User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Mar 2004, 17:52   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Why are these words censored?

Planeteeah, and Star-sur-ph33r. You know what I mean.

- Planetarion shouldn't be afraid of competition. The forums for those games don't edit out the word "planetarion". Are the creators and team scared of the competition of a (to be blunt) superior game?

- People know they exist, no matter how much you want to put your hands over your ears and go "no no no no no". Censoring them doesn't make them non-existent.

- Unless it's in advert (Hey guys, come to this url for a great game) etc, they aren't doing any harm. They're comparing the two games. There are often threads in the other forums mentioning Planetarion and talking about history there. The mods there aren't so pathetic they need to ignore this game.

- If Planetarion and the people running it got off their arses and stoppd being so goddamn arrogant, and took in some of the people running these other games - or working with them (I'm sure they could be persuaded to) then you could probably offer a hybrid of the games. They could be run alongside each other, with the same name, and generate popularity for both.

It's just pathetic, sorry. Planetarion is dying. Preventing people from seeing other games isn't going to keep people here.
Unread 27 Mar 2004, 17:58   #2
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Why are these words censored?

I completely agree
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2004, 18:02   #3
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I completely agree
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2004, 18:16   #4
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I guess this has come over my insistance to edit them out everytime someone evades the censor. I'm just doing my job, its not up to me what words are allowed or not allowed.

Anyways, to answer the question. In the past those games have abused their accounts on these forums and blatently advertised their games. There were threads about why you should play SS etc. Thats originally why the game names were censored. Admittedly its not so much of a problem now a days, but the censor remains.

Those games are clones of PA, most of their players originate from PA and we have never gone to their forums advertising our game, thats why Planetarion isnt censored on their boards. If you want to go and talk about how good their games are then thats fine, i'm not stopping you from doing so, but go do it on the relevant game's forum.
Unread 27 Mar 2004, 18:41   #5
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I just went to look at the SS forums as i havent seen them in a long time. It seems, similarly to us, they have a no advertising rule, and a no censor evasion rule. I'm not quite sure how they deal with PA topics, as i dont read the forums, but i am sure if PA players went over there advertising our game on their forums we would get put on the censor list and be treated in exactly the same way. We arent trying to deny their existence, but we dont see the need for them to come and piss in our back yard as it were.

The ******** forums dont have a set of rules yet, so i guess it all goes on mod discretion, and seeing as most of their mods are ex/current PA players its hardly surprising PA discussions occur.
Unread 27 Mar 2004, 19:20   #6
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Because :

1. PA Doesnt allow advertising on its forums unless it is paid for.
2. When people advertise it usually involves 20 posts all saying 'come to xxxxxxx game'
3. It can get very tiring editing out the name and link url to every game pa competes with.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2004, 21:36   #7
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I completely agree
Unread 28 Mar 2004, 03:26   #8
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
Because :

1. PA Doesnt allow advertising on its forums unless it is paid for.
2. When people advertise it usually involves 20 posts all saying 'come to xxxxxxx game'
3. It can get very tiring editing out the name and link url to every game pa competes with.

Say hello to my little friend....
Unread 28 Mar 2004, 23:17   #9
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts

I kinda agree with Tomkat.

It is quite funny that as an almost daily visitor I have never ever seen anyone 'advertise' any of the above mentioned games as aggresively as either JC or JammyJim claim. I also believe most readers of these forums don't rate the content of a discussion as 'advertisement'. The annoying moving logo's in the top of this forum, -those- are advertisements. This in my humble opinion makes the 3 points JammyJim posted quite out of context and it is quite odd that a moderator would check another game's forum just to defend his own forum rules and actions. Anyways i guess when people need a reason to justify something, someone will always find one.

http://pirate.planetarion.com/announ...uncementid=126

"Lifes unfair. Deal with it"

Death to freedom of speech
Unread 29 Mar 2004, 05:35   #10
Blazde
Elysium

Blazde is an unknown quantity at this point

The makers of PA clones are all thiefing scumbags that are too lame to think of their own ideas and should be murdered in horrific ways. I couldn't care less if I never see the words *******, **, ***, *********, ***, ****-*****, etc, etc... ever again in my life.

That said, a blanket ban on all these words does hint of paranoia. You almost run the risk of making them seem attractive because they're forbidden. Legal action to shut them down properly would be my preference.
Blazde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2004, 07:44   #11
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

actually, to verify this, the ammount of advertisment for assorted games was quite the annoyance a while back, so the decicsion to block certain names (afaik: only the names of games that has been advertised to an ammount where it becomes stupid).

Now, I realise that some of you may disagree, but I dont understand why you would want to put the word of a "competing" game in the contex of a discussion around here. especially in a forum called "planetarion".

So basically, the words should stay censored simply because of the fact that PA does NOT allow advertising for rip-off games on their forums.

This is not a problem for anyone besides a silly few who wants to change the world, and starts with the PA censor list.
Unread 29 Mar 2004, 17:40   #12
Blazde
Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Idler
I dont understand why you would want to put the word of a "competing" game in the contex of a discussion around here. especially in a forum called "planetarion".
Huh? Competing games which are almost exactly the same as Planetarion are surely a very natural and on-topic line of discussion on a forum called "Planetarion Discussions".
Unread 29 Mar 2004, 17:56   #13
JC
lolly roffle

Planetarion Discussions is a forum for discussion about Planetarion not just any game that might be similar.
Unread 29 Mar 2004, 18:13   #14
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazde
Legal action to shut them down properly would be my preference.
Oh no, not the lawyers!

I have already had one person try to sue me, and he was prescribed large amounts of mind altering drugs. Strage fellow.
Unread 30 Mar 2004, 00:42   #15
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Quote:
The makers of PA clones are all thiefing scumbags that are too lame to think of their own ideas and should be murdered in horrific ways.
Ahhh yes... Planetarion.. the 1st ever space based strategy ... oh wait.. nope. The 1st tick based style game then? Gah, no again. The 1st 'clone' of Utopia but with a futuristic theme? Perhaps.

Please use both your brain cells before you open that mouth of yours. Thanks.
Unread 30 Mar 2004, 02:20   #16
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging.retard
but with a futuristic theme
OK, well first, how a game decides to keep time or the fact that a game may have battles, or the fact that a game is online, doesnt make it a clone. Thats why McDonnalds can't make it so they are the only one with a 99cent menu, they are the only one with fries, and they are the only fast food place. That is a frame or a genre of a game... back in our case.

the fact that PA took the game to a new level with a new concept makes it unique. Its totally different from Utopia. ITs the combination of characteristics that makes it unique. Planeta is 100% clone... and ********** is (or was) exactly the same as planetarion with the exeption that you have to change primitive into refind..., lame. Thats it... really. They are the same game, broken into the same galaxies, clusters, everything is the same. PA has changed the game now.... and the clones will aswell. because they are cloner.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2004, 02:28   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Because Planetarion doesn't really want to lose customers (even if it's only one) to some other similar game. Last time I checked McDonalds didn't have some guy just inside the door telling every customer that the burger king down the road sells it's burgers 50 cent cheaper.

And yeah there used to be a fair few advertisements on the boards from other games. Mostly it was just crap spam and not even a sensible discussion of the relative merits of planetarion versus game x. You didn't see them dain because back then mods were faster than ben johnson being chased by a drugs testing committee (hello idlar).
Unread 30 Mar 2004, 02:47   #18
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

sigh...

Many of you may not have been using these forums since PA R1. As such you will be unaware as to why many of the rules exist and why we censor some words.

Originally we censored words which were used by people actively advertising their own game which inevitably was a rip off of planetarion. Planetarion requires payment for advertising to such a wide audience. We do not give it away for free.

However, although this is the primary reason there does exist another. Several people took it upon themselves to take the URL of the game they wanted people to go join up at and then spam this throughout every thread. Sometimes theyd even create their own threads every 60seconds and spam entire forums with 'GOTO XXXX.COM ITS GREAT'

If every thread on a forum had 'goto xxx.com its great' in the thread it makes far more sense to merely add the offending xxx.com to the censor list instead of having to have a moderator edit it every single time.

Now obviously the spat of 'goto xxx.com' morons who occasionally appear has subsided. Either because we censor most of the competition or because theyve forgotten about little old PA.

Either way,
The Rules and Censored words have come about because of a reason. Its not just because we are paranoid about competition. We do require money for adverstising and this has always been the case. However in most cases the words were added because of a spam monkey who was intent on causing havoc whilst advertising his new game to the world.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2004, 02:48   #19
Blazde
Elysium

What Qd said and...

I would hope you ban advertisments of any kind. The question is why the complete paranoid ban of all mention of these games which are (despite being illegal) very closely related to PA and bound to crop up in discussions. For those disputing that, just look at all the legitimate posts (not advertisments) which do infact mention them. Including many in this thread. [Edit: Guess I'll withdraw this question in the light of JammyJim excellent answer].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Oh no, not the lawyers!

I have already had one person try to sue me, and he was prescribed large amounts of mind altering drugs. Strage fellow.
You better hope you don't ever pirate anything I create.
Unread 30 Mar 2004, 13:22   #20
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You better hope you don't ever pirate anything I create.
Precisely what have I 'pirated'.

Please purchase a clue from ebay.com
Unread 30 Mar 2004, 18:56   #21
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts

First of all, if such spamming was the case, I guess this filter on certain 'words' is correct.

Second, I don't agree with JC that Planetarion forums should only be about Planetarion. I have been to quite some gaming forums and on those forums gameplay for the game is often compared in all aspects to that of other games in the same kind of gaming style.

Third, Planetarion and Plablabla can not be compared anymore. Not as a game because the game engine is totally different and 2nd because the one is a paid service and the other one isn't. So we are talking about comparing free public transport in a bus from 10 years old and paid transport in a modern bus with newer features.

Fourth: Yeah Dave, Yeah Blazde, this is the way to discuss things, make threats, take things out of context and plainly flame. I am proud of both of you. Now go back to mommy mk?
Unread 30 Mar 2004, 22:41   #22
Yeggstry
Connection Established...

Yeggstry has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Last time I checked McDonalds didn't have some guy just inside the door telling every customer that the burger king down the road sells it's burgers 50 cent cheaper.
I've seen a guy holding a billboard with "KFC, 200 yards" and a huge red arrow outside McDonalds a couple of weeks ago. He WAS talking to the public and telling them about how great KFC were compared to McDonalds.

will only be a short time before McDonalds get their rewenge

(p.s deliberate typo, black adder for you un-educated lot :P)
R5 - 36:10:16 (Armada)
R6 - 32:16:13 (ViruS)
R7 - 26:3:14 (Infection LT/ViruS TO) (#364 planet, #34 gal)
R8 - 4:3:1 then 3:8:4 (ViruS TO)
R9 - 47:10:5 (ViruS Gaming Community (VGC) Tech Op)
R9.5 - 23:6:4 (VGC Tech Op) (#462 planet)
R10 - 5:2:3 then 5:3:1 (ViruS/Eclipse, #419 planet), Portal Coder
R11 - retired from PA
Yeggstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 12:20   #23
-QS-
nub since 2002

-QS- is an unknown quantity at this point

The lesson to learn:

McDonald`s > PA
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 15:13   #24
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I forgot I'd made this thread ;o
Unread 15 Apr 2004, 11:12   #25
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think all people that left for clones left because people advertised the games here...The main reason for me to play PA which I must pay for instead of them clones that are free is that PA is the original and best. PA have less cheating and they do/did have a better community. The people who havent left by now surely wont be going due to seeing them clonenames on the forums now and then. We all know about them anyway.

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2004, 12:23   #26
ronnie
Kralizec

ronnie will become famous soon enoughronnie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'm not quite sure how they deal with PA topics, as i dont read the forums
we actually chat bout PA quite a lot as OO was run and manned by many many PA ppl etc etc

advertising to the extent u say 'come play this, its better etc etc' doesnt particularly happen and is pretty childish.

being able to compare situations in other games which r similar to PA must be at some level advantageous to PA as it allows ppl (creators, players etc) to compare yourself to the competition and have a wider scope.

*shrugs*

<Killmark> you do know what race i am right?
<Ronnie> is 'gay boy' a race ?
<Killmark> ronnie
<Killmark> stfu
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 02:17   #27
Bu||seye
Carebear

Bu||seye is an unknown quantity at this point

I mainly play PIA because the atmosphere's been a bit like PA "back in the days". I still do play PA at the same time though, because, as Jonas already said, it's the original, and there's still a lot of fun to it, even if you only cov-op one planet for ages because he annoyed your alliance mate once.
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 08:30   #28
Chippeh
Void of Sarcasm

Chippeh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Precisely what have I 'pirated'.

Please purchase a clue from ebay.com
Dave... I don't care if you stole the PA code directly, stole it from LH, or managed to code it yourself. I don't care if 'in the eyes of the law,' everything you've done it legal. The fact is you stole the game, anyone with any semblance of intelligence can see that, it amazes me that they still let you post here, clearly they have more tolerance then I do. But don't go around acting like you've done nothing wrong, because clrealy you have.

Granted, other games took it, like LH (don't know how close it is tbh, never played) but they at least made it fast ticks, changing some aspect of the game other then the ship names. In complete honesty I hope you, prince, and whoever else runs stolen games gets hit by a car, or gunned down, or anything along those lines.

etc
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 09:04   #29
Tesla
Custom User Title

Tesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippeh
Dave... I don't care if you stole the PA code directly, stole it from LH, or managed to code it yourself. I don't care if 'in the eyes of the law,' everything you've done it legal. The fact is you stole the game, anyone with any semblance of intelligence can see that, it amazes me that they still let you post here, clearly they have more tolerance then I do. But don't go around acting like you've done nothing wrong, because clrealy you have.

Granted, other games took it, like LH (don't know how close it is tbh, never played) but they at least made it fast ticks, changing some aspect of the game other then the ship names. In complete honesty I hope you, prince, and whoever else runs stolen games gets hit by a car, or gunned down, or anything along those lines.

etc
1. Be careful what u wish for, if he died tommorow today due to beein hit by a car or gunned down ur statement would look pretty silly.

2. He has changed an aspect of the game, he has 30 minute ticks, planetarion has 1 hour ticks.

3. Why is making a free game a bad thing ? It gives ppl an equal chance to play the game, wheter u have a creditcard or not. (Yes I know its not expensive to play planetarion, but come on.. pay for a browser based onlinegame ? lame.)

4. LH was crap, its graphics couldnt compare to that of Daves game. Also.. another thing Daves game has about 4-5 times the playerbase of planetarion atm, so go figure why ppl play it instead.
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 09:45   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal2112
Death to freedom of speech
Freedom of speech on a private forum would basically involve totalitarianism.

Having said that, nowdays have the censor in place seems illogical and kind of embarrassing. I understand why it existed back in the day, but that's not the situation now.

p.s. You can't "steal" code unless you actually go to the other persons house and erase it off their HDD. If PA can't make a game substantially better than their clones then they don't "deserve" to exist.

p.p.s. Hey I'm going to invent a new category of crime called anti-Danteism. If you disagree with me or insult me, you're guilty of anti-Danteism. However, this isn't catchy so like the Software industry I'll conflate this crime with a much more serious one, like they did with piracy. I'll call it dignity rape. Anyone who insults me is a dirty rapist.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 11:55   #31
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
p.p.s. Hey I'm going to invent a new category of crime called anti-Danteism. If you disagree with me or insult me, you're guilty of anti-Danteism. However, this isn't catchy so like the Software industry I'll conflate this crime with a much more serious one, like they did with piracy. I'll call it dignity rape. Anyone who insults me is a dirty rapist.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 16:56   #32
Chippeh
Void of Sarcasm

Chippeh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla
1. Be careful what u wish for, if he died tommorow today due to beein hit by a car or gunned down ur statement would look pretty silly.

2. He has changed an aspect of the game, he has 30 minute ticks, planetarion has 1 hour ticks.

3. Why is making a free game a bad thing ? It gives ppl an equal chance to play the game, wheter u have a creditcard or not. (Yes I know its not expensive to play planetarion, but come on.. pay for a browser based onlinegame ? lame.)

4. LH was crap, its graphics couldnt compare to that of Daves game. Also.. another thing Daves game has about 4-5 times the playerbase of planetarion atm, so go figure why ppl play it instead.
1. I don't go around wishing for stuff I don't want, if it happened, I'd be glad

2. And thats the only thing he changed, and thats not even to the point of making them 'fast ticks'

3. Never said making a game free was a bad thing, but if he wanted to do that he should have Made his own game

4. I stated I never played LH, and all your comment does is make it more obvious that Dave ripped PA off. And of course his game has more people, if a free option is available for a game, people are going to go to it, the point is, it shouldn't be there.
Unread 19 Apr 2004, 15:59   #33
Tesla
Custom User Title

Tesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippeh
1. I don't go around wishing for stuff I don't want, if it happened, I'd be glad

2. And thats the only thing he changed, and thats not even to the point of making them 'fast ticks'

3. Never said making a game free was a bad thing, but if he wanted to do that he should have Made his own game

4. I stated I never played LH, and all your comment does is make it more obvious that Dave ripped PA off. And of course his game has more people, if a free option is available for a game, people are going to go to it, the point is, it shouldn't be there.
1. lol.. so basically u want a guy to die cuz he made a onlinegame similar to the one u "respect" ? riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight; this basically makes u currently the sadest geek on earth. CONGRATS MAN!

2. The stats arent similar to any round of planetarion currently, the ship names are different, the gfx are different.

3. HE DID

4. My comments matters not, I dont have any relevance or any position in Daves game.
Unread 19 Apr 2004, 16:21   #34
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Other than point 3, I have to agree with Tesla.

Especially in your capacity as part of the PA staff, these statements are fairly ridiculous - people have been sacked for less.

Last edited by Leshy; 19 Apr 2004 at 16:26.
Leshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2004, 19:43   #35
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
3. HE DID
If PIA is so innovative and new, why is their new shipstat page found here titled 'Planetarion Round 8 Battle Calculator - Stats'?

PIA really isn't just run by thieves, but by crappy ones too \o/

Last edited by Leshy; 19 Apr 2004 at 20:05.
Leshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2004, 19:50   #36
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The fact that that link doesn't work because of censorship made me smile.

But Leshy, don't call it thieving, you're too for that.
Unread 19 Apr 2004, 20:10   #37
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Link fixed.

And although I largely share your views on intellectual property, I would argue in this case that PIA is competing with PA and using a more than close resemblance of it's own system to do so, making it fairly lame at the very least
Unread 19 Apr 2004, 23:20   #38
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
If PIA is so innovative and new, why is their new shipstat page found here titled 'Planetarion Round 8 Battle Calculator - Stats'?

PIA really isn't just run by thieves, but by crappy ones too \o/
I'll admit its not innovative, nor is it new and he definately used A LOT of planetarions concept.. But its not planetarion, and he made it, thats why I call it "his own game".
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 07:22   #39
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I'll admit its not innovative, nor is it new and he definately used A LOT of planetarions concept.. But its not planetarion, and he made it, thats why I call it "his own game".
So if I cut 52 pieces of paper and draw spades/hearts etc on it and repalce the balc and red by yellow and blue, it's no card game but "my game"?
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 09:43   #40
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
But its not planetarion, and he made it, thats why I call it "his own game".
I heard a rather different version of events, in which he didn't "make the game", but took off with LH code instead

Considering the rest of the game isn't particularly original (name, graphics, stats, gameplay) and it relies on people who got kicked out of Planetarion because they were abusing their powers and the game (lo Prince, lo Killmark), PIA is imo a cesspool I'm staying well away from.
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 10:35   #41
JC
lolly roffle

<3 Leshy <3
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 10:40   #42
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
I heard a rather different version of events, in which he didn't "make the game", but took off with LH code instead

Considering the rest of the game isn't particularly original (name, graphics, stats, gameplay) and it relies on people who got kicked out of Planetarion because they were abusing their powers and the game (lo Prince, lo Killmark), PIA is imo a cesspool I'm staying well away from.
hurr hurr.. I cant make u play now can I ? .. Point is there is now a free game for the ppl that liked old planetarion, and not this pax bs.. And thats always a good thing.
Its only a onlinegame, its not the start nor the end of the world
Unread 20 Apr 2004, 10:42   #43
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Martok
So if I cut 52 pieces of paper and draw spades/hearts etc on it and repalce the balc and red by yellow and blue, it's no card game but "my game"?
heh.. whatever. Id not play it if u did, whereas PIA is playable unlike pax. We could go on about this forever, and maybe even make geekboy tell the world more about wanting ppl he doesnt even know dead.
I'll leave my statements at this.

Tesla
Unread 21 Apr 2004, 04:34   #44
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
whereas PIA is playable unlike pax.

Playable? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this new round of ******** slightly delayed for reasons best left unstated?
Unread 21 Apr 2004, 04:39   #45
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

i really suprised that the moderators have allowed this conversation to go on for so long..isnt it time to move one. They are censored because PA team and Mods felt it was best for the community, end of discussion.. move on.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Apr 2004, 04:45   #46
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
And although I largely share your views on intellectual property, I would argue in this case that PIA is competing with PA and using a more than close resemblance of it's own system to do so, making it fairly lame at the very least
Oh indeed. I've never bothered with any PA Clones since none of them seemed to push the envelope at all (from my limited experience) so I didn't see the point.

There's plenty of easy ways you could make a PA-esque game but drastically different if you had the time / coding skills / inclination to do so. Some of the people running these games seem to have this, so I'm not sure why they stick to duplicating an old game.
Unread 21 Apr 2004, 12:46   #47
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
Playable? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this new round of ******** slightly delayed for reasons best left unstated?
Yes, Dave left so start got postponed *gasp* a whole week.. THAT OBVIOUSLY NEVER HAPPENED WITH PLANETARION
Unread 21 Apr 2004, 13:23   #48
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Yes, Dave left so start got postponed *gasp* a whole week.. THAT OBVIOUSLY NEVER HAPPENED WITH PLANETARION
It'll be moderately amusing to see if this date is kept. That and the quality of the game with the main creator gone.
Unread 21 Apr 2004, 13:56   #49
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It'll be moderately amusing to see if this date is kept. That and the quality of the game with the main creator gone.
Cant get worse than PA though.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Apr 2004, 14:08   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Cant get worse than PA though.
Now that's just mean