i say no.
and iīve been nahr so i had hardly any chance ot grow properly (yea WeeT players had all chances) and even got roided kinda badly within a few days.. but hell, i canīt be arsed playing active atm anyways so i donīt care, just play on and pay back ingame. big cheater is getting screwed now
rUl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 14:30   #355
LordBrem

LordBrem is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Mighty Max
In round four, I was a 20 million player with >2k asteroids.
Now because of the way the rounds have gone, I cannot get above one million without being bashed by some alliance or other.

Every night now for the last two weeks, I have been bashed and I cannot get my planet about 100 roids and one million score! This is making my round of planetarion rather hellish and a waste of money. I dont pay to get bashed night after night. I have had no fun at all. Now can somebosy actually say that this is fun? I don't think so.

These days you need to be in a strong alliance to actually do well, this I believe is verysad indeed. A game where you have to stay up all night and be in an alliance to actually do well is not a very good game! planetarion needs serious help if it is to recover.

Max, how many pds have u built? And don't say zero. Get 500 pulse cannons, you won't have much inc...
LordBrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 14:52   #356
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by hAl
Battlegroups cannot defend roids. A succesfull battlegroup works only on the winning side of the game as that is the side that can hold on to their roids. If a battlegroup has no foundations in a defence alliance every other battlegroup will just see their planets as roidfat and take them out without the risk of severe defence. Battlegroups might still be succelfull in attacks but keeping those is an entirely differnt matter. They cannot put pressure on the defence other battlegroups by attacking the alliances they are part of. Battlegroups without def backing them up will quickly become the main targets for others. don't think it will be easy as it is now especially if you create in game alliance that are not based on current alliancestructures who totally support battlegroup strategies.

There is always the chance new battlegroups might form based on the in game alliance created. They might be the ones most successfull as they have the attack capability of a battlegroup combined with the def capability of several ingame alliances and they can attack more focussed and at least partially send cover to each other.

hAl
I dont really get how this got onto battlegroups from the discussion of limiting defence to your galaxy and your alliance but you really do seem to be underestimating the power of defence battlegroups give. Yes a battle group wont supply conventional defence but it supplies defence in the form of planet growth which is just as useful on the whole.

Membership of a successful battlegroup gives you an added advantage when it comes to attacking. This advantage leads to more roid gains for less ship losses thus a score boost for the minimuim amount of score loss. From these roid gains you then gain more resources, the more roids the more resources which then turn themselves into more ships, which results in more score and allows you to go on more attacks and come away with more roids and so on.

If your outside a major alliance so generally dont get to be part of one of these battle groups you then have a much lower score rise quickly making those in the groups too big for you to have a hope in hell of attacking. So immeidatly the fact youve been able to attack with such great success means you have gained yourself a great deal of defence becuase for much of the universe your untouchable. Even those your perhaps still in range off generally wont touch you becuase a)theres easier targets b)your in their alliance/powerblock/battlegroup or c)your alliance had a NAP with their alliance meaning until the big wars kick off your basically safe.

For this reason anything that restricts who you can call defence on is a bigger burden on the smaller players who cant call upon all their friends and aquatences and dont have the power to attack their way to a place which pretty much gives them ample protection from attack
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 15:26   #357
Mr. Juggalo
eia bro

Mr. Juggalo is an unknown quantity at this point
reset!

it'll be fun
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 15:48   #358
coza
Banned

coza is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice

Awesome idea
coza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 15:49   #359
coza
Banned

coza is an unknown quantity at this point
Other

What About Race Changes???
coza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 15:53   #360
Sythe.
Professional Vegetable

Sythe. is an unknown quantity at this point
You wanna fix the stagnation?

open up free accounts that are limited again. Yeah farmers will farm, but i cannot be arsed to go thru the entire restarting of a round again. And if that happens I'll just be another long time player to leave.

What this game needs is new players..... and to do that the game needs to be marketed to a fresh audience. So whoever is in charge, a silly little banner ad on a rotation for Jolt's pages is not enough. Spend a little $$ and market this game properly. PA is relying on word of mouth and existing players - well the general consensus is that the players are annoyed - so why would they tell ppl about the game in a positive light?

Some good courses would be Business sense 101 or maybe even Common sense 101 for the powers that control this once thriving community. If Jolt want to make money with this product, then they *NEED* to market the game a lot more aggressivly. Talk to UGO, talk to Gamespy, send emails out to Jolt's mailing lists.... do promotional deals.... try free for 2 weeks then pay... etc etc.... Its shocking how badly the business side of this game is set up. Not trying to be rude or insolent... but the way this game is managed from a business point of view reminds me of children.

bleh!

Unread 16 Apr 2003, 16:46   #361
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Sythe.
You wanna fix the stagnation?

open up free accounts that are limited again. Yeah farmers will farm, but i cannot be arsed to go thru the entire restarting of a round again. And if that happens I'll just be another long time player to leave.

What this game needs is new players..... and to do that the game needs to be marketed to a fresh audience. So whoever is in charge, a silly little banner ad on a rotation for Jolt's pages is not enough. Spend a little $$ and market this game properly. PA is relying on word of mouth and existing players - well the general consensus is that the players are annoyed - so why would they tell ppl about the game in a positive light?

Some good courses would be Business sense 101 or maybe even Common sense 101 for the powers that control this once thriving community. If Jolt want to make money with this product, then they *NEED* to market the game a lot more aggressivly. Talk to UGO, talk to Gamespy, send emails out to Jolt's mailing lists.... do promotional deals.... try free for 2 weeks then pay... etc etc.... Its shocking how badly the business side of this game is set up. Not trying to be rude or insolent... but the way this game is managed from a business point of view reminds me of children.

bleh!

I think your find the reason for not doing this is Jolt dont wish to promote this round. The round is old PA and not the new and fresh r10 PA.

You dont want to attract new customers for this round as it may put them off r10
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 17:19   #362
Soron
VGN HC

Soron is an unknown quantity at this point
rollback

this is all smells like a huge rollback...

and I hate rollbacks!!!!

Soron
Soron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 19:05   #363
Kalle
still Ensign??

Kalle is an unknown quantity at this point
/me pokes the creators

reset or not???
Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 19:16   #364
Buddah
Knight of Ni!

Buddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the roughBuddah is a jewel in the rough
First of all let me just say i didnt read all this, so if some of this has been said before its just because of my bad time, and if its lots of typos its just because im not on my regular pc but a laptop.

If This does happen i will be happy, but it should be so the when the shuffel happens name change also happen, and it should also be a must to change name, but the name change doesnt happen before shuffel.

me personally i would like to se the game start from scratch, but as i have understood, many players dont like that idea, so why not make it so that a certain res/con has been done, like 148 ticks, and with 48 hour protection as some new players come aswell.

I would also like private gals, like an option, where you could keep this private gal that you are in, or that you could enter a new, as new private gals would be more fun, and then you wouldnt have the blocks again, neither would you come in an inactive random gal, or with people you dont like.
And with private gals again i would like to se PA return to the stage that DoM is at now, just without powerblocks, with pure gals, atleast no more than 2 alliances, this would make the game more interesting and with more options.

Personally I wil join an alliance that is not powerblocking, nomatter of my previous thoughts of them, as i will not participate in power blocking,

Let me tell you an example from Dawn of Myth.
It all started last round, where xanadu, LDK, Oasis, and woe had made a block against templar, woe didnt want to participate in this so they left the block and joined the other side, that made that side extremely bigger, and they easily wiped that ldk,oa, xan side, now templar backstabbed woe and killed their saviors.
this round, My alliances Paladins of Light, had to choose what road to go, we had 3 blocks to chose from, but this round, templar had made a gigantic block, that seems hopeless to fight against, just because of this, I choose the road of neutral for PoL, with only 1 ememy the blocks, we stand as a single force agianst the big blocks, this is what i would like to se in PA, alliances going solo, no matter what the other alliances do.
Stating as an example to all, and making PA fun again.
that alliance i will join

Proud to be in the PoL Highcouncil
With the Light we fight
Buddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 22:52   #365
Hevneren

uhm

if this is done wouldnt the alliances be the winners on this. ecplipse, weet, wp will still roid all others and be on the top list :s
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 22:56   #366
woze

woze is an unknown quantity at this point
my final suggestion

/me cba to read pages 5,6,7

but here are my last oppinions i feel would bring devilishy fun times back to pa.

which ever parameters you set for the restart. make (starting ) private gals of 4 peeps*:e_bunny:

then do a shuffle :e_bunny:
and make every gal end up with a total of 24 members* ( lets see blobking survie this! )

wait wait im not done yet*

bring back ingal roiding*
set ingal attacking to C time
and only give the -1 eta to ingal defense.

think im done?... not yet*

for the icing on the cake i say:

:e_chick: THEN* hit the start button :e_chich:
woze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2003, 00:02   #367
Umk2

Umk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

bad idea. As some others said, the blocks can just form again and the same thing will happen. Better if we just ride this round through to the end and not waste time with something foolish with a round 9.5 just because of blocking. many people (including myself) wont be bothered to start all over again from scratch no matter what their current planet size is (big or small). As people are just starting to take advantage of the round in full (with mil/news scans etc) it would be very frustrating to have a reset and be forced to start all over again.
Umk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2003, 20:00   #368
anomnorway
SWaRM HC

anomnorway is an unknown quantity at this point
Fully agree with Umk2!

Unread 23 Apr 2003, 09:41   #369
Baco
-= Plush Puppet =-

Baco is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Buddah
First of all let me just say i didnt read all this, so if some of this has been said before its just because of my bad time, and if its lots of typos its just because im not on my regular pc but a laptop.

If This does happen i will be happy, but it should be so the when the shuffel happens name change also happen, and it should also be a must to change name, but the name change doesnt happen before shuffel.

me personally i would like to se the game start from scratch, but as i have understood, many players dont like that idea, so why not make it so that a certain res/con has been done, like 148 ticks, and with 48 hour protection as some new players come aswell.

I would also like private gals, like an option, where you could keep this private gal that you are in, or that you could enter a new, as new private gals would be more fun, and then you wouldnt have the blocks again, neither would you come in an inactive random gal, or with people you dont like.
And with private gals again i would like to se PA return to the stage that DoM is at now, just without powerblocks, with pure gals, atleast no more than 2 alliances, this would make the game more interesting and with more options.

Personally I wil join an alliance that is not powerblocking, nomatter of my previous thoughts of them, as i will not participate in power blocking,

Let me tell you an example from Dawn of Myth.
It all started last round, where xanadu, LDK, Oasis, and woe had made a block against templar, woe didnt want to participate in this so they left the block and joined the other side, that made that side extremely bigger, and they easily wiped that ldk,oa, xan side, now templar backstabbed woe and killed their saviors.
this round, My alliances Paladins of Light, had to choose what road to go, we had 3 blocks to chose from, but this round, templar had made a gigantic block, that seems hopeless to fight against, just because of this, I choose the road of neutral for PoL, with only 1 ememy the blocks, we stand as a single force agianst the big blocks, this is what i would like to se in PA, alliances going solo, no matter what the other alliances do.
Stating as an example to all, and making PA fun again.
that alliance i will join

Proud to be in the PoL Highcouncil
With the Light we fight
Well m8 we r talking about PA not DoM and tbh they can't be compared...I player 2 rounds of DoM and belive me, in PA things r too professional which makes the ideia of pure gals an huge mistake....imo.

r4 - 133:25:?? PTA
r5 - 35:7:?? MI/ViruS/NoS/PTA
r6 - 21:7:4 NoS/PTA
r7 - 21:4:12 NoS/PTA
r8 - 25:5:9 NoS / Titans & Plush / PTA
r9 - 24:2:7 Olympians / PTA
WC4 - 1:6:4 winner gal
r9.5 - 42:7:8 & 11:2:25 & 19:2:16 Olympians / PTA / Plush
r10 - XX:YY:ZZ RaH!
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 15:45   #370
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Now there's no longer stangation why would you bother resetting the round ? To appease those have lost ? People are always going to lose, if those who've lost bitch every round we'll end playing month long rounds.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 21:43   #371
Annie

Annie is just really niceAnnie is just really niceAnnie is just really niceAnnie is just really nice
I blame hicks for all of this.

Anne
34 Days of Incoming and Counting
Whining and b****ing since round 3.
Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2003, 18:52   #372
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
Now there's no longer stangation why would you bother resetting the round ? To appease those have lost ? People are always going to lose, if those who've lost bitch every round we'll end playing month long rounds.
Hmm. Make it half price and rounds 6 weeks and I'm in.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2003, 20:47   #373
Domin
500k posts

Domin is an unknown quantity at this point
i like this idea very much!

But everyone should not be allowed to look what others changed the name to so the only thing you should be allowed to do for 2-3 days is to change ur name. then before opening up shuffle!

round 2: 54:24:17 FA
round 3: 45:17:20 nos
round 4: 64:18:10 nos
round 5: 32:6:6 nos
round 6: 11:11:7 nos
round 7: 29:23:3 nos
round 8: 22:7:1 nos plush
round 9: 6:6:8 oly
round 13: Dont have roids so dont bother asking
Domin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2003, 23:29   #374
Copie
[Tired]

Copie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Annie
I blame hicks for all of this.
i blame canada
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2003, 01:30   #375
anomnorway
SWaRM HC

anomnorway is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Guess discusion is closed

From creators hour:

<CH> 19) ArchsteR (not in channel) asked: Will we re-do the poll about Round 9.5 now that WEET have split and VVOMM are breaking up? Might change a lot of people's decision.
<Kloopy> I'm glad this came up.
<Kloopy> Now that WEET and VVOMM are splitting up.
<Kloopy> We're getting a LOT less complaints about stagnation and boredom.
<Kloopy> Personally I'd change my vote now.
<Kloopy> I dunno about other people.
<Kloopy> But I think if round 9.5 is going to happen, it wouldn't happen for a few weeks still.
<Kloopy> We'd have to wait and see how the major alliances fight against each other.
<Kloopy> See how things pan out, etc.
<Kloopy> But in a few weeks there may well be no time for a round 9.5
<Prince>
<Kloopy> So stop holdiing your breath in hope if you were doing so before
<Kloopy> It was always said that round 9.5 was only an idea.
<Kloopy> And it looks like because of hte change in alliance politics it will never become more than an idea.
Unread 26 Apr 2003, 23:34   #376
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
So now the war has been decided. As expected it ended quickly. Are we gonna wait for another stagnation, possibly followed by another split?
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2003, 17:42   #377
Narziss
Mr. DaySleeper

Narziss is an unknown quantity at this point
Also from Creators Hour:

<CH> 30) Freedom (not in channel) asked: Don't you think that this idea of Round 9.5 is bad? I have noticed a sharp decline in people willign to play the game for the next two weeks until Round 9.5 starts because many people see it as a waste of time. Spinner instead of your idea having a posistive affect on the game it has had a huge negative affect in
<CH> thsi manner. I really do hope you do not go along with this plan as I strongly believe in it being a bad idea...
<Kloopy> As answered earlier...
<Kloopy> No, it looks unlikely that r9.5 will happen now.

----------------

And we should start a new discussion

LOL
Round 9: [ROCK-HBC]
Round 9.5: [ROCK]/[Wolfpack]
Round 10: [=***=]-> my last round

IRC-Channels: #Pack #Rock #TSU #Planetarion #Ministry
Narziss is offline   Reply With Quote