User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Nov 2004, 18:26   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
Bittorrent rapes home networks.

Is this normal?
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 18:46   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Bittorrent rapes home networks.

#define rape
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 18:49   #3
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I recognize this, it doesn't only makes the internetconnection incredible slow, but also the entire system it looks like (for me), like if the cpu has to make extra hours to keep those shitty bittorent clients running. It sucks.
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 19:57   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I recognize this, it doesn't only makes the internetconnection incredible slow, but also the entire system it looks like (for me), like if the cpu has to make extra hours to keep those shitty bittorent clients running. It sucks.
True, I found that BT is very inefficient with CPU and memory usage. All clients seem to suffer from this.
Using winbar I found that a few downloads use about 20% of my PC's CPU power which makes games unplayable. Also, every download can take up a lot of memory, over 100MB. It seems that BT doesn't flush it's download to the HD regulary enough.
About BT slowing connection a local network I don't know. I never noticed it. Although the internet connection suffers from the lack of upload throttling of the client.
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 20:31   #5
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've never had these problems with the default Bittorrent client.

It does kill off your bandwidth, but that is easily fixed with NetLimiter.
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 13:58   #6
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts

Use a different client.
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 03:02   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Azureus here, CPU usage is 1-3% at most, mem usage does increase over a period of time, say 12hrs, but nothing resource hogging about it really (just standard Java under Windows type issues ).

If i have it running while gaming then I limit the up/download of the whole client, but usually depending on the game, Azureus sees little of the CPU time and up/down rates are minimal anyway.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 03:38   #8
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had a problem with shadows experimental either (although now bitornado). The only rapage comes from the upstream but I can use the built in limiting feature without affecting my downstream rate.
Unread 14 Nov 2004, 11:11   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Never seen any processor issues myself.
And if your client is causing you trouble while you're gaming then its the work of 5 seconds to go into task manager and lower it's priority to "Below Normal". Problem solved.

[edit]
Processor usage of Azureus downloading 2 torrents.
Fair enough they're not going very fast at that point, but note the processor useage and time of Azureus.exe and javaw.exe in the task manager, compared to winamp.
Now bear in mind that winamp has been open ~15 mins and Azureus ~2 hours.

But yeah, I'll give it to you on the memory but I've got enough for it not to worry me.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 14 Nov 2004 at 13:31.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2004, 10:01   #10
nick
modest sagacity

nick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura about

about 6% cpu and 200MB ram being used on 20+ torrents. (Default linux client).
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 03:06   #11
DMZ
Ceçi n'est pas un avatar

DMZ is an unknown quantity at this point

After finding that the Bittorrent client recommended to me by Idi actually disconnected the machine from the network when "pause download" was pressed, I came to the conclusion that people who regularly use Bittorrent are beneath contempt and should be ignored or villified.

This means you.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 16:40   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That's fine, I'll carry on getting my TV epsisodes in less than the time it takes to watch them while you fumble around in the dark then.