User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Nov 2003, 00:57   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Setting up users in WIndows XP

Its my computer, and i have the administrator rights and password. This computer is at uni, in the halls. ALthough its in my room, my room is basically the center of parties, gatherings, pre going out drinking etc. I have a lot of music on my computer that people sift threough and play all the time which is fine - however, i also have a lot of other files, in various forms that i dont want people seeing or reading etc for various reasons.

As of yet though i am unable to set up either a "limited" or "guest" account that fulfils this. Although my files arent accessible on the desk top - you can still access them through c - and even when they are hidden you can still choose the "search hidden and system files" option in F3 find - even on guest account

this is inconvenient, as im living with lads who enjoying ****ing up my files, etc. can you help me password protect or anything?

thanks,
deffeh

PS, im gonna reply to my other thread tommorow

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 01:03   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: Setting up users in WIndows XP

I think you need your files to be stored on an NTFS partition and using WinXP Pro, then right click the folder or file to adjust security policies.

You should be able to protect accessibility to folders/files to your admin account and any other account can not open them.

If you got Home Edition you're basically fked and probably need some sort of 3rd party software.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 03:52   #3
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Its pro, no worries. How would i go about setting up an NTFS partition?

Unread 17 Nov 2003, 07:35   #4
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You don't specifically need to create a new partition if your current filesystem is NTFS. Given that you're running WinXP Pro, this is very likely already the case.
Code:
This Computer -> Right-click any of your HD -> Properties
to see what filesystem it's using. It should say just above where it indicates what amount of space you have free. It'll be either NTFS or FAT32.
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 11:57   #5
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

FAT32 im afraid. Now what? And is it really as difficult as having to partition?

It amazes me the user-system is still so crap on Windows. A guest or a restricted user can access all the documents - can use the search function through C - and the advanced "search hidden files also" option - they can go tools/folder options/view show hidden files without any bother from windows

I remember it being like this on 98, but i thought by XP thered be a simple, easy way to password protect files and folders.

Unread 17 Nov 2003, 12:47   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
FAT32 im afraid. Now what? And is it really as difficult as having to partition?

It amazes me the user-system is still so crap on Windows. A guest or a restricted user can access all the documents - can use the search function through C - and the advanced "search hidden files also" option - they can go tools/folder options/view show hidden files without any bother from windows

I remember it being like this on 98, but i thought by XP thered be a simple, easy way to password protect files and folders.
just convert it to NTFS, windows can do it.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 13:13   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
just convert it to NTFS, windows can do it.
if you need more instructions, go into Help and Support feature in windows (SEE!!! there is a use for it )

And just search for "convert NTFS"

then follow the instructions and convert your partition/drive into NTFS
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 19:31   #8
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Excellent, done, files safe and untouchable on the guest account.

However, the guest account for some reason is devoid of Internet access. I connect through a VPN to my university server.

Any reason why i cant access the VPN through the guest account?

Unread 17 Nov 2003, 21:16   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

start -> run -> gpedit.msc

maybe there are network options to tweak to allow guest account to use the network.

also, when you mean "devoid" are you able to set up another network account on it? or do you have absolutely zero options for networks
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 16:46   #10
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

you're pr0n is safe now
Unread 2 Dec 2003, 17:24   #11
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh

Nah, you just don't know what your doing
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote